• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#31 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

I have no such fear. :) Been ridiculed in an online forum is not a big issue. I'm not saying to post wildly crazy stuff, but if you have a neat idea, or a public discovery, go for it.

#32 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

A while back up at Leopold Bros. we got to taste one or two of the distillates that go into the gin, and I remember thinking that one of them in particular (memory fails me which one) I'd love to have a full bottle.

Distilled Cardamom?

Oooh, sounds familiar, I bet that was it. And re-reading this I noticed I said "taste", I believe we just passed it around to smell, not taste. Whatever it was, I remember smelling it and wanting to take it home.

#33 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Amber and I had a similar experience with the cardamom in their distillery.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#34 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,728 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

You guys need to try some Montemarte Verte sometime. It's always struck me as cardamom-y. (Card-a-mommy? :twitchsmile:)

There was a verte being produced here in the U.S. that tasted heavily of cardamom to me...it might have been Sirene, but I may be mistaken on that. I only tried it once up on the Ridge before, during, and after several other glasses so sadly, I don't remember the brand.

Edited by baubel, 18 April 2012 - 07:07 PM.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#35 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

I've got a sample of Sirene here, so I can let you know once I get a chance to crack it open.

I love cardamom. :wub:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#36 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,711 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

Been ridiculed in an online forum is not a big issue.

Whatever you tried to say. :laf:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#37 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

Autocorrect did not catch that? ;)

#38 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

A while back up at Leopold Bros. we got to taste one or two of the distillates that go into the gin, and I remember thinking that one of them in particular (memory fails me which one) I'd love to have a full bottle.

Distilled Cardamom?

Oooh, sounds familiar, I bet that was it. And re-reading this I noticed I said "taste", I believe we just passed it around to smell, not taste. Whatever it was, I remember smelling it and wanting to take it home.

It was cardamom. Cardamom distills wonderfully.....

#39 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Cool. I love a hint of that in tea. Regretfully some tea makers use more than a hint.

I wonder what Stefano uses to give his absinthes that lovely spicy flavor.

#40 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Cardamom has a lot of potential in absinthe.

Or so I've heard.

Ted Breaux, as part of his initial "reverse engineering" investigation years ago, prepared numerous aliquots with individual herbal distillates. It makes good sense for a distiller of absinthe to do this, and it's an excellent way for others to acquaint themselves with specific herbal distillates, which can vary considerably from the organoleptic properties of the herbs themselves. In other words, snacking on herbs will not give you the same experience as tasting these distillates when it comes to evaluating said herbs in terms of absinthe.

#41 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,993 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

In other words, snacking on herbs will not give you the same experience as tasting these distillates when it comes to evaluating said herbs in terms of absinthe.

That's no lie. Which is what makes the individual distillates so valuable for anyone with a passion for absinthe.

#42 Ian Hutton

Ian Hutton

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

Just a thought, but how many of you guys have measuring cylinders, pipettes etc? As a chemist I kind of take such stuff for granted, but if we are going to release alcoholates in 20cl flasks people will need to make reasonably accurate measurements for blending purposes. Would it be useful if we included say a 100ml measuring cylinder in the kits?

#43 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

For me yes. I have been pondering getting one, just for louching, but for this task, good measurements do seem crucial.

#44 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

Would it be useful if we included say a 100ml measuring cylinder in the kits?

Just make sure to send Abs the 1000ml version.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#45 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,711 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

What is this ml of which you speak? :huh: :laugh:

Edited by Absomphe, 26 April 2012 - 06:23 AM.

#46 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

Quit stealing Ted's alembics.

#47 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,711 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

Quit steeling Ted's alembics.

I thought they were copper. B)

#48 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

Would it be useful if we included say a 100ml measuring cylinder in the kits?

Love this idea.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#49 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Just a thought, but how many of you guys have measuring cylinders, pipettes etc?

I have lab glass out the wazoo, but there's less fragility with a plastic syringe, the type used to measure out liquid medicine. They can be obtained at Walgreen's and the like. They're marked on the side in milliliters, up to ten or twenty, they're precise, they're cheap, etc. etc. But as a marketing gimmick product enhancement, what you suggest is :thumbup:

#50 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,728 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Some plastics can't handle high proof alcohol.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#51 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

And food grade plastic is called food grade for a reason.

Apart from that, hard liquor can be and is sold in plastic bottles.

http://www.nytimes.c...cer-threat.html

Edited by Artemis, 27 April 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#52 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

It should be ok for a quick measure and pour, meaning for this purpose it would be fine.

Considering many injectable medicines might be suspended in alcohol too.

Wouldn't use it for a 100 year storage mission so people can discover it in the 22nd century.

Edited by Miguel, 27 April 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#53 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

I'm not talking about medicines intended to be injected - these syringes don't come with a needle. They're used to squirt medicine into a child or animal's mouth. Visualize one of those injectors for "Cajun" seasoning of a turkey (absent the blunt needle). But a lot of medicines obviously contain alcohol, including absinthe.

#54 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

I need 30cc of verte STAT!
Posted Image

#55 Ian Hutton

Ian Hutton

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

Just a thought, but how many of you guys have measuring cylinders, pipettes etc?

I have lab glass out the wazoo, but there's less fragility with a plastic syringe, the type used to measure out liquid medicine. They can be obtained at Walgreen's and the like. They're marked on the side in milliliters, up to ten or twenty, they're precise, they're cheap, etc. etc. But as a marketing gimmick product enhancement, what you suggest is :thumbup:

The flasks that we use have narrow necks so you'd need to fit the syringe with a long needle to reach the bottom. Or you could pour the alcoholate out into another vessel and draw it up from that, but if you do that you might as well pour it into a measuring cylinder. Of course we could supply syringes and needles with the kits and see how that plays out in the media. :unsure:

#56 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

What we have is a failure to communicate.

Posted Image

If the "media" has ever made a stink about those, I haven't heard about it, but that's beside the point. I'm not suggesting an alternative way to present your product. I'm suggesting that people who want to measure precise doses of alcholates (or absinthe, for that matter) might want to try what's worked for me for ten years or more.

but if you do that you might as well pour it into a measuring cylinder

Not at all. Pouring the sample from the bottle into a coffee cop or whatever is at hand is a simple matter - it doesn't have to be a measuring cylinder. A glass measuring cylinder would obviously be a more elegant way to present your kit. But it would not be any more precise. In in fact it's less precise and less efficient - I ought to know, I've tried both methods and I wouldn't be recommending mine if it didn't work. You can hold the syringe right up to your eyes with no risk of spillage, it's easier to see the level of fluid against the graduation marks than it is on lab glass, and the small diameter of the syringe makes it ideal for small volumes (obviously, the greater the diameter of the cylinder, the harder it is to use for this purpose).

Edited by Artemis, 28 April 2012 - 05:20 AM.

#57 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

Despite my distaste for plastic of any sort coming into contact with my food or beverages (whether it's food-grade, BPA-free, or what have you), I have to agree that this seems like a good idea. It's handy, it's economical, and according to the Cool Hand Luke fan above ( :wave2: ), it's apparently accurate, so I think it would make a viable addition to the distillate kit.

#58 Ian Hutton

Ian Hutton

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:00 AM

If the "media" has ever made a stink about those, I haven't heard about it, but that's beside the point. I'm not suggesting an alternative way to present your product.

It was more about press reaction to anything that put 'alcohol' and 'syringe' into the same sentence. If you read the UK tabloids you'll know that we Brits are binge drinkers with substance abuse issues so we have to be extra careful in our marketing.

#59 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

Those baby/pet medicine syringes are easy to get. Why not just leave them out of your packaging so they're not associated with the product? You can also make suggestions on different methods of measuring without having to provide the devices yourself.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#60 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Again, I'm not suggesting that Ian should package those things. I think a glass cylinder is a great idea, and the more attractive it is the better. But even if I was to buy a kit, I see myself using those syringes in lieu of it or along with it. But then I have access to a drawer full of them of different sizes. Besides, they might as well be used when someone is feeling good (or with aspirations thereto) than when they're feeling sick.

Ian, I understand. My retort re the press was perhaps unnecessarily snarky, but my contempt is for them, not you. The lurid photo Jay posted is right in line with the predictable reaction to "drug paraphernalia" packaged with an already slandered product. I actually like the British press. Often I'll find that the most complete and entertaining piece online about an item of news that happened in the U.S. is on a British newspaper website.

It may be worth mentioning, although of course I realize you know this, that the herbal extracts should be of the best possible quality. A mixture containing an extract of Indian fennel is going to be haunted by that roadside fennel funk no matter what else goes into it. Obviously the extraction process is important as well. I wish you all the best with that venture.

and according to the Cool Hand Luke fan above

Any man playing grabass or fightin' in the building spends a night in the box!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association