• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hey guys, no absinthe in it, but I recall a discussion (that I could not locate) about del Toro's
dream to make a film out of At the Mountains of Madness. Many of us here were excited about it,
despite Cameron and Cruise being involved, potentially. You may know by now that it died, due to ratings
discussions and the cost of the project. F'n studios.

Anyway, it would have been a big let-down, as they really ruined it with a lot of gore and monsters.
We never SAW the horror in the story, it was implied, in that classic Lovecraft manner...touched upon in places. Sure, it would have had an amazing visual style, but the lurking, unknown creepiness was stepped on and replaced with raging shoggoths and blood flying.

I have a very interesting PDF, and am happy to share it with Lovecraft fans who had high hopes for the film. You will then understand my happiness that the film was never made.

PM me with your e-mail if you'd like a copy.

#2 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Perhaps coincidentally, I read an article a few days about about how del Toro said that Ridley Scott's Prometheus essentially killed the hope of making the Mountains of Madness film, because there would have been too much similarity. You can read about it here, although for anyone getting ready to see Ridley's film, be forewarned that there is might be one or two semi-spoilers in the article.

#3 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,304 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Oops. I meant to type "a pdf of the screenplay" sorry!

#4 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Would rather see The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, after which, in my opinion, Lovecraft could have put down his pen (or did he have a typewriter?), because he wasn't going to do any better than that.

I find At the Mountains of Madness tedious and plodding. Most of Lovecraft's work gives me the sense he was paid by the word (and maybe he was, when he managed to get paid at all).

#5 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,304 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

True, that is a great one Artemis. You're right about Mountains, but the slow, tedious pace works for me...
Despite it taking a long time to develop, it is told in an interesting voice, that I find works with the character's re-telling of events. Everything is so fast-paced these days, that for me, a bit of tediositudityness ain't so bad....

#6 Nemo

Nemo

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

oh, this sounds interesting, one PM coming up!

#7 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,304 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

send me your e-mail.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association