• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Gumby2.0

Gumby2.0

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Based on a couple comments I just received I'm asking for a little help:

What I have been drinking mostly is Absente, and I'm told that this is most likely not the best representation of Absinthe in general. One of the posts said this is because it is not made with Grand Wormwood, even though packaging claims it now is "made with grand wormwood". Personally, I like the taste. It seems like there is a bit of complexity beyond the anise flavor, and I like it. Not only the way it tastes, but also the feeling I get from it-- far superior to a good bottle of bourbon.

I got a bottle of Lucid a while back. I believe the words I used were-- it tasted alright, but the aftertaste made me want to vomit. It was something along the lines of that funny yucky taste you get when drinking a diet coke for the first time.

I'm interested in getting a bottle of something a little closer to what would be a good baseline flavor for typical "traditional" Absinthe. I've been considering picking up a bottle of Meadow of Love, and/or Vieux Carre. However, the descriptions for both sound like there are some added herbs/flavors not typically used. And like I said, I'm looking for something I can use as a good baseline (domestic preferred) to figure out if this really is something I really have a taste for.

Any recommendations or help that could be offered is much appreciated!!

:)

Edited by Gumby2.0, 25 April 2012 - 06:11 PM.

Today is the tomorrow you promised to yourself yesterday.

#2 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

Pacifique or Ridge Verte. And thats my two cents worth.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#3 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'll second those recommendations and add Duplais Verte to that list.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#4 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

A good baseline absinthe is somewhat hard to define as there are different styles (Pontarlier, Montpelier, Nimes, etc.) which gives multiple baselines. To me the Pontarlier style embodies the most traditional style, but know that they are all traditional styles. I think the Pontarlier style sticks out to me due to the fact that pre-ban Pernod Fils reminds me the most of this style and that's often considered the gold standard of absinthe.

With that said, I'll add Walton Waters as my vote for a good baseline Pontarlier style. Jade PF 1901 and Duplais Verte are also good and I think they'd fit that style.

For a Montpelier style of absinthe, Pacifique seems to be the go to brand. I'm not sure if any other brands openly say that they use that recipe so it kind of wins by default. One things for certain, you'd be just fine using that as your baseline for this style.

Belle Amie is a great example of Nimes style. While I don't recall the makers ever openly admitting that it's a Nimes style, it most certainly tastes like one.

tl;dr
Walton Waters

Edited by Phoenix, 25 April 2012 - 07:06 PM.

"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#5 Gumby2.0

Gumby2.0

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

I appreciate the input. It gave me a few to look over for sure. I think I'm going to start with the Ridge Verte, but at least now I have a few more to put on the wish list.

Thanks guys!!! (and gals!!)

#6 Gumby2.0

Gumby2.0

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

Seems the ordering for Catskill Cellars is kinda jacked up. The state is set at New York, with no option to set it for where I live. Do they only ship to New York?

#7 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

be advised as well that all of the aforementioned brands have pretty distinct flavors. Ridge is traditional but still pretty individual, as are pretty much all of the worthwhile absinthes. It's not gonna taste like Duplais, or Walton Waters. But any of these choices will be delicious, IMHO. It seems confusing to the noob, but doing the, ahem, "research" will show itself to be quite worthwhile. :dev-cheers:

but yeah, what the droopy dawg said.

Edited by buddhasynth, 25 April 2012 - 07:43 PM.

What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#8 Gumby2.0

Gumby2.0

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Nice!!! I'm looking forward to it for sure!!

#9 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Catskill Cellars are top notch. My default store, based on price and service. get a see saw dripper while you are there. BTW, all their absinthe offerings are top notch, not a decent one in the bunch, all just top notch amazingly great.

#10 Gumby2.0

Gumby2.0

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

**Like** I'd like it more if I could place an order and make sure it gets sent to me.....

#11 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

They get to me without issue. If you still have doubts, call in the morning. Julie is very nice, knowledgable, and helpful. They are on FB too.

#12 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

I just checked The Total Wine & more shop in Tucson

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/search/absinthe!startRow/1

and from what they have on hand:
1. Vieux Carre would be top choice
2. Mansinthe next
3 Kübler third. ( but has good value as it is a full liter instead of 750)

Nothing else they have on hand is good at all.

#13 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

Seems the ordering for Catskill Cellars is kinda jacked up. The state is set at New York, with no option to set it for where I live. Do they only ship to New York?

click the blue arrow next to new york and a list of states will pop up

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#14 Gumby2.0

Gumby2.0

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

That is absent on the shipping info half. I got an email from Julie though, and she said it wouldn't be a problem as long as I have the right post code in there.

Thanks for the heads up Monster!! I didn't know there would be something so close!! I might go down that way this weekend now!! :clap:

#15 Gumby2.0

Gumby2.0

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

oops. Sorry about the double on that. I'd delete it but can't figure out how.

#16 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Taken care of. ;)
Julie is first class, right?

#17 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

What I have been drinking mostly is Absente, and I'm told that this is most likely not the best representation of Absinthe in general.

Unless something has changed in ten years, Absente isn't absinthe at all. It was never a representation of anything other than Absente. Even if it's changed, rest assured it's still being lapped by even the three-legged nags in the field.

#18 Gumby2.0

Gumby2.0

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Well.... Thanks to Monster's post I picked up a bottle of the VC on my way home. I'm really excited to get into it tonight with a movie. I'm excited to try a few of the others soon too!!

#19 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

It's all good Gumby. Sometimes we double click when we're caught up in the moment. ;)

:cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#20 Gumby2.0

Gumby2.0

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Anyways.... Hope this helps out any other newbies in the process. And for now, I have a great list piled up thanks to everyone. :laugh:

SSSSOOOO looking forward to the pending experiment!!!

This is Gumby, off and out-tro. For now-ish. See you on the other threads for sure.

:devil: :punk: :devil: :dev-cheers: :devil: :punk: :devil:

#21 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,636 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

It's all good Gumby.

That's what she said.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association