meatbag21

Pernod Absinthe Supérieure

I, like most everyone here, reserve judgment. That report reads like a hired hack job. There may not be money involved but there's obviously some ego stroking. I look forward to tasting it but I won't pay for a full bottle. Unless they offer miniatures I think I'll wait for someone else to front the money and post an unbiased review.

An Elemental Mixology alumna is now brand ambassador for Pernod

Absinthe. When she first took that position, I told her that she should

instruct Pernod-Ricard to restore the pre-ban formula Pernod Fils

absinthe and drop their then-current ‘inspired by the original’ stuff.

In fact, the undesirable stuff is still current – in a sense. I still

see bottles of it waiting in vain on liquor store shelves. My alumna

told me that she had been told that that is exactly what they had

planned

Well, what a plan that is.

Not really what I was meaning, but thanks.

I meant that "I" would find it quite difficult to judge this "original recipe" objectively based upon all the previous notions in my head about both the name and history of pernod rIcard. That is all. Here is to hoping we all will be wrong.

Edited by greytail

I'm willing to give it a try if it will be available in little 1 oz shooters.(cheap bastid) For those who are willing to spring for a 750,I sure hope the new label is distinctly different from the old one so that no mistaken purchases are made.

I'm more than a tad skeptical, but even assuming that were true, there are myriad ways to screw up a recipe.

Not to mention the lack of original equipment, including the oak barrels, and the various and sundry nineteenth century cultivars.

Edited by Absomphe

Let's not forget that these corporate bullies are also either currently suing, of threatening to, Emile Pernot, to make them drop "Pernot." This is a historic distillery, and they have every right to use it. Screw Pernod Ricard.

Meh. I'd rather eat a bowl of dicks than give this abortion of an absinthe a try.

Step 1: Usurp history and claim lineage
Step 2: Produce a bare minimum absinthe
Step 3: ...
Step 4: Profit!!
Pernod have a pretty bad track record when it comes to the truthiness in their absinthe marketing and PR. It's nothing new. They've made these claims forever. What I love is that this time they're essentially admitting having previously lied to everyone, but asking us to believe them again this time. "Alright, alright, alright dudes. I know in the past, we have used - quite generously - the terms 'original' and 'authentic' to describe our absinthe attempts, and while that may not have been true previously, we're here to tell you our new new Pernod is original and authentic. Except for the parts that aren't. Take me back, baby?"
Disingenuous shitdicks.

Meh. I'd rather eat a bowl of dicks than give this abortion of an absinthe a try.

Disingenuous shitdicks.

Soooo........what are you tryin' ta' say? :puke:

It only seemed to me as exaggerated as any website/magazine review of a comp'ed, relatively expensive, subjective product. These companies send this stuff to those review establishments *for* positive feedback; like how cigar and wine magazines work. The products are rated favorably and in terms of objective quality they aren't bad at all, they just don't compare well in their chosen price range.

My problem with it is that he reviewed it after only mentioning trying a little bit neat....

I'm assuming you're talking about this. There's more to the history with this writer. Check out this and this. As far as this thread goes, maybe back up a couple of pages and read again to understand the last few comments.

My problem is that he didn't really "review" it at all. He just recommended it, and in part by using the same kind of flawed logic used multiple times in his other recent absinthe post, previously mentioned. My problem with Pernod is that they are "reviewing" their own work.

Gotta say - including those herb packets is a great idea.

Wish some retailer sold the herb samples like this - would really help people identify the various flavors in a particular absinthe.

I have to stop reading these things. My blood pressure is through the roof.

So, I see "Petit Absinthe" aka "Pontique Wormwood" (which may or may not be Artemisia pontica but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt) in the kit, but I don't see anywhere in their new literature that states that they're actually using it. For jeebus' sake I hope so, because they're within 700km of the largest sources of really good pontica in the world.

Screen shot 2013-10-25 at 1.31.13 PM.png

%2

Addendum: I just want to clarify why this issue is such a sensitive one for me and why it drives me up a wall the way it does. The crux of my gall is this:

I bust my balls to do what I do, with relatively little business experience and no cash reserves. I don't even own a fucking vehicle. I'm a company of ONE. I can make a truly authentic, exemplary, and moderately-profitable absinthe at a scale of less than 100 cases a year, why can't they? Why won't they?

Pernod-Ricard—a corporate giant—squanders virtually unlimited resources and produces a nominal absinthe, at best, and prints misleading and false PR and they don't even have to! No one is more poised to truly bring back that brand, that product, in all its original glory, and yet...?

It's driving me crazy; it's driving me nuts.

I would imagine so. It will also be interesting to see how this affects other distillers over seas as PR bought up all the pontarlier AA.

So, they bought it all up and are not even using it? Or are they using a small fraction of it combined with a cheaper WW? I had a discussion about this with a good friend recently.

Addendum: I just want to clarify why this issue is such a sensitive one for me and why it drives me up a wall the way it does.

Well - you can take some comfort that they won't be seeing any $$$ from me in any case. I'd imagine that statement probably holds true for just about everyone here.

I'd rather buy Marteau any day! :cheerz:

I only wish someone at P-R could help make sense of this. I mean beside the usual MegaCorp Big Booze Biz reasons.

From what I was just told, the rep believes that Pernod has been cultivating its own fields for the past couple of years and using that wormwood. That's probably why it doesn't taste like the Ponty we know.