12 replies to this topic

#1 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

Today is National Cachaça Day! Drink up to our Brazilian friends!

Also according to this article Cachaça will soon be recognized in the U.S. as the national spirit of Brazil. Hopefully this opens the door for better Cachaça on American shelves. We will see.

:cheers:

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#2 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

What I got at the airport is vile, but Junkaboy educated me that like with absinthe, there is great, good, and vile.

#3 odiedog52

odiedog52

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Same with Pisco!
www.MutineerMagazine.com

#4 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

Junkaboy shared some information and cachaca with us at GAAF. The man was very well received by all.
I really think he had a handle on the cachaca issues.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#5 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

Thrilled to hear it won't be (mislabeled) as rum any more. Also excited to get some better brands in. Leblon is a C-, at best, and basically the only non-D we yanks can get. (Sagatiba is available in about 8 States- I'd give that a B-. If you can get it, get it... and make a caip!)

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#6 abaxial

abaxial

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

Also excited to get some better brands in. Leblon is a C-, at best, and basically the only non-D we yanks can get. (Sagatiba is available in about 8 States- I'd give that a B-. If you can get it, get it... and make a caip!)

Isnt cachaça pretty widely available? I know my liquor store carries quite a few of them (Cabana, Sagatiba, Novo Fogo, etc), along with good selections of Agricoles.

#7 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

No, it is (unfortunately) not. Coastal is about the only spots you're apt to find more than 2 'offerings' in a store, and for 5-6 States I have looked in, Leblon was the 'best' choice.

Yes, you Cali punks have serious advantages over us Fly-Overs...

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#8 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

Larspeart, if you don't much care for the few brands listed so far in this thread, then which ones do you like the most?

I've only had the Novo Fogo, and the caipirinhas we made with it were very good.

#9 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:10 AM

That are easy-ish to get around here? Aroma Brazil is fabulous. They do several different barrelings- I am partial to their balsam-wood expression.

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#10 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

I meant without regard to ease of finding on the shelves. But it sounds like Aroma Brazil is a good place to start. Thanks for the tip.

#11 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

So demanding...

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#12 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

Easy now kitty.......it's all good. ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#13 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

good news about cachaça.... I believe that this is a "kind of IGP", where US will recognize cachaça as the ones only made in Brazil.....

- Marcelo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association