• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

Just received an email (which I'm sure many of you have also received) from LdF about barrel-aged Enigma, ready for the Christmas season. I've tried to find any reviews or comments about the brand on the WS site with no luck. Does anyone have any opinion of the brand? If you've tried it, can you compare it to a brand I might know? Is this barrel-aging thing a gimmick?

Editor's note: 

Review Page Added.

Edited by Brian Robinson, 03 July 2013 - 06:39 PM.
added link to review page for convenience

"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#2 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

It used to be called Verte de Fougerolles. I guess no one has reviewed it under the new name yet.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#3 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,024 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

VDF (now Enigma) is absolutely one of my favorite absinthe's. I'm not to crazy about the new name though.
"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#4 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,714 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

What Derrick wrote. I haven't bought a bottle since the name change. Supposedly the recipe is exactly the same.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#5 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

Thanks, sounds promising. I read something about it being unfiltered; maybe the new stuff is filtered? I wonder if I can pick up a bottle in London.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#6 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,024 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

You can get VDF (Enigma) at the Soho Wine Supply, 18 Percy Street, London, W1T 1DX. Have fun! :cheers:

Edited by Derrick, 03 April 2012 - 09:19 AM.

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#7 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

Only thing i remember about vdf was that it was very bitter.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#8 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Surprised that no one has posted a review of this yet.  So, here ya go. :)

Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#9 Mork

Mork

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Funny you should post this today, Fedex delivered my second bottle this morning, and it's been two years since last time.

I don't know if they've changed it since then, but unless my memory is failing me this is much better.

I remember ordering it as a Verte de Fougerolles, and being dissapointed at the namechange when it arrived at my door.
That annoyed me a bit, I think the name is just a few steps away from calling it "Mysterius Absinthe" or something like that. 
Anyways I remember thinking it was good value for the money and tasting it now I'm glad I bought it again:)

#10 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

There are TWO Enigmas now; one is from France, Devoille (the one who is known for it) and Matter's version (Swtizerland), with the same name.

If you're ordering from LDF, it's good to be certain you know which you are hoping for!  I still have some VDF, and have compared it with two

bottles of the Enigma from the same distiller.  I find the Enigma slightly stronger in star anise than the VDF.  If it is the same recipe, perhaps it's

either the aging of the VDF, or subtle differences in herbs and batches.  I like the stuff though.  For me, if I don't water it just right, the base is overpowering.

The right amount of water makes it very good however.  It holds up well at higher dilutions, where it opens nicely.  I wouldn't even think of using sugar with Enigma...it's plenty sweet to begin with.  Also, the two bottles of VDF I've had were certainly never bitter at all... Perhaps Greytail's experience was from a bottle that had some issues.

#11 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

The VDF I had was a bottle I bought in 2005. The bitterness came more in the lingering after taste. It was not my bottle either. At that time, I seem to recall a few other opinions on the bitterness. It would take some digging through old threads over on FV.

Edited by greytail, 04 July 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#12 Mork

Mork

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Yea, I got a bit confused when googling around just now. Both of the ones I've had is the regular one though, the Devoille called Enigma - verte de Fougerolles.

To me there seems to be a noticeable improvement, more of the grape-alcohol is prominent. Reminds me a bit of the same "off" taste that some people find annoying with the PF 1901, but I love it. (Not to compare the two, to me the 1901 is in a whole other division).

But then again, it's been two years and I only had one bottle, so who knows if I'm remembering it correctly.

#13 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Yeah, and don't forget. What once was does not mean it is the same today. I can not comment on Enigma as it is today. In fact, I would love to try it again.

#14 Mork

Mork

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

That is true. 

Also: Do it:)

(If you lived in Norway I could send you a sample, but that's probably not likely?. Unless you mean Valhalla literally?)

Edited by Mork, 04 July 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#15 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

Apparently they changed the name because non-french speaking folk couldnt pronounce Verte de Fougerolles.

I mean how many people can pronounce Devoille correctly :euro:

I reckon its just marketing- doesnt take long to find the marketing names - Lucid, Enigma, Mystique.. I am for one of preference of Belle Epoque inspired traditional labels

#16 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

Here's a question for those of you who've had the previous incarnation of Enigma, VDF. I bought a bottle October 2011 in Pontarlier, and thought it was quite good. It's clearly at least several years old, and is 3/4 gone now. Something has gone horribly wrong; a prevailing taste of mildew or mold, which cannot be erased with sugar, dilution, prayer, or voodoo, has occurred in this bottle. It is frankly, undrinkable. As a fan of Devoille, I am surprised. Has this happened to anyone else here? I'm thinking of letting it sit for half a year or so to see if it self-corrects, as an experiment.

Edited by Scott M., 11 November 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#17 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,555 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

A similar thing happened to one of my bottles of "Fudgie Rolls" :), six or seven years ago, although, that was a singular occurrence.

At the time, I chalked it up to being a quirk related to that bottle coming from the first run of the "new" unfiltered version, but that was only a hunch, and it was probably incorrect.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#18 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

Hmmm... two or three year unopened bottle lying around here. :g:

#19 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,714 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

I finally opened the last bottle I bought (in late 2008) about a year ago.  It didn't have any mildew or mold flavor.  Actually, the flavor seemed to have matured rather nicely.  I've slowly nipped at that bottle since and no such mold or mildew flavor is there.  I'm sure our climate is drier though.  Have you swapped out the cork?  Maybe try running it through a brita water filter.  If it's currently undrinkable, you wouldn't have anything more to lose.  Oak chips from a homebrew shop might be able to modify the flavor in a way that's beneficial.  

#20 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,943 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:12 AM

Mold or mildew is not going to develop in 68% booze.  The booze could eat your cork but nothing moldish is going to start growing in that environment.  It has got to be something else.

#21 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

Although I've never seen it, I understand that TCA can affect booze just like it does wine. It's not mold or mildew, but it displays very similar aromas and flavors.

#22 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

Thanks guys... yes I know it can't be mold, but man, it sure tastes like it!  Outside of the brief flight in my luggage, I doubt it was exposed to the cork.  It was in Philippe Chapon's shop in Pontarlier, stored correctly, as it has been here, since I brought it home.  I suspect it is something with this batch. After paying close attention, I believe it is something with the base... those of you who've had this know that this absinthe has a particularly powerful grape base, that to some, can be overwhelming. The mildewy notes seem to be circling around the edges of this base.   It's odd, as I've had other bottles that this never happened to, and the Enigma has never behaved this way.  I'm swapping the cork, though it seems fine, but It could be the culprit.  Perhaps some time....

#23 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,943 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for that information, fpb.

And good luck with that bottle Scott.

:cheers:

#24 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,714 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

Although I've never seen it, I understand that TCA can affect booze just like it does wine. It's not mold or mildew, but it displays very similar aromas and flavors.

The worst bottle of Jade 1901 I ever had was due to that, and my own clumsiness.  The very last glass of the bottle had a decent sized chunk of cork in it.  I'd be surprised if this was the case for Scott's bottle though, since every bottle I ever had from them used a t-cork.

Edited by baubel, 12 November 2013 - 09:25 PM.

#25 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

It might be interesting to try the plastic-wrap (polyethylene ) 'fix' for TCA mentioned in the wiki article FPB posted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association