HrtOFire

My choice...

Hello! I will be the first to admit I am a complete neophyte to the world of absinthe and to be perfectly honest I knew nothing about the mystique of the Green Fairy until a month ago. Shame on me! Being a lover of art, literature, music and all things fine I have no idea how it has, to this extent and for 49 years escaped my notice. I hide my head in shame and were it not for some degree of anonymity I would dare not admit such an oversight.

I am delighted at the opportunity to finally learn to "dance". It is my deep desire to get off on the right foot and not have my toes stepped on by tasting shameful poor excuses for the real thing and truly desire the overall experience, not only in effect of what I have read claims to be a rather clear headedness despite being liquor (which is beyond intriguing) but overall wonder in taste, aroma color and texture of this treat.

For my very first bottle, after careful deliberation I have decided on Roquette 1797 which I believe is a very fine choice. Sadly not in stock anywhere I can locate at the moment but it will be well worth the wait and gives me time to properly equip myself with the necessary accessories that will make this such a treat.

A belated birthday gift I await with baded breath!

Welcome to the forum, HrtOFire! I'm not familiar with the brand, but once your lips have kissed the green fairy, you will never be the same. Let us know how your first taste goes; I hope it is magical.

Hello. The FAQs and Brian Robinson's profile have a lot if very good info. A bit of reading, but a good way to to learn important things about absinthe. An Emile Pernot offering is definitely a good start. My $.02 on absinthe, it is a very tasty booze, especially for those of us with a Mediterranean palate. The only effect I get is from the ethanol, it makes me sleepy and freshens my breath. :) I never felt a secondary effect, other than a slight relief of tummy aches. But I do love the tastyness, and how each offering paints its own picture on my palate.

(sorry Brian to keep referring noobs fo your profile, but it's a veritable gateway of information)

I never felt a secondary effect, other than a slight relief of tummy aches.

Same.

(sorry Brian to keep referring noobs fo your profile, but it's a veritable gateway of information)

No need to apologize. That's exactly why I put it there. :cheers:

Welcome to the Forum! :cheers:

For me, it will always be very tasty booze that provided a strange opportunity to meet some of my dearest friends. I think that is extraordinary.

a rather clear headedness despite being liquor (which is beyond intriguing) but overall wonder in taste, aroma color and texture of this treat.
Indeed

For me, it will always be very tasty booze that provided a strange opportunity to meet some of my dearest friends. I think that is extraordinary.
Indeedy deed

Nice to meet ya. You could go ahead and order one of the fine domestic options and just jump in with both feet and play it by ear. Catskill Cellars will hook you up with a nice glass for $10 and a bottle or two and have you well on your way to enjoyment in about 3 days time.

Edited by Songcatcher

So many choices, it was truly mind boggling because there's so much info and therefore, so much misinformation out there. I was glad to find this site and spent a good long time here educating myself and choosing a vintage that would please my palate. Not much about anise after a serious mishap in Greece with some Ouzo many long years ago. Took me years before I could eat Good-n-Plenty again...!. And yet, it is an integral part of the trinity and to be without it would not be Absinthe. Blended I am hopeful it'll all be great....yes, for sure. Thanks for the "hellos", all. Secondary effects or not, it simply sounds superb.

Edited by HrtOFire

So many choices, it was truly mind boggling because there's so much info and therefore, so much misinformation out there. I was glad to find this site and spent a good long time here educating myself and choosing a vintage that would please my palate. Not much about anise after a serious mishap in Greece with some Ouzo many long years ago. Took me years before I could eat Good-n-Plenty again....!. And yet, it is an integral part of the trinity and to be without it would not be Absinthe. Blended I am hopeful it'll all be great....yes, for sure. Thanks for the "hellos", all. Secondary effects or not, it simply sounds superb.

What the! Damned auto correct!

Edited by HrtOFire

Welcome to the forum. Lotsa info here - we all make mistakes so you don't have to!

Velcome.

Not a typo Abs.

Oh - the confusion the confusion! I need to change my name. I'm thinking "Abs0mphe"...

My $.02 on absinthe, it is a very tasty booze, especially for those of us with a Mediterranean palate. The only effect I get is from the ethanol, it makes me sleepy and freshens my breath. :)

I never felt a secondary effect, other than a slight relief of tummy aches.

Same.

No need to apologize. That's exactly why I put it there. :cheers:

Welcome to the Forum! :cheers:

Thank you all for the welcoming words. So nice. I plan to put some more time in to the reading, thanks Brian for doing all the footwork on the subject. Wonderful!

The oddity of friendships I have discovered in places one would never expect has led me to deep friendships across the globe. Isn't it good that the world is so much smaller than it was.

Mediterranean palate....hmmm....????

-no tummy aches-I'm good with that as an effect seldom seen from strong liquor.

I drink it at slightly stronger than wine strength. There is a handy calculator on the front page for watering your absinthe, it's a great tool for noobs and not so noobs.