• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

"For Rent series" features New York-based Martinican artist Marc Latamie (b.1952)

http://www.mutualart...B78C3E4D27#Info

Some excerpts from link:

France introduced Martinique to absinthe, an alcohol the island continued to produce despite France's prohibition by 1915. As a result, Latamie grew up with absinthe regularly brewed in homes throughout Martinique, and recalls that as a child he would sniff the absinthe perfume kept in his grandmother's cabinet.

The installation will also feature a short film by Myrtha Richards-Marie-Joseph, who is 2012 made "L'Absinthe de Monsieur Gentil" (Mr. Gentil's Absinthe), which follows a man in Martinique as he distills absinthe in his home.

I would guess that if any local absinthe was made in Martinique, it would have started with a rum/ sugar cane base?

#2 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

I've tasted a vodka that was sugarcane based. Being vodka the difference was in the mouthfeel and in competition with the malted grain base and potato base (same distillery); I preferred the smoothness of the sugar over all the others.

A rum base could also be interesting.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#3 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

Sugarcane based 'vodka' is called firewater where I'm from, we called the grain spirits vodka. :)

A good aguardiente can sub for rum in mixed drinks calling for a light rum. Myself I prefer Venado aguardiente from Zacapa, over Botran Light in a cuba libre.

Highly rectified aguardiente should be a decent base for absinthe, but it would not be 'traditional' because sugarcane grows poorly in europe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association