Two quick questions...

I'm off to Paris on Thurs; does anyone have recommendations for shops selling absinthe?

I understand Vert d'Absinthe in the Marsais would be worth a visit. Any other place worth paying a visit?

I'm thinking of picking up one of the Jades (thus the posting on this thread); does anyone have preferences as to Edouard, Nouvelle Orleans, 1901 or any other French absinthe for that matter (fully understanding that taste is subjective) ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions...

The Jade NO is my least favorite of the Jades. I'd pick one of the other three. Which one? That just depends on my mood. I'm not sure what I'd pick from all available French brands as I've been unable to keep up with all the new brands that keep coming out.

Edited by Phoenix

I love Jade NO as a cocktail/mixing absinthe. Anything that calls for an absinthe rinse, or dashes of absinthe, I will use Jade NO. It has a big anise flavor, almost licorice-like, and its great for when a recipe calls for absinthe/pastis/herbsaint

Two quick questions...

I'm off to Paris on Thurs; does anyone have recommendations for shops selling absinthe?

I understand Vert d'Absinthe in the Marsais would be worth a visit. Any other place worth paying a visit?

I'm thinking of picking up one of the Jades (thus the posting on this thread); does anyone have preferences as to Edouard, Nouvelle Orleans, 1901 or any other French absinthe for that matter (fully understanding that taste is subjective) ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions...

Send our Parisian members a pm. Clement, Pierre Verte, & Maximiliano should be able to point you in the right direction.

I'll agree with Absomphe, yet again. I need help!

I like all the Jades at one time or another.

The Emile pernot has some very nice booze.

I like the 1901 the best of what I have tried (haven't had a crack at the CF). The Eddy at first seemed like a loud relative of Pacifique, but it grew on me. Actually a 50/50 mix of Pacifque and Eddy worked out awesome. The NO is good stuff, and I bet it would be great to cook with. Antoines would get me as a customer if they switched from substitute to NO in their oysters rockefeller.

I don't know what they use, but the new Herbsaint (restored to the original recipe) was the inspiration for NO. Presuming Oysters Rockefeller calls for Herbsaint (I've seen recipes that do), just using the new stuff should make it taste exactly how it's supposed to taste.

I don't know what they use, but the new Herbsaint (restored to the original recipe) was the inspiration for NO. Presuming Oysters Rockefeller calls for Herbsaint (I've seen recipes that do), just using the new stuff should make it taste exactly how it's supposed to taste.

Before Herbsaint, I bet they used an absinthe, and that J. Marion Legendre tried to re-create the orginal french substitute, pastis. NO just completes the circle of life thing. :)

I read about Legendre after Googling Herbsaint, which brought me to a blog by some herbsaint historian, which had a link to a story he wrote on another website, where he posted the history of Herbsaint as narrated by J. Marion himself.

Edited by Miguel

I didn't realize Oysters Rockefeller was older than Herbsaint. My bad.

some herbsaint historian

There's more than one?

Edouard or Nouvelle Orleans. NO is available in the states right now so I'd probably go with the Eddy since I can get NO whenever my pocketbook and I feel up to it.

As others have pointed out Emile Pernot has some good stuff worth checking out as well if you are over there.

Caves du Roy, 31 rue Simart - 18th arrondissement Tel. 33 (0)1 42 59 12 10

Metro 12 exit: Jules Joffrin

If you can get a reservation, the restaurant across the street will serve you an absinthe (usually they have Vieux Pontarlier, Verte du Fougerolles, Angelique, Clandestine) with a see-saw dripper:

La Table d'Eugene, 18 rue Eugène Sue 18th /Tel. 33 (0)1 42 55 61 64 (I suggest for lunch, same menu as dinner)

LMDW Fine Spirits - 6 Carrefour de l'Odeon - 6th arronissement - Tel. 33 (0)1 46 34 70 20

Metro 4 exit: Odeon

From here you can walk down Blvd. Saint Germain, right on rue Bonaparte, to Rue des Beaux Arts to number 13 - L'Hotel. After 4 PM, Carlos is usually at The Bar and you can get an Edouard or an amazing cocktail.

Don't bother looking in a Nicolas or most any other wine shop...

But it took less steps than tracking down the Imp's profile.

Unless said Imp posts on the same thread. :laugh:

That extract looks better suitted to flavor a turkey, than oysters.

Edited by Miguel

I didn't realize Oysters Rockefeller was older than Herbsaint. My bad.

some herbsaint historian

There's more than one?

The older Gentleman next to the Big Galoot in the center, would be the first historian.

The Lady at the right of the line up knows a good bit about the man that made Herbsaint up in the attic of their family home, she called him "Dad".

LegendreParty.jpg

Caves du Roy, 31 rue Simart - 18th arrondissement Tel. 33 (0)1 42 59 12 10

Metro 12 exit: Jules Joffrin

If you can get a reservation, the restaurant across the street will serve you an absinthe (usually they have Vieux Pontarlier, Verte du Fougerolles, Angelique, Clandestine) with a see-saw dripper:

La Table d'Eugene, 18 rue Eugène Sue 18th /Tel. 33 (0)1 42 55 61 64 (I suggest for lunch, same menu as dinner)

LMDW Fine Spirits - 6 Carrefour de l'Odeon - 6th arronissement - Tel. 33 (0)1 46 34 70 20

Metro 4 exit: Odeon

From here you can walk down Blvd. Saint Germain, right on rue Bonaparte, to Rue des Beaux Arts to number 13 - L'Hotel. After 4 PM, Carlos is usually at The Bar and you can get an Edouard or an amazing cocktail.

Don't bother looking in a Nicolas or most any other wine shop...

Merci de m'en avoir informé. Cela m'aide beaucoup.

The older Gentleman next to the Big Galoot in the center, would be the first historian.

That's the second time today I've been wrong. I thought that old fart was dead.

The one in the center, I mean. ;)

They're OK. ;)

Thankfully today many other offerings are OK. But the three Jades I've tried have been superior quality and tasty absinthes.

I highly recommend shooting the shit with their maker, well mostly listening.

I highly recommend shooting the shit with their maker, well mostly listening.

When we hire new employees and I put them out in the field with seasoned men, I remind them that they have two ears, two eyes and one mouth. Try to use them in that ratio.

I hope that makes sense and doesn't make me seem like a terrible prick. If it does.......it's too late.

Too polite for me. I'd tell them to keep their eyes and ears open, and to shut their pie hole. Same goes for serious military training.

Edited by Miguel