#1 staggbr

staggbr

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hi,

Over several months I've been learning about and making spirits and cocktails. More recently I've taken an interest in absinthe, but have never tried it. I've noticed that you need to spend about $150 - $160 AUD to get a respectable absinthe, so I've got a few questions before lashing out to buy one.

First, there is a lot of interest surrounding absinthe, but I could spend an equivalent amount on about 4 other spirits which would really develop my liquor collection and cocktail repertoire, so I was wondering if it actually a particularly enjoyable drink?

I'm considering Mansinthe at $140 AUD, or Duplais Blanche at $145, or Jade PF 1901 at $199 or Jade VS 1898 at $199. Which is the Jade varieties is better? And is it worth spending the extra money on the Jade varieties listed?

Thanks!

#2 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,170 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Welcome to the forum. :wave2:

Just my humble opinion that all the Jades are worth it ........ to me.

Duplais Blanche is a good drink.

I've never tried Mansinthe. <shrug>

If you are concerned about money then maybe the Mansinthe and Duplais would be good to start.

If you like those then the Jades will really be eye openers.

Of the things you listed, none are bad. Really!

:cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#3 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Welcome staggbr. You are correct that absinthe can be an expensive proposition, and thus a risk for someone who has never tried it; however, no one can predict if you personally will like it and view it as worth the money. Obviously those of us who are regulars on the forum enjoy it and believe it is a worthwhile pursuit, but that doesn't mean you will. I remember taking my first leap of faith and ordering 3 bottles to the tune of around $300 US. I'm not suggesting that you should do the same, but obviously curiosity has brought you here. Only you can decide if it's worth it to pursue that first chance purchase. For a beginner, I'd suggest starting with one of the less expensive options you have listed, as that should be sufficient to tell you if you'll like absinthe as a beverage overall. From there you can always move up the scale. Spend some time reading the review section on the main page. That should provide you with some idea of which bottle you may want to start with. :cheers:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#4 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Read, read, read. Everything you want to know about absinthe and more, is right here at your clicky tips. :wave2:
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#5 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,012 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

I my opinion, I would choose the Jade PF1901 out of the ones you mentioned. :cheers:
"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#6 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

Welcome to the Forum! :arrr:
If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

Beware La Machine à décerveler! Oops, too late ...

#7 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Welcome!

I might be the only person on this forum who isn't crazy about the jades. I've tried 1901 and eduaord... my husband and most others seem to love them. Duplais verte and duplais balance are two of my favorites, but I've never tried the Blanche. I think of those you mention, mansinthe is the least well received. Read the reviews.

The best thing to do is to try to find bars that serve absinthe and taste it there before you commit to a bottle. Problem is, unless you're in a big city or you get lucky, most bars either don't have it or if they do they could have crappy stuff that might turn you off.

Personally, I have never been enthralled with any particular type of alcohol until I tried absinthe. I''ve only been drinking it for six months and I still can't believe how willing I am to shell out the big bucks to explore what my husband calls my "beautiful obsession." In my opinion, it is worth every cent.

Have fun.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#8 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,894 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

Crow has some very good points. In particular, I would suggest that the Duplais is probably a better entry level absinthe than the Jades. I like the Jades and the Duplais but if I was giving advice to a friend that hadn't tried absinthe and was putting his/her own money up, I would recommend the Duplais Verte. It is a well-crafted absinthe, darn tasty and completely approachable. The Jades are more complex but that's not a bad thing, either. Certainly, Duplais is more affordable and since it is a high quality absinthe, I would steer you in that direction until you knew absinthe was a likeable drink.

Welcome to the Forum. :cheers:
(Would you like for me to relocate this thread to the Newcomers section?)

#9 staggbr

staggbr

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the helpful and encouraging replies! Joe - Please feel free to relocate this thread. My apologies for not even noticing the newcomers section. Kind regards,

#10 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:34 AM

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

Follow the spectacular advice already given, and the yellow brick road should lead you to where the green fairy resides in oz. Somewhere in here is a thread about a good absinthe bar in oz. If you can visit it, you could buy a glass, let them prepare it for ya, and see if you like it.

#11 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,410 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

Read, read, read. Everything you want to know about absinthe and more, is right here at your clicky tips. :wave2:

What he said.

And, personally, I'd go for Pacifique or Meadow of Love over any of the choices you mentioned, and that would be from a taste and value perspective.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#12 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:16 AM

Hey! I agree with the clown! I would also add Obsello (Spanish and reasonably priced) and of course Duplais Verte to his list. All mild and very tasty.

Actually, now that I think of it, Duplais Verte is slightly more tangy than the others. One of my favs, though.

Edited by crow, 01 March 2012 - 05:19 AM.

"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#13 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,894 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:03 AM

And, personally, I'd go for Pacifique...

The "150-160 AUD" wasn't a good enough hint for you, Abs? :laugh: Tell Zman to get his ass in gear and ship a boatload of absinthe to Australia! ;)

Enjoy yourself, staggbr. :cheers:

#14 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

Welcome to the WS! :cheers:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#15 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,702 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

Howdy Podner. :cheers:

I agree with Joe. Duplais Verte is an excellent introductory absinthe.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#16 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

I guess the real problem is that I think the verte is not an option...I've never tried Duplais Blanche, but it's supposed to be pretty decent. Mansinthe is fairly simplistic as far as flavors go, I've found it good to sample out to people at parties.

The bottle of Jade 1901 I got was ok, but I really like the VS. That's been a turning-point absinthe for quite a few friends that I gave lesser-quality absinthes to who thought absinthe was tolerable...once they tasted the VS you could see the light come on and they were quite impressed (and covetously guarding their glass.)
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#17 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Welcome, staggbr! My advice would be too go with the Mansinthe out of the ones you've listed. It's a verte (which, in case you didn't realize, means it's a green absinthe, as opposed to the white blanches), it's average but representative of absinthe in general so that you can decide if you would like others, and it's the cheapest.

Also, don't forget that absinthe is quite unlike anything else, so it may take two or three glasses (not necessarily in one night) before you can determine if you like it or not.

Good luck!

#18 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

...And, personally, I'd go for Pacifique or Meadow of Love over any of the choices you mentioned, and that would be from a taste and value perspective.

The airline ticket might eat up any savings. :)

Edited by Miguel, 01 March 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#19 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Here is an article on the BBC about a good absinthe bar in Austrailia. I don't know how far are you from Sydney, but the write ups and reports, sure look good.

Edited by Miguel, 01 March 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#20 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,410 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

The "150-160 AUD" wasn't a good enough hint for you, Abs? :laugh:

For sopme damnable reason, every time I see AUD, I think it's referring to Austrian currency.

Quick, somebody slap me, and throw another shrimp on the barbie for me, while you're at it! :laf:

Edited by Absomphe, 01 March 2012 - 02:55 PM.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#21 billnchristy

billnchristy

• Bronze Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

That's still a hike from Washington and NY.
:twitchsmile:

#22 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Welcome to the forums. :wave2:

If you can make it to that bar linked to above, try some glasses of the stuff before buying a whole bottle.

If you can't then, I'd try the Duplais first. If you find that you really enjoy absinthe, then shell out money for some of the Jades. Since you are just curious I'd start at a lower price point.

For what it's worth Jade 1901 and VS are good, but Jade Edouard and Nouvelle Orleans are mighty fine in my book.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#23 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

Personally, I have never been enthralled with any particular type of alcohol until I tried absinthe. I''ve only been drinking it for six months and I still can't believe how willing I am to shell out the big bucks to explore what my husband calls my "beautiful obsession." In my opinion, it is worth every cent.

I can so relate to this! I have always been a beer drinker, and mead when I was making it, and have passed on most spirits, but now I have 8 types of absinthe representing 6 distilleries and all three colors, and will continue to expand my cabinet of bottles!

I still drink beer every now and then, but I generally have a glass of absinthe most every night of the week.
- The question isn't if you CAN do it . . .
- The question is should you . . .

#24 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

Greetings, and welcome to the WS!
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#25 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

Right! Welcome to WS! (from another relative newcomer!) :wave2:
- The question isn't if you CAN do it . . .
- The question is should you . . .

#26 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

Welcome and good luck with your search. :cheers:
I am the wood nymph.

#27 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

All sound advice. Greetings, staggbr! There are a great many cocktails (both modern and classic) that are made with absinthe. There are a lot of mixed drinks that are made better with absinthe as well. Welcome! :arrr:
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#28 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

.. ....
I still drink beer every now and then, but I generally have a glass of absinthe most every night of the week.

:thumbup:
Ditto. :cheers:

With rare exceptions for whisky, wine, and rum.

#29 billnchristy

billnchristy

• Bronze Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

I haven't had a glass in over a week.

First we were away in Boston and then I got sick. Finally well enough to make merry.

#30 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Welcome! :cheers: The aforementioned bar looks like a great starting point. I'm still partial to PF 1901 since it was my first Jade. You can order 50ml samples online, but you won't find any of the Jades there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association