luchog

Favorite Liquors

Bastard.

What's that in the back next to the Old Overcoat?

Yes, yes I am. :devil:

The one by the Old Overcoat is a Grandson of the old guys up front, the funny thing is, I had a glass of the current Herbsaint the other night, and I can taste that unique thing that the old stuff has. (I just wish I could figure out what it is)

If they could re-balance the current formula toward the old stuff, it would be good on it's own.

I use the current stuff for Sazeracs.

Sazerac Co. still has access to the knowledge of how the old Herbsaint was made, it's just easier (and cheaper) to make it the current way.

yeah, i know that peculiar taste you're speaking of. I've never noticed it in anything but Herbsaint. I like it, even if the modern herbsaint isn't very good.

My favourite non-absinthe drink currently is Auchentoshan triple-distilled single malt, from a Lowland distillery and with a beautiful dark golden-brown colour. Best without water or ice, IMHO.

I'm partial to a wee dram of Dalwhinnie too...

I tried Old Potrero single malt rye whiskey.  Probably the best commerically-made American spirit I've tasted.

Pricey, but oh so yummy.

The Anchor Distillery also makes a gin, Junipero, that is fantastic.

The bottle says Bardstown, Kentucky.

No reference to a distillery,

of the three distilleries in Bardstown none of their websites list this as a product.

I just tried my first Laphroaig, the ten year, and it's really nice!

I've never tasted anything like it. I wasn't really expecting the camphor-ey taste and smell. I just had a taste-tonight I'll give 'er the full go.

Thanks for the suggestion!

and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

~Sandpedlar

Thanks!

Again, I never would have expected the taste-it's interesting. For my simple and unlearned taste buds very complex! The card that came with the bottle said to try it, like everything else, neat and then with water-I LOVED it neat. Absolutely incredible.

I'd love to visit the distillery some day. The site is very nice.

sandpedlar

Laphroaig is not a drink one develops a taste for. You either love it or hate it right off the bat. The 15 year does have iodine/salt/peat taste kicked down a notch but I can't recommend it as it's overpriced and lacks the delightful punch that makes Laphroaig special. You'll need to settle for other fine malt whiskys. Perhaps Ardbeg might be more to your liking.