25 replies to this topic

#1 Adam and Steff

Adam and Steff

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

for the last week or so my wife and I have been tripping and stumbling our way into the world of absinthe. living in houston, texas you don't hear much more than the usual gossip regarding the green fairy so when years of curiosity finally got the better of me I hopped on the internet. I found that absinthe was not only no longer illegal but that you could purchase the real deal online. my "research" from this point consisted basically of me jumping from site to site searching for the most expensive and attractive absinthe available. only after purchasing a bottle of absinthe king of spirits gold and a bottle of absinthe35 did I find the wormwood society and your reviews of the products I had just squandered so much money on. I quickly sent an email request to the vendor, simply named buy-czech-absinthe.com (my cheeks redden with embarrassment at my own obvious folly), and requested an immediate order cancellation and refund. that was all of four days ago, I've yet to get confirmation of my refund, and I get the sinking feeling that this "absinthe" which I've now heard nothing but negative things about is going to show up on my doorstep. in the meantime I've also purchased a spoon and glass set from absinthiana and three more bottles of absinthe (la grenouille, alandia suisse verte, and alandia strong68) two for their respectable flavor and one more for effect. so, I'm expecting some form of absinthe any day now and however it turns out I'm thrilled to have found such a direct outlet for information on the subject.

#2 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,753 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Greetings! :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#3 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,280 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

Welcome. :cheers:

Sorry to hear about the rough beginning, but how are you gonna know until you know? Y'know?

three more bottles of absinthe (la grenouille, alandia suisse verte, and alandia strong68) two for their respectable flavor and one more for effect.

Here's some more unfortunate news: that whole "effect" thing is basically bullshit. Sure, some folks feel a little less stupified when they drink absinthe, and there can be a brief little glow about 15 to 20 minutes in (anethole is a mild stimulant), but it's not very obvious. And drinking more absinthe just makes you drunker.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#4 Adam and Steff

Adam and Steff

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

thank you! as I come to understand and respect what absinthe truly is I am also learning what to/not to expect from it. and fortunately I didn't pay anything near what the kosg cost for all three of the others combined :thumbup: the more you know!

#5 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

Czech Strong68 was my first absinth. I avoid it to this day. Joe and I tripped and stumbled our way to quality absinthe too.
Welcome! :cheers:
I am the wood nymph.

#6 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Welcome!
La Grenouille, and the Suisse Verte are both good introductions to absinthe.

Just a little note, it really helps if you capitalize, per the rules (Link, #3). It makes things much easier to read. :twitchsmile: Maybe also break up a long post into paragraphs as well. :police:

Other than that, great introduction post. :cheers:
I am sure you will find a Texan or two will have some suggestions what is available in your area. I think you will love this place, and all the resources here!

Edited by TheLoucheyMonster!, 03 March 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#7 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Strong68 was my first as well, and I forget how much sugar I added by the time I gave up and donated the bottle. Maybe 3 cubes. Welcome. :cheers:

#8 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

Welcome to the forum from Rosharon TX. :cheers:

The main Spec's (smith st.) does have Vieux Carre, which is IMHO a very good absinthe.
For others there is Catskills Cellars. Exellent service and selection, not a bad absinthe in the bunch, and some very reasonably priced ones too. an order of Pacifique, Meadow of Love, and Ridge Blanche would get you a very nice selcgtion and free shipping. so would Pacifique, Ridge Verte, and La Clandestine. Or just about any combo that puts you over $150. She does not sell a single crappy absinthe, they are all good.
Check out our preferred vendors list, it will steer your straight, and avoid peddling to vendors of ill repute.

If you haven't got travel plans for June, the Great American Absinthe Festival in Montana would be a great way to learn and meet some of the nicest/coolest people on this green earth.

There is a very decent and cheap substitute available in Houston, with a slightly biased historian that comes with it. It has the picture of the Old Absinthe House in nola, on a yellow label. It's called Herbsaint Legendre.

The anvil bar has a good rep, but I do most of my absinthe drinking at home.

#9 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

Welcome to the WS! :cheers:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#10 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Most of us have made that rough start. It's ok to admit. ;)

Welcome to the forum and as one member posted, The FIRST ever Great American Absinthe Festival will be in Whitefish, Montana. It's still early enough to get decent flights and there are some rooms left at the Kandahar Lodge.

Love to have you. There will be some very good booze and better people at this event.

Welcome to the forum. :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#11 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Thankfully you made your way here so soon into your absinthe adventure. Welcome. Jump on and enjoy the ride. It's gonna be a long trip :biggrin:

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#12 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

Hedonistic, wise-ass brat.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

:cheers:

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#13 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,003 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Welcome to the forum. :cheers: Many of us had a very rough start so don't feel embarrassed. Maybe that's why we stuck around, to help others avoid our mistakes.

There will be some very good booze and better people at this event.

That could be the understatement of the year. ;)

#14 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

That could be the understatement of the year.

I like to start early. ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#15 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Welcome to the forum from Rosharon TX. :cheers:There is a very decent and cheap substitute available in Houston, with a slightly biased historian that comes with it. It has the picture of the Old Absinthe House in nola, on a yellow label. It's called Herbsaint Legendre.

The anvil bar has a good rep, but I do most of my absinthe drinking at home.

It's Legendre Herbsaint Marion Legendre liked having his name first.

Anvil is excellent for cocktails, or swing by AvantGarden....don't go to Absinthe, they still do the burning sugar cube nonsense.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#16 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Welcome! :arrr:
If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

Beware La Machine à décerveler! Oops, too late ...

#17 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

:wave2: Welcome!
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#18 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

Hello & welcome to the WS! :cheers:
I know I've definitely had my share of mediocre and flat-out bad absinthe along the way, many others here will tell you the same. It's a learning experience. :laugh:
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#19 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,736 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

Howdy Podners. :cheers:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#20 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:02 AM

Greetings--it's all uphill from here! :cheers:
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#21 distill my beating heart

distill my beating heart

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:14 AM

Greetings and Welcome! :cheers: As The Man says, how you gonna know until you know? Truer words were never spoken.
If we make it, we can sit back and relax...

#22 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

Hello and welcome! :cheers:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#23 Adam and Steff

Adam and Steff

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

Thank you all so kindly for such a warm welcome! You guys truly have a wonderful community here and I look forward to sharing as well as learning. I'll keep you all posted and let you know my first impressions!

#24 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,040 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Welcome! :cheers:
"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#25 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• 2,847 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Welcome!

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#26 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

Welcome! My first "absinthes" weren't much better.

Your taste buds will tell you everything you need to know when you crack open those bottles.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association