Sign in to follow this  
castelletti

Don't ban me for this...

I have become very fond of the taste of absinthe to the extent it's a tiny mental battle I have every night, will I have a glass? One leads to two almost every time.

So friends I dare ask, and I know this is borderline heresy but; is there a non-alchoholic version of absinthe? A tea possibly that has a similar flavor??

It's been so hot lately and I find that I want absinthe as it's amazingly refreshing and the finish is simply exquisite.

Help :cheers:

:g:

So drink absinthe?

I cant imagine anything being wrong with a daily absinthe or two.

:cheers:

Edited by AFO

Buy a box of good n plenty.

Boil the whole box cardboard included in fiji water

Circle the stove 3 times while shouting "hail green fairy".

Wait for it to cool and viola.......enjoy.

Edited by greytail

Chew Sen-Sen.

There was also that Italian absinthe gum that was marketed around these parts a number of years ago.

It didn't taste too bad, but not much like real absinthe, though.

My suggestion would be smaller glasses. I usually use Sherry glasses. The absinthe becomes more of an after dinner mint, than a drink. I do this specially with tasty and pricey offerings.

There are some absinthe candies running around out there, and referenced somwhere in here. Anise is quite polular in many things in the Mediterranian world and derivatives.

:thumbup:

I have become very fond of the taste of absinthe to the extent it's a tiny mental battle I have every night, will I have a glass? One leads to two almost every time.

So friends I dare ask, and I know this is borderline heresy but; is there a non-alchoholic version of absinthe? A tea possibly that has a similar flavor??

It's been so hot lately and I find that I want absinthe as it's amazingly refreshing and the finish is simply exquisite.

Help :cheers:

When I first started drinking absinthe I too was concerned about the fact that I was now having at least one drink a day, sometimes two (sometimes three...) because I'd never been one to drink every day. (Well, except during my college years, but who didn't?)

I found that if I put just a few drops of absinthe in a bottle of water, this satisfied the craving for the taste pretty well.

Now I just go with the flow and enjoy my 1-2 (sometimes 3) drinks of absinthe a day. My wallet hates me but my mind and my belly are very very pleased. :cheers:

I really do find the Sherry glasses help. It works out ot be about half a regular glass, enough to satisfy the desire for the taste.

Eventually you find your balance.

Tonight, a couple of beers at a birthday party and now, lots of water. Damn heat.

Last night, a glass of absinthe pre-meal and a Martini post-meal with lots of water. Did I mention the heat?

The night before that, lots of water.

:g: Hmmmm, maybe I am developing a drinking problem.

If you are really worried about your alcohol intake, pour smaller glasses, or just put a splash of absinthe in a tall glass of water.

Generally, after I've had a glass of absinthe, I refill the same glass with cool water. You get a lot of the aroma and taste of absinthe, with essentially no alcohol. It's basically like getting a free glass of absinthe.

What a startling coincidence.

And to add to this amazing synchronicity, I do the same! :shock:

Edited by Absomphe

Is your trouble that you pour a 2nd glass? Or is it '1 turns into 2, and 2 turns into 7'? If that ain't the problem, than you don't have an issue.

'Absinthe tea' sounds gross... and I love absinthe. Just drink absinthe, friend.

And stop worrying so damn much.

You know what I do when I worry too much? Drink absinthe.

I find anise and fennel tea has a similar but still very different flavor from absinthe. I would not recommend wormwood tea, as it has a very palatable flavor once it's been distilled, but one might try mugwort. It won't taste like absinthe, but it might taste similar enough to get your rocks off.

Don't ban you for this???? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnn - I've done copped to drinking Absente. And actually liking La Muse Verte. I'm still here.

As a general rule, I don't drink that often but this summer the BBQ has been flaring a couple nights a week and that always invites company and cocktails. I had been hitting the whiskey pretty good and then BOOM…along came absinthe. I can't get enough of the stuff.

Long story short, I'm taking a couple weeks off to detox because I'll be camping at the beach at end of the month and that is going to involve a fair amount of booze.

I think the benefit of reduced stress and pure enjoyment of absinthe outweighs the nightly glass :cheers:

Edited by castelletti

Sen-Sen always tasted like soap to me...

I have the same problem - I try to never drink during the day, and during a hot day like today I crave it - but drink water instead haha.