Morgan

First Taste for Morgan

Well, I did it, I opened the Edouard. I touched a bit to my lips straight. WOW, strong. I mixed it 5:1. I got what looked like a perfect louche, judging from the pictures I've seen.

Now, I have to say, you lying bastards... I tripped ballz. :drunk:

Oh, ok not really. But even at 5:1, I can see how one would get OBLITERATED on a few of these if that was what one wished.

The flavour was lovely, but quite distinctive and took me a while to get used to. My wife didn't like it as much as I. I think it'll take me a little while to completely acquire the taste, but I'm pretty happy thus far. I don't think I could drink it straight without putting on a serious funny face. :harhar: Well, not quite like that.

So, I'm no longer a virgin. I have a buddy who's ordering some for new years and we're going to compare and contrast. Should be fun. Thanks for having this site, and thanks for all the contributions, they've been invaluable. :cheers:

Congrats

Unless you are used to anise flavored drinks, it will only get more tasty as you drink it. At first all I could really taste was anise and some underlying flavors but once you get used to it all sorts of flavour comes out.

Also experiment to find your preferred amount of water. In most I've tried you can adjust the flavour by the amount of water you use.

Yes, you can get obliterated :cheers: For me absinthe really hides its alcohol. I take a sip of 18%+ absinthe and it seems like it has the same amount of alcohol as a 9% wine. You can gulp them down and then all of a sudden it hits you... You're drunk.

That is a great thing about quality absinthe's;people can't believe how high the alcohol content is, because of it's smoothness. Like Ari said, try mixing it at 3:1 and/or 4:1. You'll probably taste more subtle flavors. Of course, if you are like me, you will only be able to identify a few of them correctly.

I'm finding that I just dilute enough to remove the alcoholic bite but still retain the bulk of the sweet foretaste. Don't rightly know if it's the ongoing evolution of my taste, or if I'm just building up tolerance. ;)

I do know that overdilution is not necessarily your friend for balance. There is definitely a sweet spot on the Eduourd.

I assume as my taste acclimates to the drink I'll be able to scale back the dilution. I mixed 4:1 and that wasn't quite what I wanted, so I moved to 5:1. By the end of the glass, I was quite a bit happier than I was at the beginning. I used 1 sugar and I don't think that was enough for my taste, but I've always put sugar in the more bitter things, like when I drink coffee, I use FIVE packets of sugar. Which is odd, because I don't drink most sugar drinks, like non-diet soda. I'm sure I'll evolve around. And I'm sure that the more "day to day" absinthes are going to be different than the Edouard. I like it, but I don't want to keep spending over $100 a bottle.

Neither do I. Last time I spent over $100, it was for a 25 ml. sample.

But can you get a bottle of Edouard to the US for less than $100 a bottle? it's 55 pounds, which is darn near 100, plus shipping. I suppose buying multiple bottles would help as well. I'll certainly be more willing in the future to buy multiple bottles, and once I get my friends hooked, er adicted, er interested, that'll be another positive.

Or, they only like it when it's your booze, at your house, and they didn't spend $100 a bottle on it.

One of those times it is a good thing not to have any friends that live nearby. :)

I have a lot of friends who are enthusiastically preparing to place orders themselves, and then we'll all get together and have a party. Yeah, I'm sure there are some who don't want to spend $100 a bottle. :) But really when you think about it, it's nowhere near like spending $100 on a bottle of wine, because of the dilution. There are 25 ounces in a 750ml bottle, so @ $100 a bottle, that's only $4 per drink, which most of us would be happy with in a bar, I'd think.

I second Slackjaw. Only one friend has tasted. The rest go "Yuck, I hate Ouzo"!

I have only been able to get 2 people that I know to order their own bottles, the rest as previously mentioned only enjoy it when it's mine. Though I suppose I can count myself lucky, Mrs. DenSetsu doesn't really like it, but yet has no problem with me ordering the bottles I need to make it through the months- well as long as she can go clothes shopping. :harhar:

That math has been done too many times before.

Besides,

that's not my point.

Would you mind enlightening me, in that case? You might note that I haven't been around long, and I'm not sure I want to read every thread ever posted just to try to get to your point. Or if you recall a thread where you point was put more verbosely than in this, a link would be great, or even a suggestion as to which words to do a search upon.

In the Articles secution Hiram has some price math and I've made a price math thread here before and I think other people have as well, the big problem is changing conversion and shipping rates invalidates the accuracy pretty quickly.

One thing you forgot is to adjust things so 1 glass of absinthe = 1 standard drink (In the US that's about 1.5oz of 40% alcohol or exactly 17.7ml* of pure ethanol). In that case Ed really makes around 30 standard drinks.

*Oddly if you round 1.5oz to 44.4ml, a 40% drink gives you 17.76ml of alcohol. More proof the founding fathers want us to drink alcohol. :drunk:

I tend to think in terms of practical reality rather than some mathematical average. If 750ml is 25 ounces, and my absinthe glass has a 1 ounce line, I'm going to tend to make 1 ounce servings. Therefore, I'm likely to get 25 servings out of it, and not worry about the fact that my 25 servings are slightly more alcoholic than some strange average. :)

Thanks for the tip on the article, it was enlightening. Additionally, it's kind of nice to just have the names of the top absinthes in one place in red. Easier than perusing a bunch of articles. What a great resource!

But I was curious about what his OTHER point was, since "the math" was not the point.

Yeek! (About the other spoon comment).

You don't use sugar, which is cool... how slowly do you add water? Do you not stir it after the water is added or just use something less ornate than an absinthe spoon?