• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Pitch, yes, thank you. I seem to remember reading years ago that the cypress vessels at Dixie were lined with exactly that, now that you mention it. I don't know if that meant some of them or all of them, or whether there was something else in place like Bud's "beechwood aging".

Cypress was once a common material in Louisiana, and everything from paddles to cisterns (houses, too) was made with it, because for wood, it has uncommon durability even under water. The reasons the brewery used it may just that simple.

Even so, the beer had a tang for which woody isn't a bad descriptor.

Edited by Artemis, 02 March 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#32 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Jackson Brewing went out of business, but I think they sold the formula for Jax beer to Pearl (Texas).
I don't remember anything special about it; it was probably on a par with other regional "American Pilseners", such as Falstaff, Pearl, etc. which means, at least to me, made with corn adjuncts, light-colored, tart. The building is a shopping mall, but there is (or was, I don't know) a decent brewpub close by.

Someone had a red creme soda called "Pop Rouge" at one time, maybe that was Barqs.

The thing I miss is Creole Cream Cheese. There were only two, and now one is gone, due to an explosion at the dairy last year.

Mello Joy commercials give the impression they were here all along, but I don't remember seeing it until recently - if it was gone and brought back, I guess that would explain that.

For a feel good return story, it's hard to top Herbsaint. I've tried to talk Jay into working on the return of Picayune cigarettes, the very definition of a coffin nail.

Another NOLA drink that's gone is Dr. Nut, an almond-flavored soda pop. Most people never heard of it unless they've read Confederacy of Dunces, but I remember the bottle with the squirrel on it - very quirky product, just the thing for Ignatius J. Reilly.

I've got a couple of vintage packs of Picayune "nails", unfortunately I can't smoke with my lousy lungs.
Someone is supposedly making Picayune blend pipe tobbacco :
http://www.pipesandc...prpito40gt.html

I always stocked up on Dr. Nut soda when we drove through Louisiana on our road trips back in the 70s, I always like that one.....My folks should have settled in NOLA.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#33 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

Come to think of it, you'd make a fine Ignatius on the big screen ...

If only you didn't dress so well.

Edited by Artemis, 02 March 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#34 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Pitch, yes, thank you. I seem to remember reading years ago that the cypress vessels at Dixie were lined with exactly that, now that you mention it. I don't know if that meant some of them or all of them, or whether there was something else in place like Bud's "beechwood aging".

Cypress was once a common material in Louisiana, and everything from paddles to cisterns (houses, too) was made with it, because for wood, it has uncommon durability even under water. The reasons the brewery used it may just that simple.

Even so, the beer had a tang for which woody isn't a bad descriptor.

Cypress was used almost exclusively for brewing/whiskey equipment and fermenters in the US. Our current fermenters are cypress. Tidewater Cypress has a neat quirk in that it contains a chemical that is toxic to termites: cypressene.

Beechwood aging is the practice of floating wood chips in a fermenter. The yeast clings to the bottom of the chips, making it so that the beer ferments more quickly and completely because the normally bottom fermenting yeast (Bud uses a lager strain) is both at the top and the bottom of the fermenter.

Wish I could try a pint of that beer, Artemis. Same goes for the Dr. Nut, actually. I've always loved regionalized candies and sodas.

#35 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

You should try Boylan's (New Jersey) pop if you haven't already. Definitely old-school, good stuff.

#36 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Come to think of it, you'd make a fine Ignatius on the big screen ...

If only you didn't dress so well.

It's the shirts, I can't help it.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#37 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

I'll never forget the day they noticed me drinking the deceptively strong (8.2% abv) Belgian ale Duvel, and ragged on me for not drinking a more manly brew. At which point, I cracked open the remnants of my six pack, and invited three of them to join me. After they had drained the contents of their bottles, each one felt compelled to dive off the roof of the utility shed into the swimming pool. Lester was the last one to dive, and he, er, um, well...missed, and broke his leg.

After that, those guys never denigrated the manliness of my beer choices, and we even became pretty good buddies. Life's funny like that, sometimes.

Now thats a tale to tell Absomphe. Preciate it.

Edited by Songcatcher, 02 March 2012 - 06:52 PM.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#38 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

You should try Boylan's (New Jersey) pop if you haven't already. Definitely old-school, good stuff.

Love Boylans. I've had their root beer and cream soda.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#39 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

I've heard budweiser and Michelob are amazing before the filtering, pasteurizing, and watering. Their hops room has lead to some award winning home-brews. For those lucky enough to get a golden ticket and see the brewery

#40 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

I like Boylan's black cherry - it's heavy and intense. Their birch beer is good, too - they've been making it for 120 years.

#41 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

I've heard budweiser and Michelob are amazing before the filtering, pasteurizing, and watering.

While Budweiser is not my typical go to beer, the Budweiser (not Bud Light, but fully leaded Budweiser) sold in STL has always tasted much better than when I've had it outside of the STL area, and can even be enjoyable on a hot summer day. I almost wonder if what we get locally is fresher or somehow a notch better than what is found elsewhere. :g:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#42 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,620 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

Now thats a tale to tell Absomphe. Preciate it.

You're most welcome.

Especially for putting up with my senile rhapsodic rambling. :wheelchair: ;) :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe, 03 March 2012 - 03:31 PM.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association