May the louche be with you!

#2 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,678 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

Nice shirt.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#3 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

... and helping overturn its ban in the US.

Show me the law.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#4 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

Yeah, that caught my eye also. Could refer to a ban as a rule and not law, meaning no chance of getting label approval for 'Absinthe', even if it was not techincally illegal.

#5 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

Nothing changed, not even a rule. It's just PR. There's nothing wrong with PR, but when it creates a false history, it bears being corrected.

Absinthe itself has been legal since at least the 1960s, when Artemisia species were added to the approved additives list. Probably earlier, since wormwood was already being used in vermouth and there wasn't any law prohibiting its use.

Absente got a label approved in 2001 bearing the word "Absinthe" with "refined" as a modifier. If Michel Roux had had the foresight to use the terms Supèrieure or Verte, and he knew that a formula containing absinthium could pass the test, we'd be celebrating him as the guy that brought absinthe back. Lucid simply used "Supèrieure" as the modifier instead.

Kübler submitted a sample and formula in 2003 that was approved, showing that the spirit itself was okay. Their label was rejected for using the term "absinthe" standing alone. If they'd thought to modify it with another word, such as "blanche", "suisse", etc., we'd be giving them credit, but TTB doesn't just give out handy advice to assist in label approval. They seldom give suggestions of what you can do, they only tell you what you can't do.

It's just the case that Viridian's lawyers understood how to navigate the already-existing requirements and get both the formula and the label approved.

We'll have real cause for celebration—and a real Absinthe Day—when absinthe is added to the CFR as a designated Class of spirit, with an accurate and meaningful legal definition.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#6 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

If Michel Roux had had the foresight to use the terms Supèrieure or Verte, we'd be celebrating him as the guy that brought absinthe back.

Ah, no.

That poster with Abraham Lincoln, Linda Blair and Rush Limbaugh still gives me nightmares. Then there was the product ...

It's just the case that Viridian's lawyers understood how to navigate the already-existing requirements and get both the formula and the label approved.

Lawyers go where clandestine distillateurs fear to tread ;)

#7 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Lawyers go where clandestine distillateurs fear to tread ;)

Ha! :thumbup:
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#8 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

I appreciate the science he helped bring into the category. I've cited those studies an awful lot. It's one thing for a lawyer to fight with the TTB, and quite another to be the one to produce the ammo.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#9 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

Good point.

#10 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

True Dat!

Ted is about the first person you read about when you google absinthe, and his research is the best way to calm any nerves that relied on BS put out by many (in my case Jean Lafitte's Absinthe House Bar, back in the 1980s and 1990s).

#11 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

Ted is well spoken and well rehearsed (sp?) when it comes to absinthe interviews.

He's probably given a half dozen or more. ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#12 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:05 AM

Tens of them, even!
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#13 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,678 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

This week. :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#14 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

He would have made a good politician. I've told him that to his face. He smiled.

#15 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

He has the name to run in LA. Any relation to the former Senator?

#16 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Kübler submitted a sample and formula in 2003 that was approved, showing that the spirit itself was okay. Their label was rejected for using the term "absinthe" standing alone. If they'd thought to modify it with another word, such as "blanche", "suisse", etc., we'd be giving them credit...

In fairness, it seems that modifying the name in that way was not an option during the early stages of negotiations, and only became a possibility after Kübler wore the TTB down. According to this account on Oxy's site, "At one point TTB summarily urged us to “delete all references to absinthe because it's a drug term (no matter how spelled).”"

All of which fits in with the idea that while there may have been no actual law on the books prohibiting absinthe in the U.S., there was a certain government mindset which amounted to a de facto law preventing its being legally sold in the U.S. until the TTB and FDA were given enough evidence and cajoled into recognizing that absinthe is not a drug.

Unfortunately, having absinthe recognized as a category in the U.S. appears to be an uphill battle in the foreseeable future.

#17 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

Any relation to the former Senator?

I asked him about that once and as I remember, he said yes, he is. But politicians lie sometimes.

All of which fits in with the idea that while there may have been no actual law on the books prohibiting absinthe in the U.S., there was a certain government mindset which amounted to a de facto law preventing its being legally sold in the U.S. until the TTB and FDA were given enough evidence and cajoled into recognizing that absinthe is not a drug.

Very well said. There was a ton of discussion about this on the forums back in the day, and it was my belief at the time, shared by many if not most people, that absinthe would not be legal in the U.S. in our lifetime. While we may have had little understanding of the law, we knew good and well how that mindset works, as it goes well beyond absinthe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association