richerich

Hello from Ottawa, Canada

Hello all,

I am new to the world of absinthe and have searched far and wide in the depths of the internet to solve a few questions I have. This forum is a sigh of relief after hitting into one dead end after the other. On my trip to Amsterdam two weeks ago, I walked into a shop selling Absinthe. I told the sales lady that I have never had absinthe and wanted to know what she would suggest. She pointed out to three bottles which varied in alcohol volume; 70% (Jacques Senaux), 80% (King of Absinthe) and 92% proof (Yellowish liquid with bugs in the bottle). Like goldilocks, I chose the bottle that wasn't weak nor strong but "just right."

Coming back to Canada, I was curious to know more about the bottle I purchase. I read more and more about thujone, woodworm, bit of the history of absinthe, and some of the debates here :tongue:. But all that investigation did not conclude to what I really wanted to know.

What's the story behind this bottle I purchased? :g:

I have yet to pop the bottle and intend to at a friend's wedding. All that a side, if you have any information please feel free to swarm me with knowledge.

P.S. And Yes, I know...that I shouldn't have chosen a bottle by alcohol volume but that's how the lady pitched it to my dumb ass and having no clue myself I went along with it :blush:

Thank you in advance, :cheers:

Riche

01-01.jpg02-01.jpg

I've never seen the particular travesty you purchased, (although, it seems like a ramped up rival of the infamous King of Spirits) but I can guaratee you that it's not absinthe as we've come to know and love it.

Any product purporting to be absinthe that hypes its thujone content on the label, and warns the excessive indulger of potential hallucinations is, most certainly absinth without the 'e' (which we tend to refer to around these parts as 'crapsinth)'. It will almost certainly not louche, or it will louche very weakly. In all likelihood, it's not actually distilled, but is probably a macerate of mostly wormwood steeped in cheap industrial alcohol. I'd also wager that your bottle is either of Czech or German origin, since those two countries are the most notorious for hyping thujone content.

I could go on for paragraphs, but I think it's only fair that I give my fellow absintheurs ample chance to join in the fun, and also help steer you in the right direction (which, in the case of Canada and absinthe selection, can, sadly, be quite limited). I'd be on the lookout for Taboo and Taboo Gold, though.

Welcome, and here's to more fruitful hunting in the future. :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe

Actually the label (if it is truthful) states "Produce en Aix en Provance", home turf for Lemesinthe and Versinthe.

Unfortunately I don't have high hopes for this offering, but you probably could have done worse.

Welcome to the WS, and check out the front site to avoid future similar purchases.

:cheers:

"Absinthe Warning

Handle with Caution

blah, blah, blah Hallucinations!"

I'm sorry to say, it has little to promise and seems to be everything we warn people about. What's the story? Hype and bullshit. I'll bet you a Canacastan Nickle it tastes awful. Put it on the trophy shelf as a lesson learned and find some good stuff in your home country (it's there).

And, welcome to the Forum! :cheers:

Nice to meet ya. :wave2: I wouldn't take it to any wedding. Now bachelor party?,Maybe. :twitchsmile: But you were kinda on the right track. It is green. ;) And youre definitely in the right place to gain a lifetime of knowledge on what absinthe is, and what it is not.

Drink it and enjoy it. Let it serve as a starting point. It will only escalate from here for you. Suppose you chose L'ancienne for your first forray. Man, it would be hard to top that. Welcome.

"Substances Vegetables"...should've had a V8.

That label is all text and no graphics. I'm surprised there isn't an eyeball on it.

My condolences, and welcome. :cheers:

Edited by Nathan (baubel)

Bless your heart, as they like to stay in our southern states here in the lower 48. I think most of us have started off with something less desirable but you've found us now so the sun is coming up over your horizon!

Welcome aboard! :cheers:

Thank you all. I appreciate the replies. The scope of knowledge here is pulling my passive curiousity in deeper (the obsession has begun to rise :dribble: ). I just purchased two Absinthe Glass and Spoon set and a Wormwood Carafes from www.absinthedevil.com. I'm hoping this purchase is set to last for the rest of my absinthe journey....who am I kidding, there are some beautiful glasses and fountains :dribble: that shall be in my possession someday.

As for the absinthe from Amsterdam, I'm just a little tiny bit embarrased :blush: . After some search, I was able to find a spot nearby where I can pick up a bottle of Kübler Absinthe. There is also the option of getting Vieux Pontarlier and La Clandestine but they are over my budget at this time but either of those will definitely be my next pick up. What are your opinion on these?

After having tried what is sold here locally, it will be time to step up the game with online ordering or speeding pass the American border right through customs with a worthy bottle of absinthe. Hell yeah! Can't wait. :punk:

Will keep you guys posted. Thanks!

And I humbly say get all three and enjoy yourself. From my understanding Kübler did a lot to get absinthe back on the market again and personally I enjoy it myself. Course I like the Vieux Pontarlier too. ALOT. Learn from others, but form your own opinions. Least that's how I see it anyway.

Searching the reviews area of the main site yields nothing regarding Jacques Senaux but a google search shows that this stuff comes in all colors of the rainbow (and a color that isn't even in the rainbow). Too bad(?) there's no name attached to the buggy 92 percenter. I'd give it a go but I can't promise that I'll enjoy it.

If Kübler is the only one in your price range, it will give you a much better idea of what real absinthe is than the fauxsinthe you picked up in Amsterdam. It's still far away from a good absinthe though.

VP and Clandestine however, are wonderful.

Welcome aboard!

As for the absinthe from Amsterdam, I'm just a little tiny bit embarrased :blush:

Don't be. Many, many of us have had as bad or worse as our first absinth(e). Truth is, that is why many of us are here: to try to help others learn about absinthe. :cheers:

My first was Hills. Now im sipping a L'Ancienne and have a slowly building collection of premium absinthes. FYI, I am in Canada as well, and have had no problem getting the good stuff. Unfortunately, the US brands are a little harder to get.

Welcome!

Santé!

Woot! Woot! :yahoo: Had my first absinthe yesterday night. It was a treat after a long day. After receiving my package from Absinthe Devil, I immediately opened the Kübler Absinthe and enjoyed the ritual known to absintheurs. I was not certain what to expect in terms of smell and taste. The smell of the star anise definitely hit hard but there was also a complexity that I was unfamiliar with. The louching made me giggle as I felt like I was a kid again awed at the gimmicks in the science museum.

My first glass was almost 5:1. This really brought the scent down and also tasted too diluted. My next glass was around 3:1 which allowed me to get a stronger sense of the essentials from the absinthe. After my third glass, I was buzzing but it was a normal alcoholic buzz not different from having wine.

I had read about the "lucid buzz" that absinthes offers and had come to expect it. I assumed that 3 glasses would be enough to open the window to this lucid world but to my upset it was just the common buzz. Were my sources false? Is there even such thing? Am I just another target of the myth that surrounds absinthe? Or could have Kübler altered their ingredients in order to fit to strict Canadian government regulations therefore nearly eliminating that "buzz"?

However, these questions does not take away the art and beauty behind absinthe which I have come to be absorbed by. There is still a lot of learning AND drinking for an amateur like myself.