Sign in to follow this  
PerfesserCoffee

What brand(s) are closest to c. 1850's/1860's absinthe?

Expert advice would be appreciated by those who have studied the matter. I'm looking for a brand that would be (thought to be) closest in taste to the middle of the 19th century which is my area of historical interest.

I'm a civilian re-enactor and would love to introduce others to absinthe. I read some info on absinthe a few years back before it was reintroduced and have always wanted to try it. I am an absinthe "virgin." :blush:

I'm a newbie here but did do a search for similar topics so please forgive me if this has been answered recently and I missed it.

That question along with so many others can be found on the front page. The first page of the forum also has lots of very good information. There's also a neat place for you to make your own introduction thread so the members can give you a warm WS welcome.

Hello PrefesserCoffee, nice to meet you, I'm Pere Ubu.

Please read the FAQs, the information out front, Brians Profile which is a veritable fountain of information, and like the marnie mammal mentioned, start an introductory thread so we can give you a proper welcome.

Pacifique would seem to fit your bill for a mid 19th century absinthe. But don't limit your choices, and your poor forgotten palate to just one offering, when today there are so many wonderful and tasty choices.

Edited by Père Ubu

Was hoping to run across some Pacifique while in Upstate NY to buy. So far my search has led me to the conclusion that NY is almost as bad as FL in finding quality absinthe at an adult beverage store.

Edited by greytail

Was hoping to run across some Pacifique while in Upstate NY to buy. So far my search has led me to the conclusion that NY is almost as bad as FL in finding quality absinthe at an adult bevage store.

Welcome to my world. The only absinthes available in PA state liquor stores are Vieux Carre and Grand Absente, and that's if you to go the big stores. The small ones don't even carry those two. Apparently, a year ago for about 3 months, a big liquor store fairly far from where I live carried about 15 top shelf bottles (supposedly not crapsinthe), but no one bought them, so they stopped stocking it.

I still haven't had Pacifique. I'll probably get my hands on some next month or so.

Edited by optional

For the time being....online is our only hope. However, I hear VC ain't bad.

It's not. I just am not a huge fan of it. I'm also allergic to it - it gives me a nasty face rash. I think it's the genepi.

They seem to ask something thats plainly answered on the WS home page just fishing for a response. Then 'poof', gone with the wind while folks gullibley(is that even a word?) fall for it and try to answer their question.

Edited by Songcatcher

Hey Gulliver, Catskill Cellars has Pacifique, all the DPs, VC, la Clandestine, Ridge, and a bunch of others.

Depends on where upstate, but it might be worth the drive. It looks like a full day round-trip from Syracuse, and you can pop by nearby DP distillery in Walton. Well worth it, if you ask me....

absintheroad.jpg

Edited by Scott M.

Thanks. I had considered that. I'd probably pay the $15 shipping charge though. Cheaper than gas and I won't have access to a vehicle all the time while in NY.

an adult bevage store.

I believe the proper spelling of the key word there is 'beavage'. :tongue:

Edited by Absomphe

Funny........, i only get a rash when i'm out of absinthe.

So is this another "one poster" never to be seen or heard from again?

Or, considering they only posted a few hours ago, they have a real life offline and haven't even seen the responses yet. :harhar:

If you read the post more closely, you'll see that the inquiry is a little more specific than simply which absinthes are most like pre-ban in general:

closest in taste to the middle of the 19th century which is my area of historical interest.

a real life offline

Oh, c'mon, G, seriously?

That's just crazy mythical talk, like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and clowns. :rolleyes:

I stand behind my two nominations.

I'm more addicted to this forum than I am to absinthe.

Edited by greytail