The Traveller

A portuguese new member

Oh, and for the person who mentioned Fernando Pessoa (amazing poet, widely translated into english, read it!), he was one of the most famous absinteurs, along with his english close friend who visited from time to time, one Aleister Crowley...

Thank you for the info.

I have a very old Ancora Absinthe mini bottle that I got on Ebay a couple of years ago. I will try to get a pic of it soon.

Interesting. I suspected that something like that was going on in Portugal given the history of absinthe there. I had no clue it was actually sold there though. I've had a couple of various Portugese absinthes, the regular fare, and those certainly didn't impress me at all. So, if there's good work going on there to get good absinthes out that is really nice to hear!

Thank you for that info!

Sounds alot like the situation in Switzerland. If they're making it legally like that, perhaps there's a chance that some of the bigger distributors might be able to make a deal to carry some ;)

Interesting stuff indeed Traveler.

I know that Ancora has come up a few times in discussion over the last few years, but now it's good to have someone around who can give us the inside information on it.

Welcome, Traveller, and sorry for the late welcome.

Where in Portugal are you, if you don't mind me asking?

I actually tried some absinthe in Portugal on my trip there earlier this year. It was at the Oriental Pavillion in Lisbon. They had a huge variety of alcohols and, on finding the anise section ordered the generically listed "absinthe." I was pretty screwed up by the time I got there and had the sense to at least ask to see the bottle. It read "Absinthe" on the front, the label being the kind with the silver highlighting of the absinthium leaves. On the back it read "product of Portugal." Any idea what variety it was? It wasn't very good quality, but I'm curious. Thanks for the help on that.

Hello, it was probably Neto Costa, the absinthe "best-seller" in Portugal, it is more a pastis than a real absinthe for the reasons I've explained in a previous post, but it does contain an ammount of arthemisia absinthium, although it's not distilled. Oh, and I'm in Lisbon and I know that bar, it's the Chinese Pavillion, it used to be a very old (400 years old) grocery store specialized in teas and it's now a bar whose walls are filled with antique collections, toys, helmets, swords, millitary uniforms, it's a great place. Cheers

Hello, Traveller, and welcome from a fellow European who has just joined the WS too. Great introductory posts - and I too wish my father had introduced me to absinthe at 14... :worshippy:

It is looking more likely that I will be traveling to Portugal this coming June (20-24th) for a meeting at the Hotel Villa Rica in Lisbon. I'd appreciate any recommendations on available Portuguese absinthe. If travel is necessary (you mention artisanal absinthe available in rural communities/fairs in the Northern parts of Portugal, I might give in-country travel a try (with sufficient guidance, of course). I may make a side trip to Madrid (is driving there, rather than flying, worth considering?). Perhaps this would afford additional opportunities to see more of the country. I know no Portuguese. I'm not sure if my colleague from Brazil will attend the same meeting, but if so, travel should be that much easier... How likely is it that my English-centric language skills will get me by in Portugal or should I expect difficulty? (For what it's worth, I had problems navigating Little Havana [Miami] several years ago because my Spanish is so wretched...)

If I cannot get "quality" Portuguese absinthe, are other alternatives (e.g. Spanish) available? I have so far refrained from purchasing from Fine Spirits Corner because of the exhorbitant shipping costs...