Sign in to follow this  
opivy

Mephisto louche

so guys, my first real post here.

After being told that Mephisto is basically Montmartre in a different bottle I went out and bought a bottle today during break. Made a glass after work, and the louche was not like i've seen in any absinthes I've had so far.

It had amazing oil trails, but does not become opaque. It becomes slightly cloudy, but never a solid color. Every absinthe I've ever tried or seen pictures of becomes completely solid - This one is still clear after water is added.

Any explanations? Only was able to have a sip as something came up and had to leave it at my GF's house.

But as I said, it doesn't become opaque at all - anyone else ever seen something like this?

It's also the first absinthe I've bought that has a screw on cap.

I have a small sample and had a similar experience. The aroma reminded me of Montmarte, but the lack of a louche irked me a bit. I need to review it at some point.

haven't had any time with it at all really so can't comment on the flavor yet. But this color thing might irk me - as well(just noticed you said too).. Looks like water with the tiniest bit of blue food coloring added

This one is still clear after water is added.
screw on cap

Definitely doesn't sound cheap or inferior quality.

Kinda bummed about that. The taste is pretty good - but it's feel is too thin. Like water, with a strong flavor.

Find it strange that no one mentioned it in the Mephisto thread - thought my experience might be an anomaly as appearance definitely has it's say in overall opinion.

In my introduction thread Someone said that it's the Montmartre american release.

Not all absinthes louche the same. The bottle of Montmartre I got a few years didn't have a thick louche either. Your best bet is to louche it with ice cold water with a slow fountain drip if you want to maximize the thickiness.

It's not the same as the Montmartre I've had, which I liked. That was some time ago, though...my tasting experience was much more limited then. Mephisto just seems really bland to me.

Anyway

Revival! I'm

Back... Fell outta collecting liquor altogether

Was gifted a bottle of grand absente for Xmas (yeah I know....)

Although on Xmas we mixed it with egg nog (never had absente egg nog) wow what a treat... Wish egg nog was still around because that's the only use I can think of for it...

Any how,

Notice there's still no review page for this.

And reading some threads after a search makes me wonder

I don't see anyone else speaking negatively about this.

Was it just mine?

It really didn't seem like absinthe at all...

It was a light blue clear color even after ice water

And tastes of cinnamon only...

Sold it to some middle schoolers where I work (kidding I think I gave it to some friends that just like to get wasted)

So never got to have a second glass..

But I'm sure it wasn't going to change

Can anyone enlighten me about what this mephisto is?

I've recently had another bottle of this since I first tried it a few years ago, and it seems Fischer may have tweaked it since then...better louche than it had previously, and slightly less one-dimensional.

I'm still intrigued by the Montmartre-inspired label; that was one of the first absinthes I ever had, years ago, and I really liked it at the time.

I don't know if Mephisto is supposed to be a watered-down version of that, or just a re-used label design. I haven't had Monty in quite a while, but I remember it also having a cinnamon-y quality.

There were actually four different versions of Monty being produced at the same time, but only one went to a wide market. Which is a shame because some of the other versions weren't cinnamon heavy at all and were quite tasty for the time.

It certainly came off to me as a generally 'lesser' but still ultimately 'legit' absinthe. Which fit the price point as well. It's now my mixing absinthe - good for imparting some flavor, but not necessarily on it's own.