• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Kjetil Kverndokken

Kjetil Kverndokken

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

I'm sure Abs is about twice the age of George.

Mead is pretty easy to make. One can use champagne yeast that can tolerate 14-16% and still build it so that it's pretty sweet, if one desires. I've seen lots of ceramic bottles at antique stores, and I kind of remember some people on one of the homebrewing forums talk about using them for bottling their homebrew.

Since its legal to make anything under 60% in Norway - I have actually considered giving it a go :-).

If anybody else have a nice mead they want to show, go ahead :)
Tea and Madness

#32 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

This thread becoming active again is making me impatient for my first batch to mature. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out. I did however cheat and add Palisade Peaches...

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#33 A Bearded Man

A Bearded Man

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

ratebeer, alot of the comments, it seems like people think its a beer and comment like it. A few peole have a problem with the sweet flavor though. But I love it.

I'm reading the sticker on Yggdrasil, its nontraditional mead, made for those that do not like it as sweet, also its alcohol level is weaker, 10%, mead is best at 14-16% because of the honey.
I cant say for certain without tasting it, but I have a feeling Valahalle Mjd is more "hardcore" mead ;)

I do remember it wasn't as sweet as other meads I've tried, but it had a nice complex flavor. I'd love to try that Valhalla Mjod. Thanks everyone for finding it. I was beginning to think I imagined it.
"Universality is disgusting"--Jim Harrison

#34 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Mebbe we should make another batch sometime soon. :fork:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#35 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

This meadery in Hawaii looks interesting with tropical fruits and macadamia honey.

Looks more 'Freyja' than 'Odin'. :tongue:
http://www.nanimoonmead.com/

#36 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

This thread becoming active again is making me impatient for my first batch to mature. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out. I did however cheat and add Palisade Peaches...

I've only done two batches of mead but I really need to get started on some more. One author suggested doing lots of small batches. I kind of like that approach.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#37 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

I did however cheat and add Palisade Peaches...

:dribble: It will be worth the wait!

#38 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

I have a couple of 3 gallon carboys that I use for mead. 1 gallon bottles sort of seem like a good idea, but I just can't get into all of the cleaning/sanitizing/etc. just to do 1 gallon.

#39 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:06 AM

I agree about the cleaning/sanitizing/etc being a pain. I frequently brew 1 gallon experiments and it gets to be a lot of work. It sure is fun, though! :)
There have only been a couple of commercial meads that I have tried. J.Bird Winery makes some decent stuff near me. They are a lower abv mead, but tasty. His Egypt'n Mead that is made with hibiscus is really nice.

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#40 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,172 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

I build 5 gallons at a time. I use one gallon jugs for experiments also. Sometimes it seems like I short myself. :devil:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association