Sign in to follow this  
eskay

Absinthe in british soap operas; your mother will never let you have absinthe again.

Here's the link to the full show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ixzfY5pz8...feature=related

I haven't watch the whole thing through but I saw at least 4 scenes in which absinthe is portrayed as some secret bootleg liquor. One character recalls her "alarming" experience with absinthe back in the 60's. I didn't hear any direct references to it being a drug but it's defiantly imagined of by the characters as something more dangerous than regular spirits. This is a modern show that aired just last week.

Edited by eskay

That looks like high quality absinthe right there. :puke:

"You do know it's 90% proof, don't you." At least they know how alcohol is labeled.

At first it wasn't so bad. They call the absinthe "knockoff" at least. No mention of hallucinations or getting high. The nasty effects were all obvious references to the high alcohol content when "drunk neat." But the episode ends early, and it looks like they start to imply that drinking absinthe makes you angry/crazy.

absinthe is portrayed as some secret bootleg liquor

On that point, it looks like the cases labelled "Le Mort Verte" are stolen goods being fenced.

The man doing shots of crapsinth at the bar has a history of alcoholism, and the young (assuming under drinking age) ladies are prone to binge drinking.

Any special danger mentioned is the 89% ABV , I didn't catch any 'druggie' issues.

Unfortunate that absinthe was chosen for the story line; but It could have been worse.

So far, the viewers are not posting comments about absinthe specifically, just about the characters’ drinking problems. I recommend WS members not drawing any more attention to absinthe in the comments section, unless the viewers' comments go in that direction.

I scanned though the next episode and it does not look like the writers stay focused on absinthe.

Thanks for posting that link, eskay. It is good to keep up with these issus!

imply that drinking absinthe makes you angry/crazy

It doesn't?

It's the ethanol man, I'm telling you, that ethanol crap will fuck you up if you're not careful. :laugh:

How to make your own absinthe.

So everyone's been doing it the wrong way up to now ... :devil:

In the space of a few words, this looks like the most inaccurate absinthe article. Ever. I'm trying to find something that is correct. Unsuccessfully so far.

Even the silly cartoon lady doesn't change her clothes, her shoes and her jewellery over the space of 2 weeks ...

Edit: should have posted as a new topic, but got so enraged I made a mistake. Admin: feel free to move.

Edited by Alan Moss

But there should be. In that closet.

I'm trying to find something that is correct. Unsuccessfully so far.

On view seven of seven, there's a reasonable facsimile of the inevitable technicolor yawn resulting from drinking that HG crustacean purgative:

7864647.170.jpg

Edited by Artemis