zombie

Kübler kinda grew on me........

[snip] I think it's rare if you get a batch done correctly, assuming you even care for that recipe.[snip]

Fair enough. I only ever bought the one bottle, given that twenty bucks or so more puts buyers into a higher tier of noticeably better absinthe, and maybe I just got lucky with that bottle. My lady and I tried it with our bar set so low that a dwarf mouse couldn't limbo under it, but we were both quite surprised to find that it was decent stuff (better than Pere François blanche and about as good as La Valote, for instance).

Based on what I'm hearing in this thread, it's unlikely that I'll tempt fate by buying a second bottle. (Unless I find myself short twenty bucks...)

My lady and I tried it with our bar set so low

But wait. People are not want to set the bar low yet they will have absinth on display and for use to show what crap is being sold as absinthe? :blink:

Kinda makes me scratch my punkin head and say WHAT THE FUCK!!!

Make up your minds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it's been a day. :)

:cheers:

I sure understand that. Seems folks want the very best of everything first off. No working your way up, no room for improvement, just give me top of the line or nothing. Then whats left to work for? just to maintain a level of having A#1 and never being able to appreciate the OK.

I started my absinthe journey, like so many folks, with no bar to set. Well, now we have the experience to set one but have forgotten where we came from. Screw that.

My bar is in my closet. Ya want crap, I got it. Ya want good DOMESTIC absinthe I have some.

You want pre-ban......we can talk first. ;)

Let us not forget where we came from. If ye choose to, I'll choose something else. It's rediculous.

When I was very young, I shit my diaper. I outgrew it but never forgot it.

As I get older, the thought of doing it again is a real thing.

Live it up kids. The future is at hand. :)

Like giving a 16 yr. old kid a 68 camaro. He dont understand what hes got or what to do with it. sorry i didn't have a better analogy, or descriptor or ?

I started my absinthe journey, like so many folks, with no bar to set. Well, now we have the experience to set one but have forgotten where we came from. Screw that...

Have you been introduced to Kirk yet? Offline, having met you both in person, you two would probably really enjoy eachother.

No sir Grim, we have not met in person. We have had a few business dealings in the distant past and several emails, all extremely pleasant.

Kirk's online persona, to me, is far different than person to person. I have truly enjoyed our emails and business just as I have visiting with you in person. You make me laugh and have taught me a lot. Honestly.

So here I set with my hat in my hand, being an ass.

I reckon this is why I drink alone for the most part.

That and I only have one glass. ;)

Probably drank out of one of those flying circles once to eh? :biggrin:

You are right though. I too came to absinthe with nothing to compare it too. My expectations were greatly exceeded by a drink I enjoyed preparing and drinking.

My lady and I tried it with our bar set so low

But wait. People are not want to set the bar low yet they will have absinth on display and for use to show what crap is being sold as absinthe? :blink:

Kinda makes me scratch my punkin head and say WHAT THE FUCK!!!

Make up your minds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it's been a day. :)

Bill, while I don't think this was directly at me specifically, I can't be certain of that since you did quote my post, so I'll just clarify a couple of points. I don't shun anything considered "lower/mid-shelf" absinthe out of elitist snobbery; hell, I've taken a little bit of flak or "firm disagreement" in the past for saying Lucid (and now, Kübler) are pretty decent (ALL things considered). The reason why I may not buy Kübler again is because of several reports that its production is very inconsistent, and not because I didn't enjoy the bottle I had well enough.

Oh, and for the record, we don't keep fauxsinthe/absinth around here in our house, even for educational purposes, but on the two occasions we had to sample said product, we performed the modern Czech fire ritual and got a perverse sense of pleasure in doing so.

I can almost here the forum guns being cocked. :devil:

Edited by Jay

We have about 2oz of educational fauxsinthe and I'm still not sure how we'll get rid of it all. We also have a bottle with WELL above the thujone limits to show that it doesn't have any effects, and mostly just tastes bad. :dev-cheers:

I don't shun anything considered "lower/mid-shelf" absinthe out of elitist snobbery...

