Sign in to follow this  
Garrett

Vinturi Aerator

I didn't see an existing post so I apologize if I just missed it, but I bought a Vinturi Spirits Aerator for when I drink bourbon since I found the wine Vinturi worked well at opening up wines. The spirits aerator product description only mentioned using it specifically for "scotch, cognac, port, tequila, whiskey, bourbon, vodka, gin, rum, brandy, and sake liqueurs", but I assumed why not try it on my absinthes as well.

I found when comparing head to head against an non-aerated glass it did make the flavor (and I think even the smell) much brighter and pronounced. It in a way just intensified the specific flavors a bit. I was just curious if anyone had tried aerating their absinthe and if so if they felt it made a difference too.

I remembered the topic of wine aerators coming up a few years ago, so I sussed it out. Here's the link.

In short, there were a lot of doubtful folks in that old thread, but my girlfriend and I have been using the Vinturi wine aerator (exclusively on reds) for about 3 years now, and I'd say that out of 100 or so different wines, all of them except 2 or 3 tasted smoother, fuller and generally more well-rounded with the aerator. Using a decanter for 15 minutes instead produced similar results to the aerator, but not exactly the same (plus, the aerator is faster and is one less glass accessory to have to clean).

We've never tried it on spirits, and I can't help but wonder if the "spirits version" of the Vinturi isn't just a marketing ploy to get you to buy two of the damn things (and at $35 or $40 a pop, that's significant), but then again, I can't deny that a lot of folks thought the whole idea of aerating wine this way was a gimmick.

Thanks for sharing, Garrett. I'll be curious to see if anyone else has tried it out.

Having different versions may not be a marketing gimmick (though it certainly might be). I've seen absinthe break plastic that low proof alcohol won't.

Well, I freely admit that I'm a skeptic. I'm in the booze bidness (and I see all the time the "smoke and mirrors" pitches). But consider this before you start to throw your hard-earned Benjamins at this one. In the following the bolded statements are from Vinturi's web site.

1. "Vinturi for White Wine has different internal dimensions and flow rates. The result is perfect aeration specifically for white wine."

You betcha'. All white wines are the same and so this device will do it for all of them.

Maybe... the original Vinturi is touted as being the cure-all for any red wine, regardless of type.

2. "Flavor enhancements confirmed with undiluted Scotch, Cognac, Port, Tequila, Whiskey, Bourbon, Vodka, Gin, Rum, Brandy, Sake, and Liqeurs. Includes integrated measuring jigger."

Confirmed by whom?. When? By what methods and with what controls?

"Scotch, Cognac, Port, Tequila, Whiskey, Bourbon, Vodka, Gin, Rum, Brandy, Sake, and Liqeurs."

That's a lot of different things (one of which is a wine, BTW). And Vodka? I sure hope they didn't paint themselves into a corner when they think of launching a "Brown Booze" vs "White Booze" aerator.

My message, if you don't get it yet, is if you don't have a Vinturi and want to try one, have at it. If you already have one (and I do) I'd say use the one you have for everything. Until the results from a really good blind comparison are released, I remain as skeptical about the differences in these devices as when I started typing this.

Very good observations, FPB. Perhaps if Garrett is willing to play the mad scientist, he can do a blind comparison sampling the same spirit/s run through a:

1) Vinturi Wine aerator

2) Vinture spirits aerator

3) Nothing at all

If you do Garrett, please report back!

I just so happen feel obligated to oblidge as a test subject :cheers: vinturitest.jpg

So I used the exact same proportions for all three drinks: 1oz of VC to 5oz of britta filtered water. The far left glass had the absinthe aerated with the spirits aerator, the middle glass no aeration, and the right the VC was aerated with the red wine aerator. Then I had my fiancé poor me a small glass of each in a regular glass so I could have a blind taste test.

My results....

Smell: head to head tough tell any difference.

Taste: this was tough and not as pronounced as I expected, but I felt the wine specific aerator yielded a more vibrant, cleaner taste compared to spirits aerator and followed by the non-aerated glass. Nothing necessarily ground breakingly different between the three, but enough to distinguish subtleties between the aerated glasses and then the non-aerated glass. All in all I feel the red wine aerator produced the brightest taste compared to the spirits aerator for what its worth. I agree with FPB here that there is little difference between aerators, but for whatever reason I did seem prefer aerated glasses slightly more over non-aerated....could just be me though with a ton of booze in me :twitchsmile:

Seconded! Thanks so much for reporting back on that, Garrett. I think my girl and I will have to try a Vinturi (Red) Wine aerated glass vs a non-aerated one and see what we think. (We don't have the Vinturi Spirits aerator, so our experiment won't be as definitive for yours.)

In our wine-only blind tests, we have each always been able to tell which glass of red wine has been aerated vs ones which haven't, so I suspect the same may hold true of the absinthe. If there is a noticeable difference, I may have to try an experiment where a dose of absinthe is decanted for about 15 or 20 minutes, ala a red wine decanter. That seems a bit silly to me as a type it, but hell, you never know.

What about running louched absinthe through an aerator? It would be cool to see which had more effect, louched vs neat.

I can imagine more air would be introduced to the louched absinthe as there is more liquid to aerate... But I am also thinking that higher abv's aerate better...

any thoughts?

:cheers: