Sign in to follow this  
opivy

sediment in bottle

so today after having a glass of mansinthe, I noticed sediment in the bottle... Never noticed it inside of the glass, as it settles at the bottom.

But after pouring it out I was in the sunlight and noticed it floating around in the bottle. Checked my bottle of Lucid and same thing.

Curious as to how this happens. I have moved the bottles from house to house a few times in a bag with them on their sides - could it be cork? I noticed it's not in my Kübler which cork seems some sort of plastic.

Anyways, not too worried about where it came from - but was wondering if you guys have a method to get it out. I'm not down to it in either so it's not a problem yet - but I would like to enjoy the bottle to the last glass and when it comes down to the low area I know that it will be poured out.

No need for concern, it's perfectly normal for a naturally colored verte to form sediment at the bottom of the bottle. That sediment comes from the coloring herbs and that's why the blanches don't share this characteristic.

I'd recommend just drinking it. It won't taste that much different (if you notice a difference at all). I don't usually bother trying to get it out, but if you want to you could put the last bit of absinthe through a coffee filter. There's definitely no need to toss the last glass or two.

ah didn't realize there was a relation between style.

Flavor is a concern, but can you feel these sediments? or do they just kind of dissolve in the mouth. Thought it would feel like saw dust which doesn't sound too pleasant.

Sea Monkeys!!

I love good Sea Monkeys in my absinthe, they are like flavor fairies. My go to brand has magical Sea Monkeys at the bottom of each bottle, and they reassure me that the booze will be awesome!

:)

My tip when I notice sediment/sea monkeys:

Before pouring a drink, keep it corked and agitate the little darlins or your last glass will be thick with them.

Pour your drink(s), re-cork then repeat.

Everybody gets to share.

It's just natural stuff falling out of suspension and will not hurt you. Enjoy!

:cheers:

No need for concern, it's perfectly normal for a naturally colored verte to form sediment at the bottom of the bottle. That sediment comes from the coloring herbs and that's why the blanches don't share this characteristic.

I'd recommend just drinking it. It won't taste that much different (if you notice a difference at all). I don't usually bother trying to get it out, but if you want to you could put the last bit of absinthe through a coffee filter. There's definitely no need to toss the last glass or two.

My tip when I notice sediment/sea monkeys:

Before pouring a drink, keep it corked and agitate the little darlins or your last glass will be thick with them.

Pour your drink(s), re-cork then repeat.

Everybody gets to share.

It's just natural stuff falling out of suspension and will not hurt you. Enjoy!

Some of the best advice I've seen here in ages.

I have chosen to use a small mesh strainer to filter them out on the two or three occasions where there was any noticeable sediment, but the advice above seems perfectly reasonable to me. Enjoy your absinthe! :cheers:

Sea Monkeys tell me it is time to e-mail Julie at CC. Honestly, my goto has quite a bit at the bottom, and I never had any issue with it, if anything my positive reaction to the sea monkeys probably comes from the coincidence of monkeys being at the last of the booze in the bottle, when the booze has had time aged some.

My go-to has a lot of sediment as well. It doesn't affect flavor or mouthfeel in the least as far as my palate is concerned. The last glass can look a bit like a duckpond though, so I might dock half a point for appearance were I doing a formal review, but I would bet that you wouldn't notice it at all if you were tasting the glass blindfolded. A strainer would probably just break it up into smaller parts as it tends to be very delicate, and I'd be worried a coffee filter might impart some unwanted flavors, so I would just leave it be. You can always swirl the bottle around a bit when you'e shopping at the store, there tends to be variance within bottles of the same brand, you could pick out the one with the least detritus. If you only buy online, then I guess you're SOL.