40 replies to this topic

#1 Junkaboy

Junkaboy

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

Hello everyone.

I am a craft brewer from South America, and in the past year and a half I have been devoting a great amount of time into studying the craft of distilling. I really enjoy making and tasting fine drinks.

My first contact with Absinthe was in Spain, about 8 years ago. But after that I didn't have much contact with the drink since its not easily available where I live.

I found this board and have been reading up for quite a while, and now I think its a good time to register and introduce myself.

I have plans to be in the US next June, and right now I am trying to figure out a way for me to get to Montana and meet you guys at the festival.

Glad to be here.

Junka
So I'll continue to drink really good coffee, excellent booze and use profanity in the most inappropriate places not only for my own character development but for the good of the world at large. It is the least I can do for humanity.
- Joe Legate

#2 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

Hello and welcome to the WS! :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#3 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

I am trying to figure out a way for me to get to Montana and meet you guys at the festival

That would be excellent!

Welcome to the Forum. :cheers:

#4 Junkaboy

Junkaboy

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

I am trying to figure out a way for me to get to Montana and meet you guys at the festival

That would be excellent!

Welcome to the Forum. :cheers:

So far its looking viable. The date coincides perfectly.
I have checked with the resort and they still have rooms available.
Only problem so far is that I have classes in Chicago on monday morning, and the best I found so far would only get me there at 1am on monday, which would be hard (but not impossible).

I am also expecting a reply from Gwydion Stone about the details on how to enter the competition and what are the rules / guidelines for it, so that I can figure out the last details and see if I can really attend the festival. I would really love to hear what the connoisseurs have to say about my Absinthe, just as much as I want to sample the many ones that will be available.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
So I'll continue to drink really good coffee, excellent booze and use profanity in the most inappropriate places not only for my own character development but for the good of the world at large. It is the least I can do for humanity.
- Joe Legate

#5 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,666 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

Greetings! :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#6 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

Hello and welcome! :cheers:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#7 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

Welcome to the WS! :cheers:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#8 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,034 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

Welcome to the forum Junka! :cheers:
"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#9 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

You could definitely learn a thing or two from the people you are likely to meet. Some distillers, and some very knowledgable on the history of the drink, but ancient and recent.

Where in South America?

#10 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

Hedonistic, wise-ass brat.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

:cheers:

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#11 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Howdy. Good to meet another 'southerner' on here.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#12 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

Welcome! :cheers:

#13 Junkaboy

Junkaboy

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

You could definitely learn a thing or two from the people you are likely to meet. Some distillers, and some very knowledgable on the history of the drink, but ancient and recent.

Where in South America?

I am from the southern part of Brazil.

I am pretty sure this trip would be very worth while. Not only to meet all the great people, but also to be part of the festival's first edition.
- Joe Legate

#14 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,723 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Howdy Podner. :cheers:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#15 Junkaboy

Junkaboy

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Btw, I just uploaded a pic of my "babies" to my avatar.
Those are my smoked malt whiskey, my hop gin in the middle and my first absinthe to the right
- Joe Legate

#16 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Welcome! Would love to taste your absinthe... and to meet you! I'm planning a trip to Argentina and Chile next winter. Are you saying absinthe is not readily available in SA? Or just in Brazil?
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#17 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

Greetings! :cheers:
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#18 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Welcome! :cheers:

#19 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Welcome! I hope we can meet you in Montana.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#20 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Importing anything to Brazil is not easy. The good news is that it has the industrial base to make a lot of things. It would be nice for quality absinthe to become popular there. Regretfully in Argentina, the crapsinthe makers have been busy. Shame because they have the ingredients to make the good stuff.
All I know of Brazil are the airports in SP, RJ, Vitoria, and some platforms in the Atlantic. I did get a quick half day tour of RJ, just enough to buy a verde-amarela shirt in Barra, a bottle of cachaça, and to see the fabled Maracana.

#21 brucea

brucea

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Welcome!

#22 Junkaboy

Junkaboy

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Welcome! Would love to taste your absinthe... and to meet you! I'm planning a trip to Argentina and Chile next winter. Are you saying absinthe is not readily available in SA? Or just in Brazil?

Absinthe is not popular, and is only viewed as the most intoxicating drink possible.
Everyone thinks it should be drank straight, and the feel who don't, will probably set it on fire...

99% of the times I offer absinthe to someone here, they say:
"Oh no, wont be drinking that again... it was the worse hangover I ever had"

After I tell them the myths and truths, they sample it the right way, and fall in love.
- Joe Legate

#23 Junkaboy

Junkaboy

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Importing anything to Brazil is not easy. The good news is that it has the industrial base to make a lot of things. It would be nice for quality absinthe to become popular there. Regretfully in Argentina, the crapsinthe makers have been busy. Shame because they have the ingredients to make the good stuff.
All I know of Brazil are the airports in SP, RJ, Vitoria, and some platforms in the Atlantic. I did get a quick half day tour of RJ, just enough to buy a verde-amarela shirt in Barra, a bottle of cachaça, and to see the fabled Maracana.

Yeah, importing goods into Brazil is not an easy task. Since absinthe is not famous here, importers don't even bother...

So its up to us, loving enthusiasts, to save the day and bring light and truth to those who wish to know more, but have been neglected the chance.

So far I have been succesfull with that, everyone that has tasted my absinthe said it completely changed their view about the drink. Even my mother said she loved it (and she rarely ever sips anything at all).

For me this task of shedding light into "obscure" subjects is not new, as I mentioned before I am a craft brewer, and our daily routine is to teach people about the difference between what we do, and what the big guys do.
- Joe Legate

#24 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Welcome. :wave2:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#25 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Welcome aboard! :cheers: :wave2:
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#26 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

I've heard about a big difference in cachaca between industrial and artisan distillers.

#27 Junkaboy

Junkaboy

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

I've heard about a big difference in cachaca between industrial and artisan distillers.

There is a HUGE difference...

Just as big as this versus this

This is the most renowed brazilian cachaça.
For the price of a bottle of that, you could probably buy a couple hundred bottles of this crap, for example.

But the good thing is that not all great cachaças are expensive, in fact, many of the good ones that I enjoy making caipirinha with cost somewhere between 1/5 - 1/3 of the price of a Jhonny Walker Red Label, for example...

Seems like I will be packing heavy for the trip to the festival /wink
- Joe Legate

#28 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Nice avatar. Welcome :cheers:
I am the wood nymph.

#29 distill my beating heart

distill my beating heart

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

Greetings and Welcome! :cheers:
If we make it, we can sit back and relax...

#30 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

But the good thing is that not all great cachaças are expensive, in fact, many of the good ones that I enjoy making caipirinha with cost somewhere between 1/5 - 1/3 of the price of a Jhonny Walker Red Label, for example...

These are the brands available to me locally: Boca Loca, Cuca Fresca Aged Gold, Leblon, and Pirissununga. Can you comment on them (I love a good caipirinha)? Don't be shy about saying they all suck, as my local liquor stores are pathetic when it comes to many things. Since I buy absinthe online, I can always add cachaca to my online purchases.

Edited by crow, 04 April 2012 - 07:48 AM.

"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association