meatbag21

Pernod Absinthe Supérieure

I heard it was F. Guy who was to make this for them, so it would have been far better than the stuff they have now.

Which (in that case) wouldn't be saying much.

How hard would it be to get a bottle of Pacifique to the beaches of Occitania?

Edited by Père Ubu

Pernod-Ricard seem to 're-discover' absinthe every 10 years. Remember the reboot of Oxygenee around 2000? We had an apparently illegal product being sold at an obscure caviste in France before the ban was lifted, with absinthe prominently on the label, and the with 'Cusenier - Distillateur depuis 1857' as the manufacturer. Nothing on the label to say it was a Pernod product and when contacted they denied knowledge of it. However the address on the back of the bottle was Pernod's Paris HQ...

So they really are conflicted about absinthe and I think that this flirtation with the green fairy will go the same way as previous efforts, shot down in the boardroom. After all when you have the second largest drinks conglomerate in the world you don't really need to spend money pimping your product when your distribution muscle will get it into pretty much any bar you want.

Edited by Ian Hutton

It's even funnier that the rebooted Oxygenee was better than the product Pernod eventually put their name on.

That people in France have to look to America for what Pernod is or isn't doing helps to illustrate the sea change that has taken place when it comes to absinthe.
Every now and again I wish we had a "like" button. I guess this'll do: :thumbup:

Plainly put, it's an admission of guilt. Or at the very least, an admission of being nearly authentique. That would be a hoot to see on a label!

Absinthe Près Authentique! It could happen.

You would think the very fact that you are the owner of the most famous name in absinthe would force you to have the integrity to produce a top notch product.Perhaps call it "Pernod Grande Absinthe Reserve", "Authentique" or something along those lines.Profit margins/greed could still be maintained by continuing to produce their current schwag as well.But I guess I'm preaching to the choir.

Edited by redwun

You would think the very fact that you are the owner of the most famous name in absinthe would force you to have the integrity to produce a top notch product.Perhaps call it "Pernod Grande Absinthe Reserve", "Authentique" or something along those lines.Profit margins/greed could still be maintained by continuing to produce their current schwag as well.But I guess I'm preaching to the choir.

Really! I mean what happened; did they lose their original pre-ban recipe?

No, just the pride and the morals. Anywho, the current corporation simply owns the name, and they are trying to cash in on it in the most profitable, and less risky, way.

Really! I mean what happened; did they lose their original pre-ban recipe?

yes They could ,but the thing with absinthe recipe is that they were written by absinthe distiller . On the one that I have seen there not indication to how long the coloration time at what temperature . The kind of fennel ( there 3-4 varieties of provence fennel) .

The wine base they were using ( since grower from france could have change their cépages) also how the wine was distill .

There is so much variation that you could do just with the ingredients .

Even best absinthe distillers are still learning ...

Edited by EdouardPerneau

Hey,it wouldn't have to be a dead nuts exact replica,just somewhere in the ballpark.I would think that if the original company was still in existence,they probably would have made some adjustments and improvements during all these years anyway.(doesn't everyone with any concern for the quality of their product)? The way I see it,If Ted can do it,so can the Pernod corporation.

I think the point is that they don't have to. They make tons of money now from not doing that...why fix what's already rolling in the dough?

I wonder what would happen if they made a decent absinthe and then marketed and promoted it heavily in the US? I wonder if absinthe could regain its former glory. I suppose it did take something like 60 years for absinthe to start becoming mainstream.

The way I see it,If Ted can do it,so can the Pernod corporation.

That's not the issue. The issue is that Ted's business model is not remotely like theirs. Ted is passionate about absinthe. Mega corporations are passionate about profit for themselves and their shareholders.

I think the point is that they don't have to.

Exactly.

I know it doesn't, but I would like to see absinthe's popularity increase. I want to go to a random bar and not worry about the drink selection.

:hysterical2: Don't hold your breathe ... I'd like to walk into a random bar and see a decent selection of anything besides infused vodka.

Most bars where I live now (Philly) all have good beer and most have good whiskey. Best absinthe I found here so far is Lucid. Mostly, it's Pernod Pastis.

The fact that they were marketing this "reformulation" of absinthe in the early 2000's before the resurgence of historically-authentic commercial absinthe in the U.S. is no excuse for their low standards; if anything, Pernod should have led the charge for the re-introduction of quality absinthe in modern times. The fact that they failed to do so, and instead counted on the fact that no one would notice (presumably since Czechsinthes had lowered the bar and expectations so much in the 1990s) says as much about the agenda of the modern Pernod organization as anyone really needs to know. There's nothing unfair about that conclusion.

I agree. The name brand has been very badly damaged IMHO. Considering their reputation in the old days, they had the perfect launch point for dominating the modern market with a quality product and chucked it all.

Edited by PerfesserCoffee

Not disclosing is one thing. But Pernod takes it FAR beyond that by misrepresenting their current offering as something that resembles their old recipe.

Looks like their marketing company is now misrepresenting a famous artist as responsible for someone else's painting. Click on the link in their tweet to see a masterpiece by "Manet."

:huh: