Sign in to follow this  
optional

Not sure if I should taste this or not

I'm a newbie and have a total newbie question. But first of all let me say I've never encountered any musty smell or anything.

It was said that one should let a new bottle sit and it'll mellow out a bit, or maybe a lot. How does one tell if they have a newly bottled absinthe that needs to mellow as compared to one that maybe has been sitting on some shelf for some time? Is there some smell or taste to look for?

Thanks!

A really young absinthe if naturally colored will still be vibrant and then fade to a browner/yellow Green or peridot as it ages. This sometimes is not true as the distiller may have not colored it to have that vibrant color though. That said, its really a matter of tastes.

Myself, I just drink the stuff. It ages for as long as my will to refrain from drinking it lasts. In some cases, that isn't very long.

Edited by greytail

A newly fresh absinthe may seem a bit harsh or astringent. Those things will smooth with a bit of time as will the color. I'm not talking years but just a few days. Sometimes, from the time you order to the time it arrives, changes have already taken place.

Using all natural herbs and botanicals will make each batch slightly different but not day and night different.

Every flower is different in some way than the flower next to it.

I used to buy two of each when I first started playing. That way I could put one back and run the others in rotation. Eventually, you'll find what you like that fits the mood you're in at that given time.

It's a delightful and wallet thinning game I play but it seems to work for me.

Patience is good to have. Sharing is also a good thing. These are merely my opinions.

They are worth exactly what you paid for them. :cheers:

...[VP] makes such a lovely marinade.

I dont know about VP, but absinthe in general is a fantastic marinade for strawberries. I just prep a glass as per usual, but instead of using plain water and a little sugar, I dilute the entire glass with simple syrup. Super sweet, (I actually did this the first time accidentally, and instead of sinking it, I put it in the fridge for a rainy day) and if you gently heat strawberries in it, you get a really nice topping for pancakes. After the strawberries are done, I then boil down the remaining fluid into a thick syrup. mmmmm, absinthe, strawberries and pancakes... mmmmmmm

homerdrool.gif

:cheers:

@ OP: I put new a bottle of Pacifique in a bag of checked luggage when I was flying across country and the whole suitcase smelled of absinthe when I picked it off the baggage carousel. I was thinking I'd come home to a broken bottle but when I opened the suitcase up the bottle was still sealed. I would say that their bottles simply aren't 100% sealed and they leak a little in transit. Nothing to get worked up over at the cost of a vendor relationship. You make think they "didn't mind" shipping you a new bottle, but trust me they did. Better to save your favors for actual emergencies, if they are as you say, a great vendor. Not good karma IMO.

As for the taste, let it sit for a month or so before you decide you don't like it. Experiment with a few different dilutions and amounts of sugar and you might still be able to find a sweet spot where you enjoy it. I used to hate MoL, until I found that I like it with a whole hell of a lot more water than I usually add. Also, Pacifique is an entirely different style of absinthe, the only Montpellier style absinthe currently produced, so while being very traditional, it won't taste like anything else you've tried. So try to judge it on its own merits rather, than, "well this doesn't taste like the Pontarliers I'm used to." It's not supposed to.

Wonder about the sealing capabilities of the composite cork comared with a natural t- cork.

After having two doses from my bottle, I put the stopper back on and used a champagne wire twist to secure it and keep it from wiggling out at all. We'll see when I open my luggage up.

I would say that their bottles simply aren't 100% sealed and they leak a little in transit.

I'm pretty sure baggage compartments on passenger aircraft aren't pressure-controlled like the passenger compartment is. Do the physics. Back in the day, I got more than one package from Spain that not only reeked of absinthe, it was downright soggy.

Exactly. That's why I wanted to add a bit of room in my bottle. I figured I would get more out of it than my baggage would.

Edited by greytail

I spent the past week or so blowing fresh air into the bottle with a fan then vigorously shaking it. Did it roughly once per day.

I'm having a glass now, and it tastes completely different. That initial mustiness has completely disappeared and is replaced with a more feminine and aromatic absinthe. It feels like MoL blended with Ridge Verte, and for that, I have no complaints. Maybe it was still stink or bottle shock or whatever, it's completely gone now. This is easily a top 10 absinthe for me now. However, the two bottles smell and taste differently. I think the younger bottle still needs more airing before it 'comes out' properly.

Brian, I'll still send you a sample if you want, but I don't feel that it's necessary anymore. I've also sent an email to the retailer offering to repay for the extra bottle they sent.

Ron's not going off ignore anytime soon. I don't want to deal with hostile people in real life nor on the internet. There's no need for it.

Edited by optional

In my most humble opinion, I believe you have your wires crossed. Again, just my humble opinion.

If you think Ron is hostile, you have lived an incredibly sheltered life.

Such a shame you'd put the one guy that has been there and done that on ignore.

You found the button, it's your call.

I know text is intimidating. I almost chipped a nail while typing this. MEDIC!!!

:laugh:

I am with heavy heart. I'll always remember this noob as the one that got away. It's my cross to bear. However, I will pick up the pieces and carry on. I must carry on. Stiff upper lip and all that.

I spent the past week or so blowing fresh air into the bottle with a fan then vigorously shaking it. Did it roughly once per day.

:blink:

I've also sent an email to the retailer offering to repay for the extra bottle they sent.
A kind gesture and notable. A point for future consideration: There have been a couple of times when issues with Ridge have popped up, most recently a filter failure. The gentleman contacted me via PM as an "FYI," not seeking replacement. Our discussion was pleasant and dare I say, discreet. It's weird but for a small producer, each bottle is like your kid and even though you know they aren't always perfect, it hurts when someone calls your kid "ugly" in public. We are very human.
Ron's not going off ignore anytime soon. I don't want to deal with hostile people in real life nor on the internet. There's no need for it.

Frequently, I remind people on the Forum how easy it is to misunderstand. Subtle nuances of communication are out the window and we are left to using clumsy emoticons to help our words convey feeling. ;) Such seems to be the case with you and Ron. Ron thought you were trying to take advantage of a situation to gain a free bottle of booze at someone's expense (a low-down, dirty-rotten move that scoundrels have tried before). Quickly the situation escalated. I suspect you are a kind and very worthy member. I know Ron to be an absolute gentleman and very dear friend. I would encourage Optional to give Ron another chance as I will continue to encourage everyone not to wear their feelings on their sleeve and to choose words (and emoticons) wisely. :cheers: