optional

Trouble with the Jade line

Although I LOVE Jade bottles, am I the only one to have problems with the corks they use? They seem to be terrible quality, always very dry and crumbly. I inevitably get a few bits of cork in the absinthe and have to transfer/decant into another container.

Do I suck at opening these bottles or is this is a common occurance?

You know, I have all but one of the Jades, and the last is on the way. I've noticed that their corks are really spongey and squishy, and really hard to get out of the bottle. Also they are pretty tough to put back in the bottle. I think they need to do something about that!

Edited by Amy Lewis

Many years ago now, i was spending a week in Manhattan with a female acquaintance, and we had a couple of bottles of wine and no corkscrew. I used the ignition key from my car (a Honda) - drove it down into the cork and wrenched it out.

Well... so long as this thread has already been resurrected recently by others, I'll add my bit--

got my hands on the bottle of Jade Nouvelle Orleans that I'd been talking about in my intro post... it's the best absinthe I've had so far-- great booze.

But, I too had trouble with the disintegrating cork... pretty well destroyed it, trying to get all the pieces out of the bottle. However, it seems that I was lucky-- although the cork came apart and I wound up digging it out, layer by layer, I got the bottom layer out as more or less a disc and managed to keep all the bits and pieces of shredded cork out of the absinthe. Now-- yeah, I'm using one of those plastic/rubber "universal stoppers" made by Rabbit for wine bottles. At least they were in stock at the PX.

I read this thread after I had my own experience.... yes, if/when I get another bottle of Jade (more likely when than if, but it'll be a while before the spare cash is available again for a new bottle of absinthe)-- I'll buy the twin-prong remover and use it when I uncork the bottle... :)

First timer bought a bottle of Jade NO and was careful with cork thanks to this thread. It broke on me but was able to remove with out cork debris. I wonder if these are stored horizontally which would cause the high alcohol content to degrade the cork?