Sign in to follow this  
TheLoucheyMonster!

La Fee's New Blanche

La Fee is coming out with a new blanche, which looks like it is already on sale in the UK.

Well....at least it won't have artificial colors. :dry:

George Rowley, founder of the La Fée brand and the man widely recognised for bringing the return of absinthe to the world following its notorious outlawing in France in 1915, said: "The ban on the sale of absinthe in France was lifted in May last year and that was probably the catalytic point of it becoming a global category. Off the back of that I thought it was perfect timing to do another project with Marie-Claude Delahaye and reinforce our position against the activity coming out of Switzerland. We wanted to bring back some of the traditional Blanche once produced in France, the process of which took a year.

excerpt From:

http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2012/05/...blanche-launch/

I wonder in light of all the new genuine brands available, La Fee plans on stepping up there game a bit? The XS series looks promising, but for that price Id rather buy a Jade...

The First louching absinthe I tried was La Fee Parisian, and I thought it actually tasted ok... until I tried Jade PF1901... (my first "absinth" was hills... but we wont go into that...

If it tastes like a Blanche version of Parisian count me out.

It does seem as though George is attempting to both gain legitimacy with serious absinthe lovers, as well as keep his money making party machine NV-style shill coming out. It is doubtful he will be able to get both. The La Feh hole is pretty deep as far as I'm concerned. It would take lots of drastic change he doesn't want to make for him to dig himself out.

Anyone familiar with their XS line? It would seem that is the line they are targeting toward true connoisseurs.

I still feel so much shame over the designer-gasms I experience from their packaging. It's like a bad ex you don't want to admit is still really hot. :paperbag3:

The XS line is repackaged absinthe distilled by people who have become known for distilling good absinthe. I won't name anyone for the sake of not stepping on the toes of those I like, but one is from Couvet and the other Pontarlier.

In a sense it's not really La Fee but rather it's other people's work with fancy design (which is what La Fee does best anyways).

I have a bottle of XS verte that I bought for economies of shipping.

[As stated elsewhere] it's a little light for my taste but very drinkable. I've never had another La Fee so I can't make any comparison. I won't buy a second bottle, but there are so many i haven't tried that I rarely buy a second bottle of anything

I can 'confess'(?), if that is the word, on a recent NV experience that I had to deal with/was dealt to me.

So, I do some cocktail menu designing, bar menus, etc. I also am blessed (truly- no sarcasim) to be good friends with several very well-known brand ambassadors who are, mostly, wonderful human beings.

One, whom I know respect, and love more than most, came to me with a common, but near-impossible task.

"Mate, I really, really need a good, Summer-y absinthe forward/based cocktail for a HUGE, rapid-serving event in Melbourne."

me- "Sweet. That's awesome. How many planned attendees?"

"15,000-22,000"

me- 'Gulp'. Okay- so volume and speed, huh.... hey, wait! PERFECT! Larspeart Frappes!

I give him the recipe, the method, and figure it's a hot Summer day, outdoor event/fair, lots of party-goers and merry-makers. An absinthe frappe I can teach a monkey to do in 2 minutes, and is a direct rip-off to a drink made EXACTLY for this purpose in NOLA, 1900? Done.

He's gotta use NV. His company bought the distribution rights (not his decision or call) for them for AUS.

Kay, so beyond the fact that NV is NOT absinthe... it's also not a liquor. It's closer to a liqueur, sweetened, and clocking in at 38%ABV.

/sigh.

I had no intention of buying/shipping a bottle of NV to dick around with it to even see if it would work. I gave him a modified (as best I could) recipe for the frappe, and prayed he would toy with it and play around til it was presentable.

Last I heard, it went over quite well. I'll admit it had several things going for it though. Super hot day that day, massive event where no one expects too much from the bar, great techno/trance (everything tastes better, to me, over some Armin/Ferry C, right?), and he made the drink work. Plus, I made that drink specifically so it would be damn-near-fail-proof and for a wide (read us-and-n00b') audience.