It comes down to $$ when I choose. The fact is, there are people out there (myself being one), that aren't going to waste the money they DO have on shit.

If I'm going throw down any money for anything, it's sure as hell going to be something I know I'm going to use.

It has not a damn thing to do with being "elitist". It has everything to do with not pissing away my resources on crap. (just my 2 cents)

Education is always a good thing. As long as you're not advocating the crapsinthe ....

Our bad bottles now reside on Pacific Distillery's "Shelf of Shame".

I have seen the "shelf of shame".

Jay, It's all good. I didn't mean to come off sounding like a huge prick. Although, after rereading the thing it sure looks like it.

If you look back, actually all over this forum I have posted that I have Kübler in the house as a beginners absinthe. That and Lucid are the only absinthes that I can get locally. I keep both on hand for beginners because of it's price and it can be had right down the street.

Yes, I may get my knickers in a twist if some folks come off sounding elitist. You really aren't one of those.

The Kübler bashing is what it is. The stuff is as described but in some worlds, it is all there is.

My world is a simple place. I drink a lot of water. sometimes there is absinte in my water. Sometimes it's good absinthe. Sometimes it is other absinthe. But, rarely if ever, is it absinth. ;)

So, if any of you beginners want to drop by for a drink, you have two choices. You prove to me that you know more about this wonderful drink than those two and we shall move up to the next shelf.

Better?

I hope so. :)

Cheers!

I have Lucid. It would be good if it wasn't for the other dozen bottles keeping it company. A few which are a bit cheaper.

But when it as all I could afford, and my Ridge suplier seemed confused about when he'd get more Ridge, the Lucid sure was mighty tasty. Beats the pipe rusting junk.

(Snip)

It has not a damn thing to do with being "elitist". It has everything to do with not pissing away my resources on crap. (just my 2 cents)

Agreed, especially in the case of Lucid, which costs nearly the same as noticeably better absinthe (though a case can still be made for Kübler being a good value). I was just trying to address a point of view that it seemed Bill may have thought I was espousing.

(Snip)

Jay, It's all good. I didn't mean to come off sounding like a huge prick. Although, after rereading the thing it sure looks like it. (Snip)

No worries there, Bill. I was simply confused by where you were directing those thoughts, and I'll admit I had to re-read them a couple of times to untangle them, but I understand what you're saying.

(snip)

My world is a simple place. I drink a lot of water. sometimes there is absinte in my water. Sometimes it's good absinthe. Sometimes it is other absinthe. But, rarely if ever, is it absinth. ;)

An excellent point, especially when, as you pointed out, sometimes folks have very limited choices on the shelves in their town.

So, if any of you beginners want to drop by for a drink, you have two choices. You prove to me that you know more about this wonderful drink than those two and we shall move up to the next shelf.

I'd love to run that gauntlet with you, Bill, especially as it's a worthy test to apply to any and all. If I ever find myself rolling on a road near you, I'll drop you a line. :cheers:

But when it as all I could afford, and my Ridge suplier seemed confused about when he'd get more Ridge, the Lucid sure was mighty tasty. Beats the pipe rusting junk.

Agreed. When I was gifted a bottle last year, I was happy to give it a good home. I'd do the same again, if anyone feels the need to send bottle presents my way.

Edited by Jay

If I ever find myself rolling on a road near you, I'll drop you a line.

And you will be welcome and immediatly move up a shelf or two. ;)

Given the Kübler is about as good as you can get in New Hampshire (state run liquor stores) I was thinking I was onto something descent here. I like the taste much more than the other choice in town, Grande Absente. I am enjoying this bottle - but interesting to read there is so much better stuff to be had in the states. I have a bottle of "Meadow of Love" arriving tomorrow - hoping this is closer to the true Absinthe taste (since apparently my first two bottles are well off the mark - being Grande Absente and Kübler).

I enjoy it myself. I agree its not the best absinthe, but its the only blanche that I can buy locally and the 1L bottle is a definite plus.

You should like it ok.

I'd give it an ok+.

I agree with Garrett and the Blues Picker.

I was agreeing with Bill, who was supporting Ray concerning MOL.