Sign in to follow this  
elfnmagik

Belgian 411

I recently discovered a Belgian White that I really like....but I can't remember the name of it :blush: I know that it has a blue lable. I've never been much of a beer drinker (which is unfortunate here in microbrew land) so I was excited to find one that I actually like :)

I think it's that Blanche de Namur, I know it wasn't the blue moon. I tried that after the other because the good one is only sold at one store and I didn't feel like driving that far. I also had San Juan White at a restaurant that was pretty good.

Actually, I think the Belgian had a brown/taupe/grey label and was something like Hogarten. It was deffinately not Blanche de Namur. We were told it was the "white" all other whites try to be.

Blue Moon is Coors? Yikes! I thought it was that Oregon brewery that makes Blue Heron.

I really like Fullers out of London especially their IPA

Veering away from Belgium for a moment, I had a terrific "cream stout" a few years ago in Nairobi. As I recall it was made by the same folks who make "Tusker", but it seems the brewery was bought out by the folks at Castle (South Africa). Not sure if it is as good, but I'd buy it again if it was available...

NAMUR is the home of an international standards committe on a hardware level interface for sensors for Industrial Control systems.

It is also in France which makes for a surprise to see a good beer coming from there. The French are not particularly noted for their brewing prowess.

As for wheat beer, forget about Hoegaarden and go for Blanche de Namur.

I don't think I've ever seen that around here. How does it compare to the Hoegaarden?

The best one I've found here, so far, is Caracole Troublette. A bit more spicy and citrusy than the Hoegaarden, and not quote as "soapy" feeling.

Blanche de Namur is also less "soapy" than Hoegaarden. More refreshing. Sounds like that Caracole Troublette has some of the same virtues.

NAMUR is the home of an international standards committe on a hardware level interface for sensors for Industrial Control systems.

It is also in France which makes for a surprise to see a good beer coming from there. The French are not particularly noted for their brewing prowess.

What? Namur is in Belgium.

Duvel is the best ale on earth. Period. I've tried a lot of the ones mentioned and Duvel tastes the best, has the best texture, smells the best, and gets you hammered fast!

What? Namur is in Belgium.

My bad. All the french text in the specs I was reading threw me. I guess I should pay closer attention.

1. Westvleteren 12.

2. Rochefort 10

3.Westmalle Triple

4. Scaldis Prestige

5. Rochefort 8

6. Girardin

7. Hanssen's Oud Geueze

8. St. Feuillian Triple

9. Duvel

10. Saisn de Pipaix

OK, here is what I ended up with:

Westmalle Tripple

Rochefort 10

Fantome Ete

Unibroue La fin Du Monde

Abbaye Des Rocs Gran Cru

Ommegang

Saxo

NorthCoast Rasputin

NorthCoast Old Stock Ale

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Monster Ale (Barleywine)

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Gift sets

St Bernardus

Chimay

Duvel

Thanks for everyone's advice :cheers:

My bad. All the french text in the specs I was reading threw me. I guess I should pay closer attention.

Yeah, it's one of those multilingual countries like Switzerland, but with Dutch instead of German (and Italian and Rhaeto-Romance and whatever other languages Switzerland officially recognizes)

Actually, german is the third official language of Belgium. Which means that you could theoretically, when dealing with the authorities, demand a german speaker. In practice, though, that's not gonna happen. In Brussels, you'd have a hard time finding a flemish speaker behind any counter too, even though the city is officially bilingual - every street sign, as well as subtitles on movies, are in both languages.

Oh, and german is not an official language of Switzerland, at least not if you ask people from Zürich and around. Swiss german is; while it's a (weird) dialect of german to the rest of the world, they themselves consider it a language of its own.

Confused? If not, let's move on to former Yugoslavia ...

For those with a Trader Joe's nearby (which is any of you Seattle folks, for sure); Unibroue has release a Trader Joe's exclusive 2005 Vintage Ale. It's one of the darkest Belgian-style ales I've ever encountered, and very very good. Strongly malty and spicy, wtih some interesting fruit notes. It is just a little rough and yeasty, so it could use a good year or two of cellaring before it's at its peak. Got a few bottles going into my own cellar. At five dollars for a 22, it's a pretty good deal as well.

I'm at my parents' place in northern VA for the holidays. I'm anxious to see if they have a better beer selection than Arkansas (I sure hope so). If anyone knows good places to go in the area, let me know.

In DC, the best bottled beer selection (thought to be one of the largest in the country) is at the Brickskeller, 1523 22nd St. NW.

The best on-tap selection in the city is at R.F.D. Washington (same ownership), 810 7th St. NW.

Also make sure to check out the Shenandoah Brewing Company (brewpub) - 652 S. Pickett Street - Alexandria, VA. If you like barleywines, you need to try their Millennium Ale.

Just got back from Asheville NC (visiting Biltmore House) and I stopped off to pick up some beer.

I found several belgians, and a really weird beer that claims to be a reincarnation of the original Russian Imperial Stout (Imperial Extra Double Stout).

allaboutbeer

BeerSpot

Not belgian,but interesting.

I also got a bottle of Synebrychoff Porter.