#1 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hey everyone.

I've been behind schedule getting my act together about the next Musique d'Absinthe. It's given me some time to think about things.

The first two comps sold 100 copies or more, and the newest one about 30, a huge drop-off. It could be for a number of reasons but one I was considering was that there may have just been too much material coming out too quickly. So I was considering taking this year off and releasing Volume 4 at the end of 2013. I'd like to know what y'all think about that. If people really want to do it and are excited and ready to contribute, then let's go ahead and start working on it. But if not, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to let it rest for a year.

What do you say?

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,943 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

My skills are in listening.
Personally, I would miss a release this year but I understand your point. You make it. I'll buy it (this year or next as you see fit).

#3 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Any chance I get to release music somewhere is cool, but do what you need to have this project meet your expectations.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#4 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

Well, it's not about my expectations exactly.

We always end up with enough material... but always at the last minute. I spend the entire year with 3 submissions and then in the last month when I'm panicking a bunch of stuff floods in. The lack of interest during the majority of the year, combined with the relative lack of interest as a product this most recent time makes me wonder if we should give it some time to let people miss it.

But again, this thread is asking what people think, not me saying, "This is what we're gonna do." If people want to do it, let's do it.

My stupid facebutt page.

#5 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Unfortunately, the only musical talent I posess is that of appreciation!
I really enjoyed all three Volumes thus far; I listen to them regularly.
Whenever Volume 4 becomes a reality, I'll definitely support it.
:mbanana:

Edited by sardonix, 15 March 2012 - 04:51 PM.

I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#6 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

That does sound frustrating, so I can understand wanting to wait a year. I support you waiting for people to "miss it" and get fired up again, so you're not twiddling your thumbs for 11 months and then running around like a mad mad for 1 month.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#7 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,943 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

Maybe, set a deadline like October 1. If quality submissions aren't in, the CD doesn't go. No extensions. No exceptions.

Just a thought.

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

I like the idea of giving it some time off. Having said that, I have a song recorded (just needs a little editing done to it; it runs a little long and the middle section drags a bit - nothing a pair of scissors can't fix).

If it'll help sales, I'll even NOT contribute. ;)
"The decline of the aperitif may well be one of the most depressing phenomena of our time." -- Luis Bunuel

#9 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

No, don't NOT contribute, Plasticstatic! It wouldn't be the same without some of your work included.

(Your songs are among my favorites, especially Slow Drip Gaze) :)
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#10 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

I'm really surprised Vol. 3 didn't sell that well. It took me awhile to pick it up but it I was quite pleased to find it was at least as good as Vols. 1 & 2, and that includes the CD art. In some ways I thought it was a better balance of style diversity with smoother tonality transitions.

I'd miss a year without it but maybe it would be more exciting after a hiatus. As far as contributing I don't think I'll be in a better or worse position to submit something either way (unless of course I can find the time and motivation to actually start and finish more songs in the interim).
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#11 JoPatterson

JoPatterson

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

Fascinating. I've ordered all 3 for my husband and I to listen to while having our daily green hour.
Thanks.

Jo

#12 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

Hey, I'm going to do it again next year, and I'll accept submissions as of any time. Send mp3s to wsmusicproject@yahoo.com .

My stupid facebutt page.

#13 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

Cool!

Thanks, Peridot, for taking on the project.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#14 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Awwwwwwwww yeah! :headbang:

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#15 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Wow! I just came across these collections by accident. Had no idea there was an initiative like this going on! I do something similar for the developer community and am actually releasing the second collection of works on February 12th of this year.

"Emergent Collective One" [2010] - http://fracturedvisi...-collective-one
"Emergent Collective Two" [2013] - http://fracturedvisi...-collective-two

What are the project rules and such? I've love to make a contribution!

#16 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

Here's the rules from the 2011 round:

There are going to be a few differences this year. First of all, I'm going to assume full responsibility for the CD from the beginning. If anyone else wants to help they're welcome to.

Second, I'm eliminating the 8 minute song length limit. This is a double-edged sword. Yes, I'll accept long submissions and thereby allow a little more artistic freedom. However, as a work gets longer its likelihood of ending up on the final CD decreases. This year I used every work submitted and filled all 80 available minutes. And there was one more person who attempted to submit tracks but had technical issues with Mediafire and then couldn't be reached. So submit your long tracks, but just remember that if there are a lot of different people sending submissions, then longer tracks are going to get the axe first.

