Sign in to follow this  
Gumby2.0

A good baseline

Based on a couple comments I just received I'm asking for a little help:

What I have been drinking mostly is Absente, and I'm told that this is most likely not the best representation of Absinthe in general. One of the posts said this is because it is not made with Grand Wormwood, even though packaging claims it now is "made with grand wormwood". Personally, I like the taste. It seems like there is a bit of complexity beyond the anise flavor, and I like it. Not only the way it tastes, but also the feeling I get from it-- far superior to a good bottle of bourbon.

I got a bottle of Lucid a while back. I believe the words I used were-- it tasted alright, but the aftertaste made me want to vomit. It was something along the lines of that funny yucky taste you get when drinking a diet coke for the first time.

I'm interested in getting a bottle of something a little closer to what would be a good baseline flavor for typical "traditional" Absinthe. I've been considering picking up a bottle of Meadow of Love, and/or Vieux Carre. However, the descriptions for both sound like there are some added herbs/flavors not typically used. And like I said, I'm looking for something I can use as a good baseline (domestic preferred) to figure out if this really is something I really have a taste for.

Any recommendations or help that could be offered is much appreciated!!

:)

Edited by Gumby2.0

A good baseline absinthe is somewhat hard to define as there are different styles (Pontarlier, Montpelier, Nimes, etc.) which gives multiple baselines. To me the Pontarlier style embodies the most traditional style, but know that they are all traditional styles. I think the Pontarlier style sticks out to me due to the fact that pre-ban Pernod Fils reminds me the most of this style and that's often considered the gold standard of absinthe.

With that said, I'll add Walton Waters as my vote for a good baseline Pontarlier style. Jade PF 1901 and Duplais Verte are also good and I think they'd fit that style.

For a Montpelier style of absinthe, Pacifique seems to be the go to brand. I'm not sure if any other brands openly say that they use that recipe so it kind of wins by default. One things for certain, you'd be just fine using that as your baseline for this style.

Belle Amie is a great example of Nimes style. While I don't recall the makers ever openly admitting that it's a Nimes style, it most certainly tastes like one.

tl;dr

Walton Waters

Edited by Phoenix

I appreciate the input. It gave me a few to look over for sure. I think I'm going to start with the Ridge Verte, but at least now I have a few more to put on the wish list.

Thanks guys!!! (and gals!!)

Seems the ordering for Catskill Cellars is kinda jacked up. The state is set at New York, with no option to set it for where I live. Do they only ship to New York?

be advised as well that all of the aforementioned brands have pretty distinct flavors. Ridge is traditional but still pretty individual, as are pretty much all of the worthwhile absinthes. It's not gonna taste like Duplais, or Walton Waters. But any of these choices will be delicious, IMHO. It seems confusing to the noob, but doing the, ahem, "research" will show itself to be quite worthwhile. :dev-cheers:

but yeah, what the droopy dawg said.

Edited by buddhasynth

Catskill Cellars are top notch. My default store, based on price and service. get a see saw dripper while you are there. BTW, all their absinthe offerings are top notch, not a decent one in the bunch, all just top notch amazingly great.

They get to me without issue. If you still have doubts, call in the morning. Julie is very nice, knowledgable, and helpful. They are on FB too.

I just checked The Total Wine & more shop in Tucson

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/search/absinthe!startRow/1

and from what they have on hand:

1. Vieux Carre would be top choice

2. Mansinthe next

3 Kübler third. ( but has good value as it is a full liter instead of 750)

Nothing else they have on hand is good at all.

Seems the ordering for Catskill Cellars is kinda jacked up. The state is set at New York, with no option to set it for where I live. Do they only ship to New York?

click the blue arrow next to new york and a list of states will pop up

That is absent on the shipping info half. I got an email from Julie though, and she said it wouldn't be a problem as long as I have the right post code in there.

Thanks for the heads up Monster!! I didn't know there would be something so close!! I might go down that way this weekend now!! :clap:

What I have been drinking mostly is Absente, and I'm told that this is most likely not the best representation of Absinthe in general.

Unless something has changed in ten years, Absente isn't absinthe at all. It was never a representation of anything other than Absente. Even if it's changed, rest assured it's still being lapped by even the three-legged nags in the field.

Well.... Thanks to Monster's post I picked up a bottle of the VC on my way home. I'm really excited to get into it tonight with a movie. I'm excited to try a few of the others soon too!!

Anyways.... Hope this helps out any other newbies in the process. And for now, I have a great list piled up thanks to everyone. :laugh:

SSSSOOOO looking forward to the pending experiment!!!

This is Gumby, off and out-tro. For now-ish. See you on the other threads for sure.

:devil: :punk: :devil: :dev-cheers: :devil: :punk: :devil: