Sign in to follow this  
AFO

Importance of water source

I have been playing with the type of water I use for my absinthe, and I have been noticing how it affects the drink.

I have found that mineral/spring water, makes a drink that is much fuller, and more refreshing than a glass made with demineralized water (I refill a 5g jug, for $3, which is purified by reverse osmosis, among other things.)

It is subtle, but it adds more depth to the drink.

Any one share similar observations?

:cheers:

Edited by AFO

i played around a bit as well using evian, fiji water, spring water, and tap water. i have found fiji water to add body to the absinthe while evian seemed to be the most neutral, but not sure if it was a placebo effect because the water that comes out of my fridge is pretty good too …Luscious Oily Lesbians!

Its funny, I made the above observations with fiji. It is my fav water for absinthe so far.

watch the l.o.l.s... ;)

:cheers:

If I only use it for absinthe, it lasts a while so the expense isnt too bad.

Plus they had a 2 for $4 (the 1 liter bottles) sale so I bought a few.

I like using Fiji as well. You two are not alone in your water observations. I once used tap water. Gave the absinthe a round chlorine flavor with a hint of floride. Not the best glass I had.

Edited by greytail

From the most recent version of the How To Taste section of the Absinthe Review Guide.

The Water

Use clear, pure spring-water or purified tap-water if available. Distilled or reverse osmosis purified water lacks minerals and can lend an increased dry astringency to the absinthe.

Use water that’s absolutely as cold as you can possibly make it. One way to do this is to fill your fountain, carafe or pitcher completely with ice. Then slowly add water while stirring vigorously. Always give the water a good stir right before pouring or dripping.

If memory serves me correctly, the bolded statement was Mr. Bernhard's contribution.

I remember an older thread on this. As a matter of fact, I think it lead Scott to start testing his tap. Then his fountains.

For lead and other little bits of ugliness. The same stuff we've been drinking for years without a care in the world. ;)

I use water from the fridge that has a filter. Hmmm, it's been a couple years, maybe it needs changing. <shrug>

Not quite. I WAS testing my water's PH, but only because I was having acid reflux problems. The antique fountain was tested for lead, and it was clearly unsafe to use.

Having an in/under sink water filtration system does provide the tastiest water however, and I'm sure it doesn't hurt when making absinthe, coffee, tea or chicken soup.

AFO, be careful with bottled water; it's dangerous to drink, as virtually all have fairly high acid levels, between 4-5 PH. I don't know why this is the case, but many people are drinking it thinking it is healthy, when it's not.

That is very interesting about bottled water. The water where I live smells and tastes so strong of chlorine that I don't know a filter would change much. Sitting in the fridge, much of the chlorine will evaporate off, but there is enough left that is off putting to my tastes.

Comparison chart for PH levels in bottled water

Edited by greytail

That's a great resource Greytail. 7 is neutral, and anything above 8.5 becomes a bit too alkaline, which can also burn! I'm glad there are at least a few out there in a safe PH range. The tests I researched were a few years ago...perhaps they are making an effort to turn this around.

Use water you enjoy drinking. Good absinthe has quality ingredient, and like Joe said, water is 80% of the drink.

I use the water we drink, that I store in an old VC bottle. I rarely use slow watering devices, this leads me to lose interest in weak louching absinthes.

A good natural spring like Lourdes is my favorite. I bet the secret fountain near Couvet is great too. If the bottled water sucks, used distilled as an alternative. Our drinking water is OK, but time and refrigeration render it good enough.

The best bottled water is Kentwood. IMHO.

I rarely use slow watering devices, this leads me to lose interest in weak louching absinthes.

I use a Brita water filter/pitcher and keep it in the fridge.

There is also a filter built in on the fridge. It's always ready for the amount of people that are at my house drinking absinthe, it's adequate.

No, I'm not anal about my water. It just happened this way. I drink what tastes good to me BUT there was a comment on the link about medications. Some of the meds I require(at this time) will give almost everything an "off" taste. When jello or ice cream tastes salty, that dawg won't hunt and I won't drink booze.

You folks tear it up and have fun! It's your booze and it's just booze. ;)

A friend of mine has a nice cabin in northern Vt on top of a mountain,fifteen mins.from Canada.Every year on the last week of July five or six of us ride our harleys up there for a few days.He has a natural ice cold spring on his property,and it's the best water I've ever had.Last couple years I brought Duplais with us.Sitting under the stars with that combo of water,absinthe,good friends, and a good Cuban cigar (between glasses)I've never had it better.

Yup, I agree. You were livin' large. Seriously!

I like it when we get a small group together and ride our HD's to a nice place. The best we can do around here may be a state park but there are things there that may surprise you. Like a natural spring with really cold water just running ever so nicely. Cool and clean as far as we know. Tastes great! Makes the ride that much nicer. Fill our water bottles for the hot ride home. ;)

To good rides and good friends, :cheers:

DAMN! I wish I had been an absinthe drinker last year when we went to Antarctica. Every day the crew would collect "bergy bits," hunks of floating ice pieces that had broken off bigger bergs. They are formed from the glaciers and are incredibly pure. The bartenders would use this "penguin ice" (after rinsing off the salt water) for our drinks that evening. Oh if ONLY I could have tried that meltwater with some Ridge or Duplais...

