meatbag21

Pernod Absinthe Supérieure

I just did a review for this Pernod, but I added it to the reviews section since it wasn't listed. Sorta ticked at myself for spending $75 on this bottle when for the EXACT same price, I could've bought something much better. I bought it before I discovered this group.

Sincerely sorry about your unfortunate luck there...but most people around here have stepped into at least 1 pile of shit before.

It definitely gives one a perspective on what they DON'T like.

:cheers:

I think Meatbag is talking about the Pernod "aux plantes d'absinthe supérieure," and not the "Pernod aux extraits de plantes d'absinthe." Of course, whether or not there's any actual difference in the recipe, I couldn't say.

...but most people around here have stepped into at least 1 pile of shit before.

And for a few of us old timers, it was like strolling through a verdant and steaming, non-alpine cow pasture. :poop: :poop: :poop:

Edited by Absomphe

It's the same product, they just changed the label because now they can label it as "Absinthe Supérieure" in France. I was going to try to move the review under the older product, but we can't do that. It make sense to have the listing for the newer label, though.

Here's what I'd like to do: Sergio, can you copy-paste you review and scores under the listing Brian linked to above? Then I'll delete your first review and rename the listing for the current name, making a note that the product was formerly labeled "Pernod aux extraits de plantes d'absinthe". Thanks!

I heard yesterday that Pernod is unveiling a real absinthe, that they claim is made completely according to tradition. I don't know the details, but I understand it is not being distilled by them, but rather someone in Switzerland. That's all I know... Has anyone heard more?

Totally agree. The search function is nice, but I always liked using the 'all reviews' alphabetical listing option.

I don't see alphabetical as a choice anymore.

Is my machine being a :censor1: or is it not a search option for the review section any longer?

I heard yesterday that Pernod is unveiling a real absinthe, that they claim is made completely according to tradition. I don't know the details, but I understand it is not being distilled by them, but rather someone in Switzerland. That's all I know... Has anyone heard more?

I don't re-collect a specific reference to Switzerland in those discussions, but then I did have at least one more drink than you!

I can't believe they haven't bought out Ted. And then hire him as their Absinthe Supérieure master distiller. At least, that is how things are done in the industry I work in.

I don't re-collect a specific reference to Switzerland in those discussions, but then I did have at least one more drink than you!

A young guy who sat with us for a bit said something about it...or so I recall. I could be remembering incorrectly however. It may have just been hearsay or a theory, but I recall the words "somewhere in Switzerland" being tossed out, at least as a possibility. Perhaps it was from a passing diner who was commenting on the origins of their Toblerone.

Edited by Scott M.

Totally agree. The search function is nice, but I always liked using the 'all reviews' alphabetical listing option.

Is my machine being a :censor1: or is it not a search option for the review section any longer?

It isn't an option at present (at least, not that I've seen). Sometimes it's easier to use Google and type in the name of the absinthe you're interested in and then "wormwoodsociety.org review" or something similar. (You could use the Advanced Search function of Google to limit the search to the specific domain name, but that's too many more clicks and characters than I can generally be bothered to type in.)

In the interest of staying on topic, I'll note that my girl was digging deep into the back of our kitchen cabinets, and found a 2 oz sample of Pernod circa 2009 that I had (mercifully) forgotten about. Time to use absinthe in a cooking recipe!

Edited by Jay

That's all I know... Has anyone heard more?

I didn't hear anything about someone else making it, but I've heard that it will be naturally colored.

I'll be able to find out some more at Tales. They've got a few presentations that I plan on crashing. :devil:

"Title" will put the list alphabetically . :)

Sincerely sorry about your unfortunate luck there...but most people around here have stepped into at least 1 pile of shit before.

It definitely gives one a perspective on what they DON'T like.

:cheers:

My first pile of shit was Teichenne, a Spainish fauxsinthe. http://www.feeverte.net/guide/country/spain/teichenne/#more

I totally agree with Hedonmonkey. You have to know what shit tastes like before you can really appreciate the good stuff.

I can't believe they haven't bought out Ted. And then hire him as their Absinthe Supérieure master distiller. At least, that is how things are done in the industry I work in.

There are other ways to do things. Ted explained some of them to me two days ago. At this point, there's a better chance of Obama hiring Newt Gingrich to get him re-elected, and of Newt wanting the job; I'll leave it at that.

There are other ways to do things. Ted explained some of them to me two days ago. At this point, there's a better chance of Obama hiring Newt Gingrich to get him re-elected, and of Newt wanting the job; I'll leave it at that.

That's where I was leaning but since I have zero experience talking to either side I wasn't going to say anything.

I think it may have something to do with the PF -> JL name change as well as "you reverse engineered our stuff you :censor1: "

Pernod dreams they could reverse engineer their own stuff. But they lack the pride and care to provide the mental capacity that is required in making good absinthe.

No. Pernod wants you to THINK that they dream of that. The reality is they are much more concerned with profit margins than they are of quality in the absinthe arena.

They don't even let European consumers know that their stuff is artificially colored.

They don't even let European consumers know that their stuff is artificially colored.

I don't really want to defend Pernod, but that's a bit unfair. Like La Fée and Absente, they started sales in Europe long before sales in the USA, and unfortunately EU rules allow them to leave artificial colouring details off. I can't imagine any manufacturer of any artificially coloured drink would voluntarily declare information they don't have to.

What did amaze me was when Pernod Absinthe's first US label proudly displayed that onformation on the FRONT label. Long live the FD&C Yellow #5 Fairy!

Any Pernod news from TOTC?

I see your point to a certain extent Alan, but I think what galls the absinthe community most is not that the Pernod folks don't volunteer the artificial coloring of their modern absinthe on their European label - it's that their modern absinthe is artificially-colored at all.

The fact that they were marketing this "reformulation" of absinthe in the early 2000's before the resurgence of historically-authentic commercial absinthe in the U.S. is no excuse for their low standards; if anything, Pernod should have led the charge for the re-introduction of quality absinthe in modern times. The fact that they failed to do so, and instead counted on the fact that no one would notice (presumably since Czechsinthes had lowered the bar and expectations so much in the 1990s) says as much about the agenda of the modern Pernod organization as anyone really needs to know. There's nothing unfair about that conclusion.

but I understand it is not being distilled by them, but rather someone in Switzerland. That's all I know... Has anyone heard more?

It's made in France, but not Pontarlier unfortunately...

Any Pernod news from TOTC?

Ditto