Sign in to follow this  
Evan Camomile

Cachaça

Junkaboy shared some information and cachaca with us at GAAF. The man was very well received by all.

I really think he had a handle on the cachaca issues.

Thrilled to hear it won't be (mislabeled) as rum any more. Also excited to get some better brands in. Leblon is a C-, at best, and basically the only non-D we yanks can get. (Sagatiba is available in about 8 States- I'd give that a B-. If you can get it, get it... and make a caip!)

Also excited to get some better brands in. Leblon is a C-, at best, and basically the only non-D we yanks can get. (Sagatiba is available in about 8 States- I'd give that a B-. If you can get it, get it... and make a caip!)

Isnt cachaça pretty widely available? I know my liquor store carries quite a few of them (Cabana, Sagatiba, Novo Fogo, etc), along with good selections of Agricoles.

No, it is (unfortunately) not. Coastal is about the only spots you're apt to find more than 2 'offerings' in a store, and for 5-6 States I have looked in, Leblon was the 'best' choice.

Yes, you Cali punks have serious advantages over us Fly-Overs...

Larspeart, if you don't much care for the few brands listed so far in this thread, then which ones do you like the most?

I've only had the Novo Fogo, and the caipirinhas we made with it were very good.

I meant without regard to ease of finding on the shelves. But it sounds like Aroma Brazil is a good place to start. Thanks for the tip.

good news about cachaça.... I believe that this is a "kind of IGP", where US will recognize cachaça as the ones only made in Brazil.....

- Marcelo