Simple syrup vs. sugar

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 abaxial

abaxial

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

Quick question (and apologies if this has been discussed before): Ive been considering using simple syrup instead of sugar when drinking absinthe, because Ive found the sugar doesn't dissolve smoothly, leaving an overly sweet drink when one gets to the bottom of the glass.

Has anyone used simple syrup instead of sugar?

#2 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

There have been quite a few discussions about the various types of sweetener which folks have tried. I would encourage you to use the Search box at the top right of the page for more info, but here are a few threads to get you started:

Sugar, Does it matter?
ABSINTHE SUGAR OR REGULAR SUGAR?, Is there a difference?
Simple syrup, & Simple question

#3 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

I use both:
simple syrup when drinking alone
sugar cubes when impressing friends with the 'ritual'

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#4 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,265 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

I do what Derrick does.

BTW, it's okay to stir the sugar into the drink, just like you would with iced tea.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#5 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

I just avoid absinthes I need to sugar. Syrop would make regulating the amount of sweetness added easier. The cubes I use are too big, and the result overpowers the absinthe.

#6 abaxial

abaxial

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

BTW, it's okay to stir the sugar into the drink, just like you would with iced tea.

I do stir, but no matter what much of the sugar refuses to dissolve. Also, if I'm using a reservoir glass, sometimes stirring can be difficult, depending on the opening size.

I just thought it might be easier to pour in some simple syrup. I'm just experimenting, and playing, and having fun

#7 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

GreenImp mentioned in one of the other threads that St. Louis Sucre cubes dissolve better than loose sugar. I've never had those, but I've had good luck with the wrapped cubes dissolving fairly well; perhaps the water dripping over them helps facilitate that.

Edited by Jay, 04 June 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#8 abaxial

abaxial

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

The sugar cubes I use (just standard supermarket variety, about 1 tsp worth of sugar per cube), melt well on the spoon when I'm adding water. It's just when I finish drinking my glass, I see a fair amount of undissolved sugar sitting in the reservoir.

So I'll play with simple syrup and see how it works.

Edited by abaxial, 04 June 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#9 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Marc and Andrew (absinthes.com) were pimping one from the Combier Distillery where the Jades are distilled.

#10 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

Dominos Dots are what I use. They're smaller than a standard sugar cube so they don't overpower the drink and they melt just fine. There's a little sugar sludge at the bottom of each glass, but not too much.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#11 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

Pierreverte posted a link a couple years ago to kosher dominos sugar tablets that are pretty close to the size and shape from the pre-ban era.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#12 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

because Ive found the sugar doesn't dissolve smoothly, leaving an overly sweet drink when one gets to the bottom of the glass.

Sugar is less soluble in ethanol than it is in water. In water, it's more soluble as the temperature of the water increases. When you start a drip of water over sugar into a dose of pure absinthe, and the temperature of the water is rising, even if ever so slightly ... sugar in the bottom of the glass. That's why absinthe spoons tend to have pointy tips.
http://www.blurtit.com/q299802.html

Edited by Artemis, 04 June 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#13 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

No one tried the direct route?

http://www.dominosug...s-sugar-tablets

Some years back I bought enough Saint Louis Sucre sugar tablets to last several lifetimes, I contacted the company direct, and was directed to:

http://www.foodmatch.com/Default.aspx

I had seen them locally at my local yuppie-snob, nose in the air, upscale super market, but I don't know if they are still there, not that I really need any more sugar tablets.

YMMV
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#14 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

I remember these from a TXLF years ago:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000I346XQ

I liked them so much, they followed me home.

#15 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

I toss a sugar cube in my oatmeal in the morning, been a longtime since I did the sugar routine with absinthe......maybe someday again, if the mood strikes.

I'll use simple syrup in a cocktail if it calls for it.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#16 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,265 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

I make my own local, yuppie-snob, nose in the air, upscale sugar tablets for when the occasion arises. They're a bit larger than the Domino tablets and they dissolve really well since they're made of very fine sugar. I've found that the Domino tablets are a different consistency from the dots or cubes and don't melt as easily as those do. Left coasters can pick up C&H brand cubes, which melt well.

Someone brought the La Perruche to a WS event years ago and I still have them. They seem to melt at a glacial pace. You gotta love the name, though.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association