Sign in to follow this  
Jack Griffin

Antique tippling stick

I found this last week, it's so cool. My best guess is 1940s, based on Prince "Bertie" who became King George the 6th. Queen Victoria had issues with his drinking, so he had a tippling stick made by his haberdasher. Many were made based on his design, including this one, in red oak and brass. There are pretty nice modern repros of this on the market, often with a compass hidden inside the knob, so you can find your way home after getting soused. This one opens to reveal a space perfect for sugar. Of course it wouldn't be a tippling stick without the hidden glass vial which holds 1 ounce (it's filled with Butterfly). There's even a spring in the bottom to push the vial up once the knob is unscrewed! Cheers!

sticka.jpg

stickb.jpg

stickc.jpg

That is pretty f-ing radical. That could hold a dose of absinthe, whisky, brandy, or even some proper vermouth which is usually so absent from bars around town.

I need someone to make me one. I've got enough health problems to justify using a cane at my age.

...great walking cane..........!!!!

....the only problem if you are going to carry a cane, you have to dress the part.....

......which isn't a bad thing..........