abaxial

Absinthe tasting kit: Help finding herbs et al.

So, I was thinking, being new to the world of absinthe and all, that it would be fun and interesting to create a tasting kit to use with some of the nicer absinthes available on the market. Most people can immediately pick up the tastes of anise and fennel, but some of the more subtle notes can be entirely missed by folks with an immature palate (like me). It would be useful to have a collection of herbs to smell alongside drinking this fine stuff to help one pick out the different flavors (they have similar "tasting kits" for wine).

Any recommendations on where one can (easily?) obtain a sample of some of the more esoteric herbs (like costmary, melissa, etc)? Hell, I don't even know where I'd find wormwood. Suggestions?

Some local health food stores have bulk herbs as well. We have a Vitamin Cottage here in Alb, and I like the green anise they have.

Yep. I wouldn't say it's a waste of time messing with the herbs, but access to a set of distillates as mentioned previously by Ian Hutton would be more fruitful.

Aha, I hadn't considered that the herbs would smell and taste differently. So a sample of the distillates may be the way to go. Thank you both for the tip.

As a side note, my local liquor store claims to be getting a shipment of Marteau in this Friday. Very excited to try it!

Very differently.

To demonstrate the point lucidly, try a drink of your favorite absinthe. Notice that lovely floral, slightly minty Grand Wormwood? Now, take the dried leaves of Grand Wormwood (about a teaspoon should be plenty) and place it between the your cheek and gum. A tiny sip of water may be necessary to release that herbally goodness...

:shock: :puke: :no2:

Yep. I wouldn't say it's a waste of time messing with the herbs, but access to a set of distillates as mentioned previously by Ian Hutton would be more fruitful.

We should have these sample botanicals available very soon, I'm hoping to start shipping next month.

I desperately want to have a tasting kit. This is the best one that I have found.

http://www.absinthes.com/product_info.php?products_id=880

If there are any better ones available that anyone knows about, please let me know.

Also, I have written a note to them, all about my dream tasting kits, in the comments section.

If anyone else would be interested in tasting kits, please read my comments and leave your own, and

maybe, one day we'll get one. (probably need to give it some time to get posted though)

Thanks

Johanna

I just posted a comment there too, Johanna. It'll take some time for reviewing to show though.

Since I'm quite lousy at distinguishing one flavor from another that kind of a tasting kit that you mentioned in your comment (@ absinthes.com) would be really helpful and appreciated. So let's hope there is one soon, somewhere. :)

I should have the 44$ kit by Tuesday at the latest ... was due today, but today is Sunday so I think that let's them off the hook.

I look forward to reading your comments. It's a German website, so off hour posting is delayed till the next day, if you are posting from the USA. I've memorized it, so I can "bother" the staff with all kinds of questions ... Midnight my time is 9am their time ...laughs

Jo

I love the Duplais series too ... mmmm

They get sneaky with the names .... I have learned:

Different types of Wormwood, NOT totally different herbs ... Grand wormwood- part of the holy trinity,

Gentian a high mountain wormwood has a similar but different taste, so if you find yourself saying it tastes like, but not really, it might be this one and Pontica which can also be called Petite/small/ Roman wormwood - if you think the wormwood taste is really harsh and overwhelming, it's probably this one. They taste enough alike to be confusing if you don't recognize that they are just 3 different wormwood varieties ...

Green Anise is the same as Sweet Anise - it is a European herb, can taste of cinnamon and soft, gentle, rolling licorice that is not in the slightest candy tasting.

Star Anice is the same as Badine - it is an Asian herb - tastes like licorice candy

hope that helps

Edited by JoPatterson

[...]

I look forward to reading your comments. It's a German website, so off hour posting is delayed till the next day, if you are posting from the USA. [...]

I love the Duplais series too ... mmmm [...]

I'm a swede posting from Sweden. But I'll probably have the same "problem" with posting off hours - in the middle of the night here. ;)

Duplais series absinthes is IT I'll have to say... So far I've only tried Balance and Mansinthe though but very soon I'll have some Duplais Verte and H.R. Giger too (if I'm not going for some Vieux Pontarlier instead of Duplais Verte for the time being).

Edited by SethP

Totally awesome website with some really good information. I lucked out so big this weekend. I picked out a bottle with two different abv%'s ... to do a taste test on how the alcohol effects the taste ... everything else being identical, to purchase next month ... and what does absinthe.com do ... offers one of them at 25% off and with 2 free miniature spoons per order for the first 50 people ... ha, I had my order in 15 min after I received the news letter ... BWEG

The discount is in error though, as it's only 15%, so customer service needs to fix it before they bill me and make it 25%.

The wormwoods are so very different in taste in the raw plant.

Distillation makes a HUGE difference in Grand Wormwood.

Petite or Roman wormwood is used in coloring and it has a much lighter flavor raw.

Genepi is another that is a delightful when made into a liqueur.......I have a few bottles of it.

The grand wormwood will impress you with it's distilled flavor. Add a bit of sugar and have a delightful digestif.

Cheers!