Alandia's products

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 JustinLamb

JustinLamb

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Has anyone tried the absinthe 'Heritage' from Alandia? Or can anyone vouch for any of Alandia's products. I only saw one review for 1 of their absinthes. It was for 'Maison Alandia.' They do not offer any special shipping costs for expensive orders. So I would need some feedback before trying them out.

forget and allow.

#2 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

All over the forum, you'll find lots of talk about old Alandia, new Alandia, and their offerings.

Here's a quick search.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#3 JustinLamb

JustinLamb

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

All over the forum, you'll find lots of talk about old Alandia, new Alandia, and their offerings.

Here's a quick search.

I searched the forum for the absinthe 'Heritage', their brand I was most curious about, and came up empty. It's worth a shot for me to see if anyone has tried it. The actual 'reviews' are quite limited, for Alandia's current offerings. The Maison being the only I could I find. There are however, a couple of reviews for some outdated brands of theirs'.

forget and allow.

#4 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

That would be because Heritage is not an Alandia product, and rather a product distilled by Paul Devoille, in Fougerolles. Vert d'Asinthe also sells it, and heureverte.com has a review

Une absinthe anisée qui manque de caractère. Elle se rapproche plus d'une Libertine Intense que d'une Coquette (également faites à la distillerie Devoille), ou même d'une Soixante-Cinq qui a pour elle une originalité énorme due à son gout de pain d'épice.
La présence d'un peu d'anis étoilé est peut-être redondante par rapport à l'importance de l'anis vert et du fenouil écrasant, qui assurent déjà une énorme épaisseur. Heureusement, de petites notes poivrées donnent un peu d'originalité à cette absinthe Heritage qui n'est vraiment pas destinée à un public trop expérimenté.

An anised absinthe which like temper/character. It is definitely more alike to a Libertine intense rather than a Coquette or a Soixante Cinq (also made at Devoille), the later having this particular taste of gingerbread.
The star anise may be redundant regarding the strength of the green anise and the over powering fenel, both of which also giving a good thickness to the product. Luckily, peppered notes give a bit of originality to this absinthe Heritage, which is definitely not aimed at the finest palates.

-----------------------------

Personnal side note : being distilled at Devoille, this absinthe is served by their excellent, but very strong wine alcohol base, which is not that far from the very strong wine alcohol of the original Edouard Pernod's absinthes

Or can anyone vouch for any of Alandia's products

So called "Alandia products" are actually quite scarce. There would be "Maison Alandia" and "Epoque". The others (such as Republique for instance) are rebranded products, that you can find elsewhere under their real name.
I have only tasted Epoque, the price tag of which used to put in on par with the Jades, and indeed it was this top level it was aiming for, and my feelings are... Meh.

Edited by Clement Arnoux (Aggelos), 30 April 2012 - 07:14 AM.

Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#5 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

In a way, some products have an unspoken review of "average" like a 3.0 out of 5 stars, or, in grade school terms, give it a 'C' grade.

No one hated it enough to post about it, and no one loved it enough to mention.
( that is for an absinthe that has been on the market awhile, not a new one)

My way of searching out one of the more obscure 'sleeper' brands is look at the vendor and distiller. As Clement pointed out, it comes from Devoille, which as a fairly good reputation, I would assume it is probably at least good.

But Alandia has a few crap brands, made under contract, so now your back to unknown.

With so many known good to excellent rated brands out there, I would be reluctant to "roll the dice" with the Heritage at its price.

But then, if you need a third or forth bottle, to take advantage of a shipping deal, a gamble on the unknown or little known brand could pay off.

It short, I vote "No Buy", unless you want to cover your gamble with some kind of bundle deal.

#6 JustinLamb

JustinLamb

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

In a way, some products have an unspoken review of "average" like a 3.0 out of 5 stars, or, in grade school terms, give it a 'C' grade.

No one hated it enough to post about it, and no one loved it enough to mention.
( that is for an absinthe that has been on the market awhile, not a new one)

My way of searching out one of the more obscure 'sleeper' brands is look at the vendor and distiller. As Clement pointed out, it comes from Devoille, which as a fairly good reputation, I would assume it is probably at least good.

But Alandia has a few crap brands, made under contract, so now your back to unknown.

With so many known good to excellent rated brands out there, I would be reluctant to "roll the dice" with the Heritage at its price.

But then, if you need a third or forth bottle, to take advantage of a shipping deal, a gamble on the unknown or little known brand could pay off.

It short, I vote "No Buy", unless you want to cover your gamble with some kind of bundle deal.

