meatbag21

Pernod Absinthe Supérieure

Hey, hey now. Pernod still makes BDJ, Doubs, La Maison, among others. Yeah, the Pernod branded bottle has considerably less esteem than it did 100+ years ago, but they still make some good stuff. I honestly wouldn't care if they just started making 100% pure crapsinthe with 100% pure alcohol in it as long as they don't mess with their better bottles.

That said, I suppose artificially colored absinthe does hurt the reputation of absinthe worldwide, but the market is already flooded with crapsinthe.

Also, I just noticed that the PF got dropped from PF 1901. How'd they get away with Edouard?

Pernod still makes BDJ, Doubs, La Maison, among others.

Pernot make them, not Pernod.

I see your point to a certain extent Alan, but I think what galls the absinthe community most is not that the Pernod folks don't volunteer the artificial coloring of their modern absinthe on their European label - it's that their modern absinthe is artificially-colored at all.

I share your concern as should be evident in several of my blog articles such as this and this. Then of course there is their airbrushing of history, as so well documented by Brian.

Any Pernod news from TOTC?

Ditto

I was really throwing that question at Brian or at anyone else who was at TOTC. I know someone who had been invited to taste the new Pernod Absinthe there last week, but am not aware if that actually happened or not.

the modern Pernod organization

...Which is actually the key point in all of this. They hold as much of a connection to the old Pernod Fils as I do. They do own the name, though, so I guess that's what makes them legit(?).

Pernod-Ricard =/= Pernod Fils. One is a booze distributor the other a famous belle epoque absinthe and synonymous with absinthe. The booze distributor made an absinthe with the market hype of the name,fake coloring and a lackluster product at a luxury price. Jade Liquors brought back the authentic taste of Pernod Fils Preban! What more is there to say? I will spend my money on Jade Liquors despite the label change... It's irrelevant. Pernod Ricard has a stranglehold on marketing they distribute the most popular and markethyped brands of Hard Liquor. I do drink some of the liquors they distribute. I just hope they don't mess with Jade Liquors any more.... the label change should suffice.....

Edited by Cajun Magic

Totally agree. The search function is nice, but I always liked using the 'all reviews' alphabetical listing option.

I don't see alphabetical as a choice anymore.

Is my machine being a :censor1: or is it not a search option for the review section any longer?

"Title" will put the list alphabetically . :)

I know this isn't on topic but since it's being discussed here:

I've been wanting to say for a while how much I miss the alphabetical listing. Title does put the list in alphabetical order but then you have to guess which page you need. The ABCDEF...,. choice was much more efficient. I agree with jay that just googling the name is quicker than using the current title option. Can the ABC directory be brought back?

Edited by crow

They don't even let European consumers know that their stuff is artificially colored.

I don't really want to defend Pernod, but that's a bit unfair. Like La Fée and Absente, they started sales in Europe long before sales in the USA, and unfortunately EU rules allow them to leave artificial colouring details off.

Not disclosing is one thing. But Pernod takes it FAR beyond that by misrepresenting their current offering as something that resembles their old recipe. While that's not out of the realm of normalcy in the spirits industry, it doesn't make it any more admirable.

I've been happy to hear that bartenders in the UK are dropping Pernod from their bar once they've seen the Pernod US labels, showing that it's artificially colored.

news from TOTC?

The only news I've received is that Pernod has apparently abandoned the idea of revamping the brand to create an elite, naturally colored absinthe.

Can the ABC directory be brought back?

I hope so. I miss it as well.

The only news I've received is that Pernod has apparently abandoned the idea of revamping the brand to create an elite, naturally colored absinthe.

Thats a shame... :3869-sadbanana:

Not really, considering any absinthe with the Pernod label would always be highly scrutinized and compared to the preban Pernod Fils. A lot of high expectations would be involved. Could it be done though? Probably would be my guess.

Just to avoid any confusion I've seen somewhere else: they have abandoned the idea of a premium quality absinthe but as I said on the previous page, the new improved Absinthe Pernod is already produced in France and has already been tasted by bartenders at TOTC.

It certainly could not be brought back by Pernod on the same scale as in the past. They would not be able to source the quantity and quality herbs to produce on any scale close to the old days. My hunch is they were farming this out. Who knows why they killed it, if they did. They may just be being secretive.

I met a guy last week who was invited to sample some, being told it was ready. Spin, hype, who cares. I would not be interested in something distilled by a 3rd party, then relabeled; I'd rather support artisanal distillers without paying for the markup of a big company making a profit on someone else's work.

Edit: Oops...I was typing at the same time you were Marc, and didn't see your post until I was done.

Edited by Scott M.

I was really throwing that question at Brian or at anyone else who was at TOTC.

I was there, but I was unaware of anything Pernod-Ricard was doing there; didn't know they were in town, didn't care.

I saw this today at the French forum:

Fallait pas espérer autre chose, Pernod-Ricard ne cherche qu'a s'en foutre plein les poches, le reste est futile..

Full pockets is full pockets in any language.

Just to avoid any confusion I've seen somewhere else: they have abandoned the idea of a premium quality absinthe but as I said on the previous page, the new improved Absinthe Pernod is already produced in France and has already been tasted by bartenders at TOTC.

The question is; what exactly does "improved" mean? Can anyone shed any light on this?

It means that the new product is "naturally colored." It does not mean that it isn't still made from oils.

I know this isn't on topic but since it's being discussed here:

I've been wanting to say for a while how much I miss the alphabetical listing. [...] Can the ABC directory be brought back?

Somewhere along the way the component was changed so that that function got buried. While I search for ways to bring it back to every page, you can access an alpha-menu by clicking on the "Reviews Directory" link at the top left of any page.

Screen_shot_2012_08_01_at_11.20.07_AM.png

ahhhh Gwydion! Thank you! I love that function and of course had no idea it was still available!

It means that the new product is "naturally colored." It does not mean that it isn't still made from oils.

I guess it also doesn't mean that it'll be an actual verte. May be coloured with a natural agent (e.g. pure chlorophyll). That'd be an impressive gimmick.

It means that the new product is "naturally colored."

What I was told is that the naturally colored option was abandoned.

I haven't tried anything that has been 'revamped', as far as I know. The Pernod that was at Tales didn't taste much different from when I tasted it a few years ago.

The question is; what exactly does "improved" mean? Can anyone shed any light on this?

There's a discussion about the "Return of Pernod" here:

http://www.museeabsinthe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2080

that may shed some light, but not much, and a post or two actually links to here or references the discussion here. That people in France have to look to America for what Pernod is or isn't doing helps to illustrate the sea change that has taken place when it comes to absinthe.

I can find you a nearly identical quote - and conversation - in another thread when LTV basically abandoned the same. And for the same reasons, I'm sure.

When you hold yourself out as an "authentic" absinthe, any reformulation toward being even more authentic-er basically calls into question the truthiness of your original claims, and the trustworthiness of your marketing.

Plainly put, it's an admission of guilt. Or at the very least, an admission of being nearly authentique. That would be a hoot to see on a label!

Oh, and the reduced margins, of course. It turns out making a truly authentic absinthe costs more than a bottle of cheap shit. Imagine that.

I kind on translation of what the hell is going on on musee absinthe :

Marc said : It already been produced in the south of france they might release it soon ! We all tough ( at musee absinthe) that it was send for sampling at the TOTC

Edited by EdouardPerneau

Marc said : It already been produced in the south of france they might release it soon !

Maybe they did a test batch, but from what others have told me, the 'natural' project was scrapped.