But still... gimme some Ridge, CLB, MoL, Pac... ANY real absinthe, at the right ABV, and I'd have had 5,000 believers.

Illuminating another problem with fauxsinthe. If people think it's real then they mark the entire category as this swill.

It tastes like crap because it is crap, not because of its category. But most people, myself included, never bothered to think that way. If it wasn't for Amber I would've stopped at LTV and never had absinthe again.

NV being the new LTV bears the same problem.

Yup. The pain in the ass is that 5-10,000 people now think they have drunk absinthe. They didn't. They drank something that (barely) is 'trying' to be absinthe. Yes, LTV would be a close comparison.

He increased the Peychauds, cut the shaking/dilution (considerably), and omitted- altogether- the simple. I have no idea how it tasted, other than his word (which I trust), but it's a far cry, man.

A far cry...

Illuminating another problem with fauxsinthe. If people think it's real then they mark the entire category as this swill.

It tastes like crap because it is crap, not because of its category. But most people, myself included, never bothered to think that way. If it wasn't for Amber I would've stopped at LTV and never had absinthe again.

NV being the new LTV bears the same problem.

You are very correct in my opinion. I am still doing battles with all the damage Fauxsinthe has, and continues to do to the absinthe market. Folks try this garbage and come away thinking it's absinthe when it's not.

I think there is going to be a population chart like growth in absinthe consumption. As more and more people are exposed to it, people will be drawn to this delicious libation like moths to light. However, once the myths and rumours have a chance to completely sublimate, it will stabilize withinin the realm of connoisseur-ship, and sense seekers who genuinely like the taste.

I think absinthe has a very bright future. So long as the right people remain wonderfully obsessed, absinthe will just keep getting better and better. Now that absinthe is going to be much more widely produced, we will have a chance to see if absinthe benefits from aging in oak barrels... I wonder what a 40 year old matured in sherry casks would be like? I see a long and winding path of aging and various methods of maturation. Considering that absinthe is already heavily flavoured, I'd think that 3rd or 4th refill barrels would be the way to go.

As more and more people are exposed to it, and the rumours and myths have a chance to sublimate, it will simply be another exceptional spirit on the liquor store shelves. I cant wait to see where absinthe is in 10 years from now. What new formulations, methods, herbs and general developments will have taken place.

Oh the dreams... in the meantime,

Santé!

:cheers:

What it has to do with anything La Fee I don't know but...

What it has to do with just about anything is beyond me.

But whys the rum gone?

????

And so it goes.

I believe AFO may have been saying that despite so many folks having tasted fauxsinthe and mistaken it for absinthe, he believes that genuine absinthe will ultimately benefit from the exposure once all the erroneous and inflated hype over the fauxsinthes die down, and those absinthe newbies start seeking out the real thing.

However, I'm not confident of that. It seems to me that once folks try fauxsinthes and despise the taste, they are far less likely to try a second product with the name "absinthe" on it, genuine or not. Of course, that's where the grass-roots movement must spring into action! Instead of bell, book, and candle, it'll be bottle, glass and water :cheers:

Edited by Jay

Agreed Jay.

I've heard so many times "I've had absinthe in Prauge" or "I had LTV (NV, etc.) at a bar," followed quickly by "and I hated it."

The thing is, they haven't had absinthe yet. But they hate it because they believe they've had it, and it was some knockoff crap.

I've reeducated some of my friends with a glass, and made a few converts. But I'm just a dude in a college town, not an international marketing firm pretending to be an alcohol producer.

All,

Ya'll need to realize that we are going to be dealing with the 'I drank absinthe- no, no... REAL absynthe- in Prague' for YEARS to come.

Get used to it.

I don't hear it much and I can't tune it out. I need to be heard!

I'm just selfish that way. Me me me always me me me.

We had another one of those here once. :g: