Sign in to follow this  
redwun

Sautéed fennel with anchovies, garlic and absinthe

4 fennel bulbs, fronds reserved

4 TBS extra-vigin olive oil

4 garlic cloves,thinly sliced

6 anchovy filets,rinsed and dried (salt packed prefferably)

1/2 C absinthe

Bring 3 quarts water to boil.

Blanch fennel bulbs in the boiling water for 10-12 mins or until fork tender. Drain bulbs well & cut each in half.

In a 14-16" nonstick sauté pan,heat the olive oil over medium heat until smoking. Add the fennel pieces, cut side down,and sauté slowly until golden brown 8-10 mins. Add the garlic to the pan and turn the bulbs over. Mash the anchovies to a paste and add to the pan w/the absinthe. Swirl pan and cook until alcohol evaporates, about 1 minute. Remove fennel bulbs to a serving dish. Chop the reserved fennel fronds, add to the liquid remaining in the pan, and pour over the fennel. Serve warm.

Edited by redwun

I've done fennel, escarole, and leeks with absinthe but LOVE the idea of anchovies. I'm doing it tonight! Thanks!

I add anchovies to my spaghetti sauce (just a few melted in a hot pan with water while I'm sauteing my garlic) and it gives a rich, umami flavor to the sauce. No one knows it's anchovy, but they all love the sauce. It's a wonderful "cheat" ingredient.

I've been taught to never, ever bring a cooking oil to its smokepoint. Other than that I will have to give this a try. I stock fennel at my work as if it were a staple (because it should be).

Edited by Evan Camomile

I've heard some schools say "never heat oil to smoking" However certain situations call for oil heated just to the smoking point.When searing meats and vegs,also in Cajun cooking when blackening meats,fish & poultry .You don't let it smoke for any period of time.As soon as the smoke appears put the item to be cooked right in.Also in this Italian recipe like so many others that use anchovies as part of a sauce,you need the high temp for them to dissolve properly and impart their flavor into the sauce.Otherwise you have anchovy chunks,and their flavor is too strong,like on an anchovy pizza.

Edited by redwun

Half cup of absinthe? That seems like a lot!

I think you'll find the proportions are fine.1/2 Cup absinthe makes a sauce for 4 fennel bulbs cut in half.That's 1 Tbs absinthe per piece.Fennel bulbs are pretty big suckers.And the alchohol is burned off.

I've been taught to never, ever bring a cooking oil to its smokepoint.

Maybe I should have tempered that advice with "when you're cooking Amber eggs for breakfast". :nono:

Actually, I don't think that advice was from me.

And unless you're flaming the alcohol, a decent amount of it still remains, even after a lengthy cooking. 1 minute is practically no time at all. :laugh:

well you can always flambe' if you have any doubts or concerns,but i've never noticed an alchoholic taste w/this.I've served it to guests many times who would never touch absinthe or an anchovy.Oh well,if you try it,I hope you like it.

Edited by redwun

Made it... it was delicious. I mixed the fennel with escarole. I think next time I'll add mushrooms and a touch of lemon. Half cup was definitely not too much.

I've been taught to never, ever bring a cooking oil to its smokepoint.

Maybe I should have tempered that advice with "when you're cooking eggs for breakfast".

Nothing will smell up your house quite like eggs cooked too fast and too hot. But when pan searing a nice hunk of meat I get my olive oil about oh say, the temperature of the surface of the sun. Coat the meat with a good layer of crushed sea salt to give it a good crust. 3 to 4 minutes per side in the pan from hell, depending on thickness. Im of a mind if it needs steak sauce, you're not doing it right. Now put what Redwun made on a plate next to it with a good glass of absinthe and man oh man. Good eating for sure.

Im of a mind if it needs steak sauce, you're not doing it right.

BINGO!

I'm not sure there is any <shudder> s t e a k sauce in our house. It'll be done right or the dawg will have it. We still like the dawg but he's less finicky. ;)

Sorry about the derailment.

The Cooked fennel, anchovies, garlic and absinthe sound wonderful!

*smiley*