Sign in to follow this  
newtothegreenhour

Un Emile Sapin

In my experience, the Sapin was so similar to the regular UE68 that they were nearly indistinguishable. The pine flavor was really quite subtle. That was about two years ago, I don't know if it's changed with the new management at the Pernot distillery, as the UE has.

I haven't had the Sapin for ages, but whatever pine flavour there is, it is nothing like the resin taste of a greek retsina.

Like Hiram, I remember it as being pretty close to the regular one, but perhaps with a more pronounced flavour, as if the pine mostly enhances what other flavours there are.

Beautifully, perfectly put.

It's slight, subtile. However, since the old UE's were BORING as hell, it was the only one I found myself buying after a while, because the rest tasted like... nothing.

If you want piney (and I often do, but it's the Greek in me), get a bottle of good Retsina.

Like Hiram, I'd say the pine in the UE Sapin is so subtle that the label should include the disclaimer that any detection of pine requires a good imagination (at least compared to Retsina). I didn't mind it, but there are other absinthes I'd prefer to order before returning to the Sapin. Or maybe go for something bolder like Sarticious Gin...

i like the pine flavour alot, and had the new guys at the pernot distillery make a sample last week with 10 times the amount of pine distillate, after seeing this thread, just to see what would happen...pretty piney, will see how it settles...

the first time i had it was in eye-openers at LF03 when we ran out of la fee.

the bottle i had after that day i really enjoyed. very subtle, but tasty.

i should try some again, to see how i like it nowadays.