Which brings me to the order in which things will be cut. After two years I'm not concerned with how "good" your tracks are. They've been consistently excellent from one person to the next. Instead I'm going to be focused on technical stuff. Using this order will help me fairly and dispassionately cut tracks if I receive more material than can be used.

• Long tracks will be the first to go, based simply on the fact that it's unfair for your single 15 minute-long track to make the cut instead of three five minute tracks by three other forum members.
  • Second, multiple tracks by the same person will be cut, because it's more important for other people to get one work on the CD than for you to get three.
  • If those cuts are made and there is still too much material (highly unlikely), then tracks published elsewhere will be cut in order to focus on original music. Finally, if I have to struggle with you to get you to send me an unmastered 16-bit stereo .wav file at 44100Hz, you're cut. I accepted 24-bit .wav and .aiff files for the 2010 project and it really gummed up the works. This year if your submissions are in the wrong format it will be your responsibility to fix and resend them or they will not be used.
Submissions can be sent beginning immediately to wsmusicproject@yahoo.com and I will try to put them on the MySpace page. You may send as many submissions as you please and I'll listen to every single one of them, but the maximum number of tracks that will end up on the CD per forum member is three.

We're going to go with Kunaki again. Using their compiling and upload tool is becoming second nature.

Here are the guidelines, which are largely the same:

For music:
  • The deadline for new submissions is November 15, 2011.
  • There is no maximum song length. Just remember that as the length increases past 8 or so minutes, its chance of making the cut decreases.
  • Only WS members can submit music. One WS member can offer unlimited submissions, but only a maximum of three per forum member will be used.
  • Any style of music or listening material (even artful, ambient noise) may be submitted. Do not be shy and do not assume that your music "won't fit."
  • If you question the quality of your submission, either don't submit it, or submit it with a request for advice on how to make it better. We'll post it on the MySpace and give you feedback.
  • All music must be your own original work, or else you must obtain the permission of the original artist/ publisher to cover or remix their work.
  • Submissions must be in the form of .mp3 for the sake of evaluation. These can be sent as email attachments to wsmusicproject@yahoo.com .
  • If your track is chosen for the CD, it must be sent again in the form of a 16-bit stereo .wav file at 44100Hz. These large files can be sent via Yousendit or Mediafire.
  • Final .wav file submissions should be unmastered with peaks at -6dB or quieter. A little louder is okay but if it is reaching 0dB at any point it is unacceptable.
  • Nobody gets money; merely recognition and their work published. The few cents to a dollar of profit made off of each CD sold after fees goes back to WS. This is a dismal amount of money, not enough to be worth splitting up or setting up contracts for payments, etc.
  • Everyone retains ownership of the compositions and the recordings they submit. You can't change your mind about having your music on the CD after it is published, but you can use your composition and recording for any other purpose you desire.
  • It is preferred that submissions not be previously published elsewhere, but this is not set in stone. It is okay for some material to be pulled from other albums/ compilations but the bulk of it should be composed specifically for this compilation.
  • If we get more submissions than can be put on a CD and your track doesn't make it, don't despair. It doesn't necessarily mean it sucks, but perhaps that it doesn't fit the other material, or conversely sounds too much like another track. Or if you've submitted several items, we may only choose one or two of your tracks in order to put as diverse a range of artists on the CD as possible. If your submission is not used on this volume, offer it again for the next one.
For album art:
  • The deadline for volunteering to do the artwork is October 1, 2011. Otherwise I'll do it again.
  • The deadline for a first draft without a track listing is November 1, 2011. This is protection in case someone is not able to fulfill their responsibility so that there is enough time to come up with another solution.
  • The deadline for final artwork is December 1, 2011.
  • Only WS members can submit artwork.
  • If multiple people want to submit artwork, that's great. If this happens then it is possible that only portions of one person's work will be selected, such as just their front cover or CD image.
  • Artwork must fit the Kunaki CD template There is a single panel insert with the front cover and an inside page on it, plus a back panel and CD art. The tray is opaque black so there is no artwork under the CD. Total of 4 pieces of art needed.
  • All artwork must be in .jpeg, .jpg or .bmp format at 300dpi, RGB, 16 bit colour. No bleed areas necessary.
  • Artwork must leave a space at the bottom right-hand corner of the CD's back panel for a UPC code.
  • Artwork must be your own work. If you use somebody else's photography or artwork you must first get their permission.
  • It is preferred that the disc art be a 3 franc absinthe saucer, either photographed or illustrated. This can be stylized.
  • Nobody gets paid for this, either. Sorry.
Have fun, everyone.

