#1 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

An issue that popped up on another thread:

Puppets or shills should not be tolerated by any forum, particularly since they lead to the kind of drama and thread-derailing we've seen here. I would urge our admin staff to pursue those, via ISP logins or other evidence, and remove the posting privileges of the puppet as well as the one pulling the strings.

I am the Admin that approves all new members and I specifically check for spammers and puppets. Occasionally, one or the other gets through but not for long. We have caught minors (no surprise), pedophiles (I let them in :blush: G~ caught him and tossed him) and more than a couple of puppets. The member in question's ISP indicated he was where he said he was from, a quick background check indicated he was who he said he was, a Board member had met him a few years ago and I had significant PM communication him. I don't like someone being accused in public (Puppets have usually been dealt with very quietly) and public forum trials ultimately are embarrassing for everyone. We have a distinct shortage of attorneys but a wealth of opinions.

If anyone has a personal issue with anyone, I suggest you take it up with the member like adults should. If anyone has any evidence of any Puppet, I strongly encourage you to being it to me. I will be happy to check it out and respond accordingly. I would beg anyone not to make accusations without carefully considering the possible ramifications.

#2 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for this, Joe (well, for everything but the PETA-phile, because, animals - who needs 'em?). My comment was certainly inspired by the recent chatter regarding the member in question, as you put it, but was intended as a general statement. In truth, I was a little frustrated at how train-wrecked the BC thread had become, and included that comment there when I probably should have thrown it up in the "What pissed you off today" thread or somewhere similar. [Also, I edited the thread to remove any accusatory elements, as those were not intended - I quoted one member's statement without realizing his full reference at the time.]

In any case, I appreciate all the due diligence that the admin staff does to try to maintain a civil atmosphere. I would have said "civilized," but you fools somehow let me in through the door. :pirate:

#3 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Your concern is merited. I probably would have used the term troll vs. puppet, but it's certainly understandable. As I mentioned to Algy (algae) when I gave him his warning, not only does he make himself look bad, he's making me, the only person who's met him apparently, look bad as well.

I mean, I've got a reputation to uphold, ya know? People might disagree on what that reputation is, but that's neither here nor there. :laugh:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#4 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for that, Jay. I was also feeling put-out over the BC thread derailment which prompted me to adjust a couple of my own posts and start this one where it belonged.

#5 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Lions and tigers and puppets and trolls. Hopefully here there be no monsters. If only we could all meet in person for a few drinks, I'm sure 99% of the drama and misunderstandings could be worked out. Oh wait - there's GAAF! :cheers:

#6 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

For perspective, let's try to imagine where a similar Marteau thread would have gone over at FV. This place is still an old auntie's tea room by comparison, BC fracas notwithstanding.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#7 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Regretfully sometimes things can snowball quickly out of control. When a post is offensive, sometimes is best to ignore it, ignore the poster, or at least count to 10 before hitting the 'Add Reply' button. And this kettle is very aware of his own hot headedness.

#8 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,666 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

If only we could all meet in person

Bite thy tongue, provocateur! :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#9 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

Sigmund Freud himself could not undo the mental damage of meeting some of the folks here. :)

#10 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,666 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

Onacuz he was so mentally damaged.

Okay, maybe that's not the only reason.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#11 eskay

eskay

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

Keep calm and LOUCHE on! :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association