Sign in to follow this  
sandpedlar

A well-stocked cabinet

Angel's share is a great find, but I like the cocktails (and atmosphere) better at Milk & Honey.

-Robert

Milk & Honey (and Pegu) got a great write-up in today's New York Times

However, the article also mentions a place called Employees Only that seems to employ Dr. O as their absinthe consultant.

Mr. Zaric also brews his own absinthe bitters...

Angel's share is a great find, but I like the cocktails (and atmosphere) better at Milk & Honey. And the recently opened Pegu Club is supposed to be the bomb... although I haven't been able to get to NY since they opened.

-Robert

:cheers:

I first heard of Milk and Honey a few years back. Always thought it would be a blast, but don't know anyone who has actually been there. Thought it might even be an urban myth. Do they still run it speak-easy fashion and only by apointment?

I first heard of Milk and Honey a few years back. Always thought it would be a blast, but don't know anyone who has actually been there. Thought it might even be an urban myth. Do they still run it speak-easy fashion and only by apointment?

I've been there, several times. I try to drop by whenever I visit New York. The owner has since become a friend of mine.

Yes, it still runs as a "speakeasy". To get in, you need to have a reservation. And their phone number is unlisted. They used to be very protective of it, and changed the number whenever they saw it listed on the web somewhere, but they've relaxed a bit and I don't think they've changed their number for a while.

The "exclusivity" of it is more as a result of the landlord not wanting a big "club" sitting there in the middle of the block (no other restaurants around). You can't even tell that the Milk & Honey is there since they "hide" their streetfront with a fake facade.

Inside, the atmosphere is very much a comfortable place to sit and drink -great- cocktails with friends.

-Robert

OK. I finally got a trip to the store in, and to begin with, this is what I've purchased:

Laphroaig 12 year

Glenlivet 12 year

Cutty Sark 1.75 L

Canadian Mist 1.75 L

Smirnoff 1.75 L

Tanqueray 750ml

Absinthe:

Montmartre

Clandestine La Bleue

François Guy

Kübler 53

Assorted:

cherry liquer

vermouth

Goldschlager

Butterschnapps

and a 2002 Chateauneuf-du-Pape

and a bunch of beer.

I'll be set for a while,I imagine.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

sand

No, I considered it, and then forgot to get it. I really blew the wad, as they say, so it will have to wait. I am not a rum fan, and neither a gin fan, but I still purchased the Tanqueray. You never know when a good recipe might pop up.

sandpedlar

I'll say, that didn't look like an inexpensive trip.

My bar mostly consists of Single Malt & Absinthe.

I do keep beer on tap (terrapin rye lately) & a crazy amount of wine.

Personally I love the Pegu Club and they have some very interesting house cocktails ( all made with top shelf fresh ingredients).

Now if only I could get the Bouncer at the door to start treating me like a customer rather than a tresspasser or vagrant.Maybe I should dress better.But then I would have less money for the important things in life.

Maybe I should dress better.But then I would have less money for the important things in life.

But dressing better is one of the important things in life. ;)

I'd say I'm well stocked, about 50 bottles of liquor/liqueur, 100 bottles of wine, and a dozen cases of beer/ale. Good rums from the Caribbean, single malts, Belgian ales, BUT I need more absinthe. Perhaps the day will come when the brands I want will be available here. Here in PA, all you can get is Pernod(not absinthe), and in NJ you can get Lucid. The shipping costs from Europe are killing me.

I knew there was a reason I liked this place! :dribble:

This is basically the method I eventually came to after years of living on my own in a college town, with what-ever-beatnik-nouveau-term friends:

Find a drink or two you really like, for me its Amaretto and Spiced Rum, and then find a bunch of simple cocktails featuring those drinks. Then just keep some stuff for that.

It lends itself to a lot of "lazy" versions of drinks, but in the end, if it tastes good, you got a winner.