meatbag21

Pernod Absinthe Supérieure

Do you think they would read the comments on this forum and change the views because of the negative comments they have got?

Pernod wouldn't care. The public will. As a consumer advocacy and review organization our aim is in favor of consumers. I never expect a producer to change but I do expect the market to change, especially with factual education. That is why we write and are vocal about these things.

I'm not paid by Pernod so I don't write for them. In fact I get paid nothing for my writing by anyone so really I'm looking to keep bad absinthe off the shelves and good absinthe available. For me, I can boil it down to a very "psychological egoism" point of altruism serving the self, and I am a consumer of absinthe.

All I know is perhaps Im doing something by ignoring their product.

Exactly.

Well if the intent is to muscle out the competitors that make real absinthe then I even more wholly oppose that. Up to this point I was under the impression that they were more concerned with peddling untruths and making inferior absinthe and selling as genuine.

But if Stefano is saying that his produce might be compromised by Pernod buying out the Ww in Pont then thats a different story as Im a consumer of Zufanek absinthes. I would sincerely hope that there is a solution for the smaller distillers to keep on producing high quality absinthes amidst the bullying tactics of Pernod.

I didn't say that it would compromise my product. I just said that it's very annoying and disappointing to see even small farmers not honoring their word when faced with a little money. We were still able to purchase a few kilos elsewhere so don't worry, we might be small but we don't go down easily.

[...] I wouldn't be surprised if what they've done is distilling a blanche and then adding some nettle concentrate for color. Kind of like trying to make an absinthe authentic, in the cheapest way possible.

Like just about anyone would if moonshining in the easiest possible way and just wanted to give the blanche a green color or tint. Nettles, or maybe preferably spinach, it would be (then)!

That really wouldn't make sense, not that that ever stopped anyone. Melissa grows like crazy anywhere and has denser foliage than nettles (therefore more chlorophyll per square-meter), and a more pleasing traditional aroma and flavor.

The only likely thing that makes sense of it is that they use an industry natural coloring made from nettles, like that available from the fine folks at univarcolour.com.

Screen shot 2013-12-08 at 1.11.06 PM.png

That's what I meant when I mentioned a nettle concentrate, it would be really ridiculous if they used nettle leaves instead of melissa just to steep them in the distillate... Although, like you said, I would not be too surprised.

I haven't done a lot of experiments with nettles, as a matter of fact fact just one, but I was under the impression that the color might be a bit more stable than with melissa, so if it were true (and again big if since I don't have enough data) it might explain the choice of nettle.

How to fix Pernod in 3 easy steps:

1) Hire people from Pernot.

2) Put one of their recipes into a Pernod bottle.

3) Put that bottle in every liquor store you can.