luchog

Favorite Liquors

Just curious what other people's favorites are for other distilled beverages, aside from the absinthe, pastis, tsipouro types we're all here to talk about. Particularly interested in what are people's favorite Vodka, Rum, Whisky/Whiskey, Gin, Tequila, and Aquavit; since those are pretty much the common standbys that nearly everyone is familiar with (except, perhaps, for the Aquavit).

My own:

Vodka - Ultimat when I can afford it. A blend of the best Polish rye and potato vodkas. I've never found a better vodka, rye or potato. When I can't afford it, then Luksosowa Polish potato vodka is my "budget" choice. Inexpensive, but very smooth, with a slight sweetness. I use it for making my infused vodkas (lavender and watermelon so far).

Whisky - Only single malt Scotch here so far. So far my current favorites are Talisker 10yr, Laphroig 20yr, and Glendronach 15yr. Not really a fan of Irish, though I haven't tried the single malts (they're very difficult to find around here).

Rum - Appleton Estate Extra, a blend that includes some well-aged, is the best dark (Jamaican) rum I've found. They also do a 21yr aged rum, but I can't find that here. For lighter rum, Cruzan Estate 2yr is very nice, better than Bacardi by far. And for 151, Lemon Hart.

Gin - Magellan. It's a big gimmicky with the "blue" thing, but is one of the most complex, not overwhelmingly juniper; and doesn't have that turpentine/pine-sol flavour of the cheaper stuff. Better than Bombay Sapphire IMO, which is my standby when I can't get the Magellan.

Tequila - I don't really like tequila straight. I pretty much only use it for mixing, mostly Margaritas. For which I prefer Don Julio Anejo (i like the anejo tequila better than the blanco or resposado). I do like Mezcal straight, however.

Aquavit - I can't really say, I haven't really decided which I like best yet; though O.P. Andersson is up near the top of the list.

Liqueurs:

Chartreuse. Only the Green, and I haven't been able to try the VEP yet. I like the sweetness sometimes, and i use it in one of my favorite cocktails.

Hebridean Whisky Liqueur. A spiced, sweetened liqueur made with Scotch whisky. Unfortunately, I can't get it in the US, and shipping from the UK is expensive.

Sylk Cream Liqueur. A whisky cream liqueur like Bailey's or Brendan's Irish Cream, but using Scotch whisky instead of Irish whiskey; and is IMO richer and better-tasting.

Godiva Dark Chocolate Liqueur. Not much I need to say here. I usually mix it two parts to one part of the Sylk when i'm in the mood for something sticky-sweet and not fruity.

One of my favorite "gimmick" drinks is Blavod black vodka. Not the best vodka, but not bad, about on a par with Stoli; but the black colour is great in mixed drinks.

Chopin is a great potato vodka; a bit expensive

I love any limoncello. Galliano is good, although very sweet.

Crown Royal, Maker's Mark, or Gentleman Jack.

Ugh, too many others; I'd rather be drinking than writing about them.

I'll occasionally drink wine, or other fermented drinks (had some really nice meade in Austin), but I generally don't drink any liquor that doesn't louche.

Cocktail-wise, I like a good vodka martini. For girlie drinks, it has to be a lemon drop. (Okay, so it is a vodka martini with sugar and lemon.)

My wine-drug-of-choice has to be Châteauneuf-de-Pape. Any good one. I could have been very happy to have followed Peter Mayle around Provence on his search for the quintessential CDP.

I make my own black current liqueur in my kitchen cupboard. I have mature black current bushes that yield quite a few berries if I can get to them before the raccoons. (furry little bastards) I add the crushed berries to good vodka and wait...and wait...and wait. Eventually it turns from pink to almost black. Strain it, add some simple sugar syrup and you have what is lovingly referred to as "Witches Brew". Dee-lish.

Arak

Junipero Gin

J Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum

Genepy (If I could find it easily)

Old Herbsaint (It counts since it isn't absinthe)

Odd Liqueurs like Cassis etc.

The current Herbsaint with a decent Rye & Peychauds bitters in a Sazerac.

Several types of bitters, Fee Bros., Angostura, Peychauds etc all reside in my liquor cabinet, as well as the usual line up of average booze for a guest.

I never drink Vodka, (Nothing there) and seldom drink this stuff some call "Beer".

I only drink Absinthe and arak.

I've also been known to eat a beer or two, now and again.

Same here. About twice a year I'll have a glass of that 18 year old Macallan, which I love, but it's all Absinthe and Arak for me.