Thank you. Very helpful. Maybe one of these days I will try the three I am interested in. The Maison, Heritage, and Suissie Verte. Their shipping Is steep. They also have a cigar size sample kit which has all three in it. Thanks again for helpful reply.

forget and allow.

#7 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'm not going to be too critical about Alandia but I just prefer a business that rarely has bad absinthe.

It's supply and demand. I demand quality........sometimes I'm let down. I only shop at three different places.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#8 JustinLamb

JustinLamb

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

I'm not going to be too critical about Alandia but I just prefer a business that rarely has bad absinthe.

It's supply and demand. I demand quality........sometimes I'm let down. I only shop at three different places.

Which three places do you order from? If you don't mind me asking. I was super pleased with my order from Absinthes.com. Especially now that I know the wait time for delivery. If I knew of a couple of other good places to order from, with a quicker delivery, that would be great. But if I have to wait 3 weeks for an awesome order, that's OK too.

Edited by JustinLamb, 02 May 2012 - 08:08 PM.

forget and allow.

#9 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

You can't go wrong with any of the vendors on the WS front page. :cheers:
HERE ya go!

All have a good track record.

#10 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

Absinthes/EP/etc., Catskills Cellars, and Caddel&Williams are my goto places, although I've heard good things about all the recommended vendors.

#11 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:09 AM

My go to places when purchasing absinthe:

LdF absintheonline.com
DrinkUpNy
Catskill Cellars

Nothing but top notch service and been using them for years without concern for my orders.

These are just my favorites. I like to go in rotation so I keep the list of vendors short. It's a $$$ thing.

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#12 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:38 AM

Yeah, I need to get past my fear of Lbs. and hit LDF one day.

#13 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

I like all of those that Bill mentioned, and absinthes.com
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#14 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

I use absinthes.com,Ld'F (both offer free shipping w/a $200 minimum order) & duny.com. I just checked out Absinthe Salon in Australia,holy shit !!! are those prices for real?

Edited by redwun, 03 May 2012 - 06:24 PM.

You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#15 JustinLamb

JustinLamb

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

I have the $10 off card from Absinthes.com now, for more incentive to buy from them again. That, and their large selection. They have a lot of what's on my list to try. The only thing I would improve is the delivery time. I kind of stressed over tracking this past order. Now I know what to expect at least.

forget and allow.

#16 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

I just checked out Absinthe Salon in Australia,holy shit !!! are those prices for real?

Those prices are in Australian dollars, not USD

#17 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

I googled a USD conversion & it came up almost equal. :shock:

#18 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

Just re-checked: 1 AUD = 1.018 USD. Don't ya' think those prices are a little stiff?

#19 Abs

Abs

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

They got a cool set of glasses for sale though at 100 ml might be better suited for Jack Daniel's night. Same design but smaller capacity cheaper at Amazon.
Posted Image

http://www.alandia.d...-Glass-Set.html

#20 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

Ha Ha!! they wanted almost $150.00 for a 50 ml bottle of Kübler http://www.alandia.d...LES-SOLD--.html Ok,it was 57% rather than the newer 53% stuff.(bonus)!!!! You can get a full litre of Kübler just about anywhere for like...$53 ?....... :thumbdown:

Edited by redwun, 07 August 2012 - 07:24 AM.

#21 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

There is a reason for the approved vendors list. :)

#22 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

Indeed! :wave2:

#23 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, I need to get past my fear of Lbs. and hit LDF one day.

After my last order I'm convinced there are magicians working at LDF. They got the booze over here so fast it almost seemed impossible.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#24 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Ian is hiding in your shrubbery.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#25 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

I could make comparisons but nobody has beat LdF yet as far as shipping times.

Some have gotten close but not bested. Merely an observation. :cheers:

#26 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

:shock: <checks under skirt>
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#27 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

As good a starting place as any. :devil:

#28 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,541 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

:shock: <checks under skirt>

I thought all y'all youngins did that Brazilian thang. :devil:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#29 Strange Botwin

Strange Botwin

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

I don't have a ton of experience, but LDF came through with some outstanding customer service to go along with their fine absinthes. Super helpful and exceptionally quick considering it is coming from overseas. I will throw them my business all day long.
I voluntarily inflicted a certain level of insanity on myself - Jonathan Franzen

#30 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

I think that poster is actually from the historical absinthe scare of 1905. But the skull glasses aren't even designed well. I wouldn't even buy them and I am a sucker for skulls. (<-NSFW if you hit the random button).

Edited by Evan Camomile, 07 August 2012 - 04:41 PM.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association