#17 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Yeah, let's go with the rules from the last time again. I think that was the best way to do it.

Sorry I've been missing in action on this. Life's crazy right now. One of my two bands (Throng of Shoggoths) dissolved its original incarnation and is being reformed with new personnel, while both bands have been working on moving from our previous rehearsal space to a new one. Doesn't seem like it should be a big deal but it's actually taken up most of my attention for the last three months. One top of that I've had some health concerns. A combination of chest pain and a bad family history of heart disease has sent me twice recently to the ER. Nothing was wrong but I'm putting a lot of time into getting in proper shape and researching healthy activities and diet. On top of all of that I'm having to have a lot of car maintenance done right now as it's reached that perfect point mid-life where you have to replace the everything on it.

This should all hopefully sort of mellow out over the next month or so.

My stupid facebutt page.

#18 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

@peridot - I've recently become aware of how important "getting into shape" has become. Spend most of my days in front of a computer and have become quite... "fragile" because of that. Let's see how I might counteract a decade of this... Ugh. 

Be well... I have some ideas for a contribution so... :)

#19 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

I have a submission that should be ready to pass along in the next few weeks.

Is wsmusicproject@yahoo.com still a valid address to send the eval .mp3 to? I know Yahoo! recently purges a boatload of emails and it has caused problems for people...

#20 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Yeah, that's the address.

Even though things are crazy where I am, I'm still going to get this together if people are interested in making submissions. We still need someone to do the artwork.

My stupid facebutt page.

#21 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

I an certainly help with the artwork if desired.

So... wormwood people! Who's up for contributing??? Let's hear some interest!

#22 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

I might be able to throw down for artwork as well. And perhaps a bit more...

What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#23 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

No promises but I'll definitely attempt to get a song or more finished for this one.

#24 preston

preston

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

where can we hear samples of previous Musique d'Absinthe volumes?

...teach me...

#25 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

Have a second track for this almost complete. JOIN IN, ALL!!!

#26 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

Edward from Edward III absinthe wants to add a track as well, so let me know what to tell him.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#27 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

Send an mp3 version of any submissions to wsmusicproject@yahoo.com . The parameters are in post #16 of this thread.

I only have one submission so far for this year, so we definitely need more if we're going to actually make this happen. I haven't recorded anything yet but I'm going to be working on a song very soon. Had a bunch of disasters this summer to deal with.

If anyone is actually doing artwork, please let me know for certain, and start working on drafts. I tried to come up with some ideas a while back but they all sucked so I'd rather not do it.

My stupid facebutt page.

#28 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

If JosephLabrecque wants to do art, that'd be cool...if not I'd be willing to do it again.

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#29 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

If JosephLabrecque wants to do art, that'd be cool...if not I'd be willing to do it again.

I plan on submitting 2 tracks already - so don't want to be over-represented! However, I am fine doing any of the art that might be needed as well.

Honestly - just let me know what is needed/preferred when the time comes. 

Maybe we can start a Google Doc or something to organize contributions in terms of both art and recordings - would that be helpful? 

#30 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

Amber, you're welcome to do art again. Could this edition have a blanche theme? What you did with rouge last time was really excellent.

I don't think a google doc is necessary, pretty much because we don't have enough people offering to do stuff to make it worthwhile. Usually the submissions start pouring in 2 weeks before the deadline, but I'm a little worried that there wasn't as much direct interest this year as there usually is. I don't like flying blind. Normally more people say "I'll get something in, promise!"

When I can I'm going to do some tracking but I don't plan on having more than one for this year.

My stupid facebutt page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association