If I go to a bar, it's always Guiness.

>My wine-drug-of-choice has to be Châteauneuf-de-Pape. Any good one. I could have been very happy to have followed Peter Mayle around Provence on his search for the quintessential CDP.

after my own heart...just picked up a beaucastel '98 for xmas fun...though there are some other areas that prove to be as amusing, and cheaper...

i've shown ted the marvels of sweet loire wines like quarts de chaume (baumard), makes going to combier less onerous after a day of waxing and labeling...

i've got absinthes (from all époques and makers) coming at me from all directions, but a great wine is ultimately rare, and a thing of beauty.

distilled?

i can't keep a good french-island rhum 'agricole' around the house very long. it's too bad they are virtually unknown in the USA.

i've gone through my arak collection recently (el massaya, ksarak, kefraya, as-samir) and can't quite understand what the fuss is all about, they are good, but very simple and the ksarak is certainly burnt™.

No fuss, just 17% less tasty for 1/6 the price.

:cheers:

Certainly never a sub for good absinthe,

but it does work better than rum.

...you probably don't even want to get me started on this. :->
Please, favor us. Seriously.

I'll answer in the morning when I have more time, but right now I have to get back to young Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan. We're doing a triple feature.

Bolls Gin. Although I can't get it any more around here. It is an interesting gin made from grain that has not been highly purified.

Other than that I drink a LOT of beer. Occasional Whisky/Whiskey and Oleroso from a 20L cask.

Oleroso.jpg

Love Absinthe.. but when not having absinthe;

Cognac:

*J. Dupont Extra Imperial (soooo good)

Whiskey: (Islay most favoured)

*Auchentoshan 17yrs

*Cardhu 12yrs

*Glenfiddich 18yrs

*Glenlivet 20yrs

*Glenmorangie 13yrs

*Bruichladdich Enlightenment 18years (IF money allows)

Big sucker for Baileys, Drambuie, Hebridean, Meads (as long as they're sweet).. and many beers

and always open to new things

Gin - Hendrick's, Plymouth and Junipero

Martini's contain gin and vermouth,

anything else is a cocktail.

Rum - any small batch island rums, can't remember any names,

I'll look in the cabinet tonight and see what's in there.

Bourbon - Knob Creek is great

Otherwise it's beer & wine, 50-60% my product, the rest commercial.

I drink AND eat beer.

Laguvulin, Macallan, and occasionally Balvenie Portwood.

Also, mead and mead/beer hybrids, as longas they're not overly sweet.

Oh, and arak.

Scotch, Bourbon, Irish, Vodka mixers, Gin & tonic, margaritas, beer, wine, arak, port, sherry, brandy, congnac,

and many others.

i like to try different brands to keep it interesting.

Favorite Liquors:

Jim Beam, Woodford Reserve, Evan Williams Single Barrel

18 year Macallan

Johnny Walker Black

Warres Otima 10 year Tawny Port

HG Peat Whisky

HG Gin & Tonic

Favorite Liqueurs:

Chartreuse

Maraschino

Hot Damn! 100 in hot cocoa.

Also, I'm of the opinion that vodka—especially the notion of "premium vodka"—is a marketing scam.

I'm not a big specific name drinker when it comes to other alcohol. Although I do like Glenfiddich. When it comes to Whiskey I have yet to have something reasonable that isn't Irish or Scottish and I've never had anything blended that was worth the effort to get out a shot glass. Don't know where it falls on the Rum tree but Captain Morgans is quite good in any form.

Hiram, I agree about the vodka. If it's not specialty vodka or rotting under the bottom shelf vodka, then it's all marketing. The difference between vodka flavour and price blows the whole Arak vs Absinthe price thing out of the water. I would love to get some vodka snobs and do a couple blind taste tests. Especially with ice cold vodka. :)

Vodka is a great tool for understanding marketing.

In looking at the Vodka process it appears to me that they are selling diluted EverClear with a fancy label and marketing scheme.

No?

Exactly. The only thing that's going to make a difference is the quality of the water it's made and diluted with.

In looking at the Vodka process it appears to me that they are selling diluted EverClear with a fancy label and marketing scheme.

No?

Yes but when you dilute the ethanol with ancient glacier/spring water it provides a far smoother and elegant price.

If a gentleman such as yourself has the taste and discretion to appreciate authentic marmot piss, then you'll doubtless want to try our special ancient reserve marmot piss in our exclusive, deluxe, limited edition crystal marmot decanter.