Sign in to follow this  
TheLoucheyMonster!

La Fee's New Blanche

Well, Stefano's stuff is pretty close.

But if he had to charge $30 a bottle, his experimenting might have been limited to tiny batches like the original Mysterysinthe, and most of us would never have had the opportunity to experience his artistry.

The XS line is repackaged absinthe distilled by people who have become known for distilling good absinthe. I won't name anyone for the sake of not stepping on the toes of those I like, but one is from Couvet and the other Pontarlier.

In a sense it's not really La Fee but rather it's other people's work with fancy design (which is what La Fee does best anyways).

I thought that the distilleries producing the XS range were public knowledge by now? The problem that I have always had with the XS line is that anyone in the business knows how much absinthe costs to produce and what the normal operating margins are, so by and large the prices you pay online or in your local store is directly related to the cost of the product in the bottle. However XS is sold in the UK at a GBP 20 premium to Jade which is hard to figure even with the heavy investment in packaging.

I think the information is available, and I know it was all addressed in another thread...I think the topic was covered it its entirety in that thread and we didn't want to re-hash it here.

As one of our resident capitalists here, I wil say that there is nothing wrong with charging whatever the market will handle.

"a fool and their money..."

Well, in Paris at least you have a few bars where you can find quality products (I can name at least 3 or 4).

But we are the country of Distilleries de Provence (Absente) and Pernod-Ricard, both enterprises having a firm grip on the distribution market. You are doomed to drink crap if you are not lucky.

Luckily though, la fee is rare to see.

Yeah La Fee Verte It was my first Absinthe :paperbag3: .....I needless to say have become more refined in my taste and time is the great teacher! :thumbup: I wouldn't buy the x.s. or Blanche because there are plenty of decent and better absinthes out there. If only they took their production as seriously as marketing. I did buy a bottle of parissienne dirt cheap (spoon included) used for mixed drinks only at an airport. But for anything else and at a higher price :thumbdown: Not buying it.

Edited by Cajun Magic

I find this to be very interesting news. The way I see it, an outfit like La Fee doesn't make this kind of change unless they have to. So I take this as an unspoken admission that the former version (the emerald green "Sambuca Lite") has lost traction in the market, and they believe the new market is in more authentically profiled product. Of course they will never admit that, and they certainly got their money's worth from their copy writer, who once again managed to make them sound like some kind of market leader and innovator.

Just like Pernod's "Original Recipe", the proof will be in the pudding. Unlike La Fee, at least Pernod Ricard made some kind of admission of past sins. But, of course, the devil is always in the details. As much as I love seeing the top artisanal efforts, these are two I am very much looking forward to seeing since they may have the marketplace position of raising the lower limit of quality in broadly distributed absinthe. And that can't be a bad thing. Absent next?

:thumbup: Keeping the pressure on works. Whether George and Co. want to admit that or not. The category has changed so must the products.

I'm not one to forgive so easily though and like I said with Pernod going all natural, La Fee will always carry its history when my wallet is concerned. I'd rather support the distillers who made this change inevitable than someone who duped the public with fake dye for as long as possible.

If you take the tone of my post to be "forgiveness" you're reading me wrong. My primary point is that if the lower baseline of mass-distributed absinthe here in the US and, for that matter, elsewhere in the world is improved, it raises the percentage bet that many who try absinthe for the first time experience something that resembles absinthe. I think that is positive, past trespasses or not.

The only reason I am looking forward to seeing them is that I plan to give both a fair evaluation, based on the same standards and criteria as any other absinthe I've reviewed here. And honestly, I hope they perform at least to a standard that would indicate commercial acceptability. If that ends up being the case, at least they will have stopped doing damage to the category. If not, they will get what they deserve.

And where my wallet is concerned, I will explore every avenue to try to obtain review samples at no cost to myself since until I'm convinced that some past wrongs have been made right, I have no interest whatsoever in enriching the coffers of either of these labels.

I've never bought Pernod and I will never again buy any La Fee products. I am pleased that they seem to be taking a step in the right direction but others have strived for excellence and authenticity from the get-go. I agree that now they have to conform to a certain standard because of the market opening up. It really irks me that as FPB stated they have written it as they are game changers and FIRST TO _______. I have made up my mind and I know what I want. I will vote with my money.

As for FPB stating he will review the product at no personal expense. I have no problem with that at all, I encourage it in fact!

I enjoyed Evan's and FPB's feedback as usual and am thankful that both you gents are fellow members and are doing what needs to be done! There is something I have been wanting to say for a while and right now seems a good time, I admire your qualities! :cheers:

As La Fee's copy writer would say; "First to be admired in The Wormwood Society forum, topic 7447, post #51" Woo hoo! :cheerz:

:blowup:

Edited by Cajun Magic

. My primary point is that if the lower baseline of mass-distributed absinthe here in the US and, for that matter, elsewhere in the world is improved, it raises the percentage bet that many who try absinthe for the first time experience something that resembles absinthe.

So very true.

If you take the tone of my post to be "forgiveness" you're reading me wrong. My primary point is that if the lower baseline of mass-distributed absinthe here in the US and, for that matter, elsewhere in the world is improved, it raises the percentage bet that many who try absinthe for the first time experience something that resembles absinthe. I think that is positive, past trespasses or not.

Oh no, the forgiveness bit was directed wholly at myself and my general disposition. Sorry for any confusion. Your primary point I agree with 100%.

I will vote with my money.

I enjoyed Evan's and FPB's feedback as usual and am thankful that both you gents are fellow members and are doing what needs to be done! There is something I have been wanting to say for a while and right now seems a good time, I admire your qualities! :cheers:

The best way to vote. Also thanks for the compliment! I'm blushing, cheers! :cheers:

First to ... copy Pernod in ditching its artificial colours.

Yep, as stated in my most recent blog post. Now if only they both made a mass market absinthe that was correct from the beginning, you know, like Lucid did.

Check La Fée's awards at the bottom of the page...San Francisco Spirits Competition 2008 Double Gold...they didn't win that medal, Vieux Pontarlier did...

Edited by pierreverte

Most of the medals they have actually won are for label/package design anyways. Something I think should be erased from spirits competitions and left to design and marketing ones.

Double checking they didn't win any medals for the label that year either.

Yet another fraudulent claim to add to their growing list.

What's a gold amongst friends? How 'bout they haven't won any medals yet for the new version? I saw all that the other day and it just didn't sink in. It's a wonder they didn't include their son's Eagle Scout award.