Yup, I agree. You were livin' large. Seriously!

To good rides and good friends, :cheers:

It won't be long now,we're rounding everyone up & making plans.It's either gonna be ridge or pacfique this year.

I put a filter on my tap as the tapwater here has about as much chlorine in it as the public pool. It does the trick. I've used Brita filters as well and they seem to do a good job as well.

There was a recent incident involving norwegian sparkling water that had a strange taste at first but as the water flattened out, it was better.

I had some unpleasant gin one time and had the bright idea of running it through my Brita filter.

The thing made a world of difference in the gin. It took awhile to get the gin taste out of my drinking water though. :laugh:

any thoughts about water that has been treated with a softener system would do when mix with absinthe? is this why i'm having a hard time getting my drink real cold? my friends have complain that when i serve absinthe it is not cold enough. i use the frigerator filter system and mix the water with ice from the frigerator. i'm on well water and it is VERY hard so i had a softener system installed. thanks

a hard time getting my drink real cold? my friends have complain that when i serve absinthe it is not cold enough.

Something I think worth mentioning is what you expect for "Cold"

Americans have come to think of a cold beverage to mean ICE cold.

For French tastes, they seem to have wanted a 'chilled' beverage, not an 'ice cold' one. It probably came from what the French considered the ideal temperature for a chilled wine.

Way back in the pre-ban era, Americans also seemed to favor methods that brought the temperature lower than the European tastes, such as the "Absinthe American Style"

described HERE or the absinthe frappe, here. Both are using fine or crushed ice.

So, the outcome or goal of the traditional French service, is to get a chilled, but not ice cold beverage.

Like it colder? not a problem. I usually will make it the usual way, and drop in one or two ice cubes, after a few minutes to freshen it up. But I try to enjoy absinthe at the 'chilled' level, and only add ice if the glass sits awhile and gets to warm.

Just don't pour absinthe directly onto ice. Best to add ice after the louche, if you want it colder.

Many may like it colder, and many may use water at room temperature not chilled at all.

As to the question of 'hard' water affecting the drink temperature, I don't think that is very significant, maybe a degree or fraction.

It is your taste, so experiment, and have fun trying different ways. :cheers:

Edited by TheLoucheyMonster!

What Louchey said.

i'm on well water and it is VERY hard
I also have a very deep well and it is very hard, indeed (Insert joke) but it makes a great glass (and bottle) of absinthe.

Perhaps your friends would enjoy an Absinthe Frappé? Check this one out. It's great on a hot afternoon.

I am fond of:

1 oz absinthe

2 oz water

1 sugar cube

lots of ice

toss it into a blender, hit high and pour yourself an absinthe slushie. That should be plenty cold. :cheers:

I have poured a measure of absinthe into a glass and added some water then added ice to make the volume up to the full line.....if you have a favorite glass you use. let it set a bit or start sipping. It will stay cooler than a slow drip or a small stream.

My preference isn't ice cold so I'll stop there. :cheers:

No, I just can't stop, sorry.

I've also poured a measure/dose of absinthe in a glass and dropped in an ice cube. Talk about a slow louche.

It works but it takes time and you really get a nice show (louche action).

The games people play. ;)

I've also poured a measure/dose of absinthe in a glass and dropped in an ice cube. Talk about a slow louche.

It works but it takes time and you really get a nice show (louche action).

That is awesome.

I drink tap water and have never bothered with bottled water, so it's tap for my absinthe. I think the expensive waters taste about the same as non expensive brands, the blind taste tests I've read about put Fiji and Evian in the middle even when people go into the tasting claiming them as their favorites, so I don't see any reason to pay more. Tap water is all about location though, if I lived in Arizona where the tap water comes out tepid and hightly chlorinated, then it'd be a different story. The water here is from an aquifer and tastes as good as most bottled waters, so I'll save my money for booze.

Edited by akumushi

What Louchey said.
i'm on well water and it is VERY hard
I also have a very deep well and it is very hard, indeed (Insert joke) but it makes a great glass (and bottle) of absinthe.

Perhaps your friends would enjoy an Absinthe Frappé? Check this one out. It's great on a hot afternoon.

I am fond of:

1 oz absinthe

2 oz water

1 sugar cube

lots of ice

toss it into a blender, hit high and pour yourself an absinthe slushie. That should be plenty cold. :cheers:

WOW, I just tried this slushie :twitchsmile: . A bit strong but good. I'm going camping in August and my friend has a total solar set-up so I'm bring my blender. wuhu. This will be one of the drinks we will be trying. thanks. Will be looking at other recipes to try that are easy on first timers. :cheers: