Ether Maiden

Absinthe Montmartre (Second Formulation)

austrianmontmar_label.jpg

No WS review available at this time.

Second formulation.

A nice light olive green absinthe, with a mild sweet nose upon opening. Louches well, to a semi-opaque opalescent finish reminiscent of the lighter forms of Chinese Jade. The flavour is much more complex than other absinthes I have tasted, definitely my favorite so far. The fennel is slightly less prominent than the anise, with the wormwood being a full flavour without the bitterness. There is a slight citrussy flavour to it, orage or perhaps grapefruit in origion. Very light in it's alcoholic bite, I was able to have a water:absithne dilution ratio of just about 1:1, this could possibly even be drunk neat if so desired.

Perhaps this discussion should be split into it's own thread?

I will say that these reviews are courtesy of some very generous decants from a fellow WS member. I would gladly do more reviews, if I can get more absinthes. I haven't read many reviews of any particular brand enough to be biased one way or the other. When writing these reviews I went and looked up what was on the WS site AFTER tasting them. I live on a very different coast than most WS folk I think, but am happy to continue doing reviews via correspondance.

As for the Montmartre review, your descriptions of a light citrus note, and no powerful hit of cinnamon leads me to assume this is from the second edition? Had you tried any of the first batch, or is this your first taste of the Montmartre?

I haven't had a try of this new batch yet and it sounds like everything I wanted it to be.

WBT, this was my first montmartre. I still have a generous amount left and will be re-sampling it in the near future (after all my heavy thinking activities are done for the week) and will make addendums to the reviews as are needed. I'll inquire to my source when this bottle is from.

I did find this incredibly enjoyable. I'm extremely sensitive to the taste of alcohol, and the kick or burn of alcohol. It tends to put me off the stuff pretty quickly. I'm usually a mixed-drink person, with soda or juice to cut that sensation. With this, as I stated in the review, I needed very little dilution for the alcohol to be near un-noticeable. Very pleasing experiance.

as I mentioned to Absomphe, the absinthe I have are decants I recieved from a fellow WS member, and thus I know not whether this is the older or newer version. I am trying to determine this, and will amend the review to contain such information when I have it.

I just cracked open my newly arrived bottle of Montmartre, second formulation. To all the old fans: don't worry, it's not a totally different beast.

It's just better balanced.

The Montmartre's cinnamon/spice flavors are just not to my taste. However, it is a well made absinthe and an improvement on the first batch. I'm looking forward to seeing what else Fischer comes out with.

I'm with TGO on this one. The spiciness is still not my cup of tea, but it's still a good absinthe. It's going really well with the apples and cheese I'm munching on.

Me thinks that if the Montmartre had another reduction in it's herbal/spice profile, say about 30%, it would be more to my liking. Maybe ageing will take care of some of that. Anyone out there got an older bottle of 1st version that has changed?

Question: Since Fischer is able to make quality absinthe at a reasonable price without little (recent) experience, why are there so few quality COs?

Um, I don't know...

Why not email Tuivel, and ask him?

I always love the first half glass. But by the end of a glass I'm starting to feel like I rinsed my mouth out with cinnamon listerine. My whole mouth is numb to anything but that cinnamon. I've been hoping that the second edition tones it down to a more even balance, but it's starting to sound like they've backed off a degree or two, but not really brought it into balance yet?

I agree exactly WildT. I definitely noticed the slight numbness. One to throw in the mix when drinking several, but doubt I'll be sitting down with the bottle for the evening. I only had one glass of the 1st edition Sunday, but I stretched it out longer than any of the others I had. Just doesn't go down as smooth as the others.....um, yeah I know :devil:

Sounds like I don't need to horde the bottles I have.  I like the Cinnamon/spice, it's a nice change of pace.

One of my favorite liqueurs is Becherovka, so it sounds like I'll probably enjoy the Montmartre as well. I can't wait until after Christmas, when I can finally starting ordering a few bottles.