optional

Trouble with the Jade line

I have no open flames near my booze. I use hot tap water and/or scrape it off with a knife.

Adventure isn't on my bucket list. :devil:

Never had a problem myself with that method. You don't actually touch the flame to the wax anyway. Either way will work fine. You could always heat the corkscrew up instead. Doesn't take much heat to warm it enough to puncture the wax.

After its open, light the coals and take a walk.

Edited by greytail

Happy to be at your service (taking the liberty of speaking for all of us)! :cheers:

Adventure isn't on my bucket list.
I will change that for you if you let me. I'm a firm believer, every day should be an adventure. If one doesn't come my way, I'll hunt the fucker down like a dog. ;)

Well since this hobby/obsession/love seems to revolve much around ritual I would expect something. What's it gonna be? A goat? A bottle of Doubs to the society elders? Or shall I mail my cut off ear when I goes craaaaazy from that dang thujone like that artist fella?

cut off ear when I goes craaaaazy from that dang thujone like that artist fella?

Yes, that will do nicely.

When you go crazy from absinthe that is. That shit ain't happenin'. :cheers:

:twitchsmile: :nono: Naw man, you have to swear a blood oath with your best friend who then cuts off your ear with a sword and tosses it in a river. You then find it and give it to a prostitute as a gift. You then later at the age of 37 get shot by one of your two teenager Frenemies and remain silent taking the fall for them even though they tormented you and treated you like :poop: . You tell the authorities you shot yourself in the gut. You die from the wound :3869-sadbanana: Poor Vincent Van Gogh... Oh and he suffered from a mental illness that tormented him brought on by epileptic seizures. If the rays of the sunlight hit him wrong he would suffer from terrible psychological torment, his nerve recepters in his brain would light up like a christmas tree, a thunderstorm would cause him great torture, also not to mention his Bipolar Disorder (Manic Depression). As for absinthe he like many great artists who resided in the French Countryside took a penchant to the great drink! It is a shame that he died thinking his paintings were worthless and he would be forgotten. It cannot be farther from the truth! :3869-sadbanana:

I kindof have a thing for both art and history :blush: Btw We also have a discussion of Van Gogh somewhere here. Enjoy it Strange Botwin and most of the time truth is more fascinating than myth,legend, and misconception as you will learn here! :thumbup: This post has been proofread and edited to death by Cajun Magic . Never write an essay on Van Gogh after drinking like I did on W.S.

Edited by Cajun Magic

Luckily we have a serious History Scholar here :thumbup: I don't mean to toot my own horn but *TOOT TOOT*! :yahoo: But I digress :g:

As for the Nouvelle Orleans I have I plan on doing what Ambear said for the wax and use a buttler's friend for the cork. I will then use a T-cork as a replacement in my case one I saved from a bottle of Redbreast that is loooong gone. I will use it with certainty that it will not affect the taste and would be perfect! :cheers:

Edited by Cajun Magic

History scholars and serious history buffs are like piranhas here. Including the ones distilling the stuff.

I wish I could go back in time and convince Dr. G to teach us more about distilling.

Good Lord, that ain't the one. :)

Dr. G taught thermodynamics at the University of Slow Learners. the science behind power generation, air conditioning, and distilling.

Add me for another brittle cork experience. Thank you Joe for providing a bottle and cork for my JL1901 to reside in. That damn Jade cork grenaded itself, it was even more brittle than the older NO corks I have opened before. And this JL1901 bottle had the new lablel. Now affixed to a former ridge bottle

the bag trick does not work well with very long bottle necks, and severely deformed corks. Shame, the bottle is stouter and darker than anything I got, but it has a darn cork in it.

I bought a bottle of Jade Eddy a month ago. Cork snapped right off despite my attempts to be very careful. Decanted it into an old Walton Waters bottle while getting surprisingly little to cork bits floating around. I just crushed up the bits of remaining cork in the Jade bottle with a butter knife and rinsed it out. The corks are quite brittle.

It took two decantings to stop drinking cork. I just saw my local booze store has twin blade openers, So I'll get 4 since I got Jade products for by brothers and dad for x-mas.

I do have to ask, do little bits of cork affect the flavour in any significant way? I just noticed (a couple months after opening) that both my Jade Eddy and EP Perroquet both have little bits of cork and wax in the bottle. Not a huge amount, but enough to get a few specks in each glass. Either way, my jade cork broke as well... fortunately it was a relatively clean break and I could pull out the second half with another go of the corkscrew.

:cheers:

I just don't get it folks. I opened a newly recieved bottle of Jade 1901 this morning. The wax seal.? Whacked it with a butter knife a couple times, wax seal gone, no problem. Popped the cork right out with my 'Houdini' all in one piece. From completely sealed to completely opened in less than a minute, no wax in the bottle and no broken cork. :fork:

From what I remember I had trouble with brittle corks in 2/4 of the Jades that I got.

It was a long time ago and I was a noob with corks then.

I just don't like how you have to get another T-cork or stopper to plug the bottles back up again.

I have opened a few corked absinthe bottles, and while fragile, they did come out without in one piece. This one was so brittle it just grenaded. The rub was that the Jade corks that came out in one piece were 2008 corks pulled out in 2012, while the suicidal Jade cork is a from a 2011 bottle. Wax wasn't an issue, a little warm water got it right off. From now on, I'll take Jay's and FPB's advice about the twin prong puller.

what Evan said, PITA to need a different cork. On the good side, Ridge and Pacifique have provided plenty of them. the bad side is that for the gift jades, I'll get new t-corks from Spec's since used T-corks are probably not the thing for a Xmas present.

Edited by Père Ubu

The beauty of using the twin prong is that it doesn't put a hole through the middle of your cork and you can use the cork to close the bottle again. However, recently I did break the cork to a bottle of Marteau after removing it and putting it back in several times